Anyone visit Lumileds?

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their office quarters (or at least one of, but it looks like HQ) is located near my office in Silicon Valley. I wanted to stop by and see if they had a factory tour or anything =D but I doubt they do. But maybe? Anyone tried?

You'd figure they'd want to meet some people who are crazy about their products =) But I guess I shouldn't bring my Cree-modded Elly in there.

stoven

Newly Enlightened
I think they only manufacture the emitter die there. All LED manufacturing is done in their Malaysian plant. They just opened up a factory in Singapore to also make the die. It is much easier to ship the die up to Malaysia and all other asian manufacturers from Singapore than from California. From what it sounds like to me, the California plant most likely will cut back on die production accept for filling orders for U.S. manufacturing companies (which probably isn't much anymore). Maybe they will close their U.S. manufacturing plant all together and just keep their office here.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woah, interesting! Stoven, are you in the industry?

By the die, you mean the bond wires and the actual diodes themselves - and then the rest (the casing, lead wires, etc.) are all manufactured in Malaysia?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're referring to the former HP campus on Trimble that houses Agilent and Lumileds, I think that is mostly office space. But that is the corporate headquarters for Lumileds division of Philips, and their only San Jose location. I don't know if they take visitors without an appointment or do any manufacturing per se there. Probably best to inquire by calling first, 964-2900, and scheduling an appointment if they do accept visitors.

mcmc said:
Their office quarters (or at least one of, but it looks like HQ) is located near my office in Silicon Valley. I wanted to stop by and see if they had a factory tour or anything =D but I doubt they do. But maybe? Anyone tried?

You'd figure they'd want to meet some people who are crazy about their products =) But I guess I shouldn't bring my Cree-modded Elly in there.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think some people might not be aware that Singapore is a city-state on the tip of an island, and that the rest of the island is called Malaysia. ;)

But you are right, outsourcing manufacturing to Asia is common with many US companies now. I understand that even Singaporean companies are outsourcing their manufacturing to the lower labor cost of Malaysia, though I don't think it will be long before that all ends up going to China.

stoven said:
I think they only manufacture the emitter die there. All LED manufacturing is done in their Malaysian plant. They just opened up a factory in Singapore to also make the die. It is much easier to ship the die up to Malaysia and all other asian manufacturers from Singapore than from California. From what it sounds like to me, the California plant most likely will cut back on die production accept for filling orders for U.S. manufacturing companies (which probably isn't much anymore). Maybe they will close their U.S. manufacturing plant all together and just keep their office here.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyes, yep that's the one...I work on Barber Ln, near the fwy. I guess you're a Silicon Valley worker too eh?

Maybe I'll give 'em a call..it would be neat to see how the dies are made - unless it's all office space like you said...

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think some people might not be aware that Singapore is a city-state on the tip of an island, and that the rest of the island is called Malaysia. ;)

But you are right, outsourcing manufacturing to Asia is common with many US companies now. I understand that even Singaporean companies are outsourcing their manufacturing to the lower labor cost of Malaysia, though I don't think it will be long before that all ends up going to China.

stoven said: