Are there any good CREEs with flood

Lumenation

Newly Enlightened
I just got the Lumapower M1 CREE and it is a great light. But it's main purpose is for throw. With all the light that a CREE puts out, I would love to have some flood like the Surefire L5 or L4. Is there a CREE light likes this out yet?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only the Draco (Cree upgraded), that I am aware of. The beam looks just like an L4.

I really wish one of these companies like Lumapower or Fenix would use a more shallow reflector for one of their Cree based lights. I think, though, feedback tells them everybody is looking for throw, which really isn't true. The D-Mini got the "D-Flood" reflector, but it still isn't what I'd call floody.

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
You need a Huntlight XR-e with the new orange peel reflector. Its sweet and you will love them.

[font=ARIAL, VERDANA, HELVETICA]
[font=ARIAL, VERDANA, HELVETICA] Huntlight FT01XSE XR-E Cree P4

[/font]
[/font]
:grin2:

Lumenation

Newly Enlightened
I got the Orange Peel reflector with my Lumapower M1, and by no means is this thing floody. The hotspot is smaller than my L2P. I like the light, but I would love to see how a CREE would look in a flood reflector

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I think this is about the third thread concerning a request for Cree/SSC lights with a floodier beam pattern. On the other hand, I think there have been at least 50 threads concerning how awesome the throw is on the M1 and/or DMini.

icon10.gif

I think the majority of reason that we have pretty much only seen throw Cree/SSC lights is because the smaller companies feel that most of their demographic will either prefer more throw to flood or won't have a strong preference. Also, in my opinion, there's only so much brightness that can be used in limited distances... if that makes any sense. I've long been a fan of a balanced beam leaning more towards flood than pure throw, but there have been more times I've been using a KL1 type beam (actually, a modded G&P module in a Vital Gear) where I wished for more brightness than when using a KL4 head.

Plus, I think the Cree/SSC die is inherantly throwy on it's own compared to the Lux V.

cutlerylover

Banned
Lumenation said:
I like the light, but I would love to see how a CREE would look in a flood reflector

same here, 9 out of 10 times I use my flashlights for the "wall of light" rather than using them for throw...as far as practical lights that get used in my house flood is where its at for me!

The throw monsters are reserved for showing off...lol :grin2:

SEMIJim

Enlightened
My perception that most of these new lights over-emphasize throw, rather than something more "balanced," is one of the reasons I've yet to pull the trigger on one of them.

Supernam

Enlightened
I agree. My Inova X5 was my favorite light when I went camping and hiking in Yosemite last summer. I found that the flood lit up the whole path making it safe to hike down the steep rocks during my night hike down from half dome. The floodier light was also less offending to the night adapted eyes. This hasn't been discussed here much, but I also notice that when using a light with a spot, the user tends to follow or focus on where the spot is pointing. With a flood, you are more likely to survey the entire lit up area which makes you more aware of your surroundings. Less tunnelvision in a sense.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
A good balance of throw and flood is my CM modded Cree KL6. The deep reflector captures all of the Cree's light output, producing a nice hotspot with great fill in flood. Much better flood, and much more flood than the lux V led that used to reside in my KL6. The Seoul, on the other hand would totally emphasise throw.

Bill

protein_man

Newly Enlightened
The cree cannot be swapped for a lux V due to their different voltages. A lux V runs approx double the voltage of a cree.

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened
Well, it's not a cheap light, but the tiny cr2 ION has an amazing, super smooth flood. On the low setting you get 35-40 hours of light. Really good for reading or navigating dark trails. When reading there's no annoying hotspot, and for trail walking on dark nights the wide smooth flood does not annoy dark adapted eyes and provides excellent broad illumination. It has limited range but nothing hides from it up close. Just a stellar little light for close use. Very practical (if expensive). CREE based. I've got one of the older IONs based on the CREE Xlamp. Apparently the newer ions based on the XRE do not sport quite as smooth a flood, but I don't have first hand experience.

This light is always with me, on the keychain. I don't regret shelling out the $150.00 for this little light.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I think as a sweeping generalisation, the smaller the head and reflector,
the more likely the light will be more flood orientated.