Why do you modd your precious lights?

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi to all,

I just wanted to know the reason(s) behind modding of production lights. I have been around the forum for about 3 months now and I have seen many of the members seek information about dismantling heads, emitters, cuircuit boards, batteries, chargers, reflectors, you name it. I could understand why one seek for a custom flashlight and/or upgrades current lightswith parts from manufacturer. Does it not matter to you that by modding a production lite warranty by manufacturer will be effected or maybe worse spoiling your precious light? Cost wise, I am sure modding adds more cost. Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a lite that fits your specifications in the first place? Is it part of being a flashoholic? Or are we just being human, creatures that shall never be satisfied?

Appreciate your comments and thanks in advance.:)
Meor

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
No light is perfect. Too small, too big, too short a runtime, too narrow a beam, too fancy, too yellow, too blue---you name it. Modders mod to get closer to individual perfection and, as we all know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Karl

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I envy the people with the kind of skill to mod lights. I do not posess it. I have asked a member of cpf to mod a light for me. I believe people do it to make the light more their own (like a car, motorcycle ect.) I wanted it done because I really like a couple of my lights except for the brightness. My energizer hard case tactical would be a incredible light if it had a cree led instead of its lux 1. I also wish I could put (have put) a cree into my survivorLED instead of its lux 3, but see no way for anyone to get into it. Others with more skill and experience might have different comments, but for me, its trying to make the light the manufacture did not in the first place.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is some logic to modding cheap lights. If you follow certain posters, you see that they track down "diamonds in the rough" - cheap flashlights of generally sound construction that can be made into excellent flashlights by changing one or two key components and perhaps doing a bit of repair work (grinding, epoxying to make waterproof, etc.).

some cheap and easy mods (like putting in a powerful drop-in LED module into an old Maglite, for example) can easily be worth it - you get a very big throw, for instance, and plenty of runtime given the 3xD or 4xD formfactors, without buying a light that costs $80-90 bucks. These lights may not be your main EDC or even outdoor lights, but can certaintly serve around the house or in a car as emergency backups.

I do find it strange, though, as I think you do, for people to want to mod already expensive lights (like Surefires). Better not to buy such a light in the first place or, if you bought it and it has become unsatisfactory because technology has moved on, better to sell it and buy a similar new light with the new tech.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is nothing precious about any of my lights, they're just tools, no emotional attachment. If the get lost or broken they just get replaced. In some cases, the desired light just isn't sold on the market. If it is, you are correct that in many cases it would be preferable to guy the production light, especially if it's intended usage may be in a high profile public setting. In other cases, it just may not be affordable for some to buy the production model, so they may choose to modify an existing product to bring it up to the performance standards of the light that they desire. And in the case of others, there is just a desire for more regardless of the level of performance from the production product, regardless of cost.

jumpstat said:
Does it not matter to you that by modding a production lite warranty by manufacturer will be effected or maybe worse spoiling your precious light? Cost wise, I am sure modding adds more cost. Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a lite that fits your specifications in the first place? Is it part of being a flashoholic? Or are we just being human, creatures that shall never be satisfied?

Appreciate your comments and thanks in advance.:)
Meor

Catapult

Enlightened
Because manufacturers are often too chicken to bump it up a notch due to lower reliability, dangers, lawsuits, etc. Some of us want raw power! More voltage! More light! More heat! Thermal runaway? Melted reflector? Compromised bulb/LED life? Short runtime? Warranty? Who cares, it's bright! Without modding, such lights would not exist.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some lights are so good they haven't been surpassed feature wise but they have been surpass in brightness. A simple swap of an emitter or upgrade of the battery pack or switch can bring them back to the bleeding edge again.

Why I did it was to make my lights brighter and or last longer than it did with the old technology.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I do agree that, certain cheap lites having been modded may fare better and sometimes surpass more expensive branded lights. This to me gives satisfaction to the modder/owner as this as a great achievement. Is this whats its all about?
Nontheless, many modded hosts that I see in the forums are already good designed lightm from established manufacturers/brands. Isn't it easier and better to just provide adequecies from current offering to manufacturers/brands in the hope of better upgraded future models from the?

Last edited:

firefly99

Enlightened
Well said, Jumpstat and flashy bazook.

jumpstat said:
Does it not matter to you that by modding a production lite warranty by manufacturer will be effected or maybe worse spoiling your precious light? Cost wise, I am sure modding adds more cost. Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a lite that fits your specifications in the first place?
Meor
Voiding the manufacturer warranty and damaged lights are risks you take when enaging in modding activities.

It does matter to me. Agreed buying a light that suits you in the first place, is a great idea. That why every light that I purchase will not be resold.

flashy bazook said:
there is some logic to modding cheap lights. If you follow certain posters, you see that they track down "diamonds in the rough" - cheap flashlights of generally sound construction that can be made into excellent flashlights by changing one or two key components and perhaps doing a bit of repair work (grinding, epoxying to make waterproof, etc.).

some cheap and easy mods (like putting in a powerful drop-in LED module into an old Maglite, for example) can easily be worth it - you get a very big throw, for instance, and plenty of runtime given the 3xD or 4xD formfactors, without buying a light that costs $80-90 bucks. These lights may not be your main EDC or even outdoor lights, but can certaintly serve around the house or in a car as emergency backups.
Agreed. Especially, if the mod add value to the whole package and does not damage the light structurally, mod is reversible and safe for family members to use.

flashy bazook said:
I do find it strange, though, as I think you do, for people to want to mod already expensive lights (like Surefires). Better not to buy such a light in the first place or, if you bought it and it has become unsatisfactory because technology has moved on, better to sell it and buy a similar new light with the new tech.

Some LED light lovers choose to purchase SF A2 instead of a 100% LED based lights such as SF U2 or SF Kroma. Then suggesting to replace A2 incan lamp with a CREE LED. This mod even if it is possible, does not add value to the light and is a waste of time and effort. Selling the A2 and getting the U2 or Kroma would be cheaper.

Manufacturers designed tools to a certain specifications, so that the tool performances can meet defined standards in a recommended operating environment.

It is one thing to trust your life with a light directly from Surefire. But it would be foolish to trust a modded light, even if it has a Surefire logo, that has it wall thickness reduced, so it can take rechargeable batteries.

Last edited:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just started moding with some tail caps gone wild!! I wish I was more inclined as it is just fun to build a useful tool..

I may start with some led swaps one day... I just need the guts first!

with that being said.. a huge cheers to the CPF and the modders who helped me with my tail caps!!!! You guys rock!!!

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
firefly99 said:
Manufacturers designed tools to a certain specifications, so that the tool performances can meet defined standards in a recommended operating environment.

It is one thing to trust your life with a light directly from Surefire. But it would be foolish to trust a modded light, even if it has a Surefire logo, that has it wall thickness reduced, so it can take rechargeable batteries.

This I agree. For those whom are firemen/police/military/rescue/oil and gas/harzadous industry where life is at stake, production light with specific requirements is a must. Tools being tools, if modified may degrade rather than improve on its overall integrity and reliability.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
In some cases it's frustration and satisfaction.

I have a baton light that began life at 200 lumens. Frustrating. What's the value of a 17" x 1" heavy bruiser that moofs out a pittance of light? After grinding down and installing a different reflector, replacing the bezel with one long enough to accomodate the customized reflector, cleaning up the switch, stuffing it with 11 high drain cells, replacing the plastic window with borofloat glass, and installing a new, robust lamp this brute proudly pumps out 900 lumens into a nice white beam.

Viola !

I don't think there is another one like it. Things that make you go "heh heh heh".

The Homemade and Mod forum makes smile when I see what some guys do. I still chuckle when I see McGizmo's circa 2002 modded light that he installed a flood LED in the side of the bezel within it's own little reflectorish recess or Ra's 6 mile light or Icarus's super clean mods to name just a few of very many.

- Jeff

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very new to this hobby...so much so, that I'm sure that some of my posts get laughed at by some of the more experienced flashaholics here and that's OK, I don't mind. Everyone here had to start somewhere.

In the last few months since I discovered that this hobby even existed, I've done some very simple mods to some of my lights...LED drop ins (Nite Ize, MAGLED & Diamond K2) and most recently, the simple mod of converting a very beat up and abused 3D MAG to a 4C with a KPR103 bulb, then trying it with an HPR50 Halogen bulb. It is surprisingly satisfying to hold a light that I modded myself (albeit a very simple one), going outside at night and actually seeing for myself the difference it made to the throw of that light...all I can say is WOW!!! It gives you a bit of a rush to be able to light up the tops of trees a 150 yards away with a light that was once thought to be very near the end of it's usable life!!! I just love the fact that it looks like a total piece of crap, yet is able to shoot out a beam of light that completely amazes everyone I've shown it to! :wow:

As far as doing mods to high end flashlights...all I can say, is based on the feeling I got from doing that simple mod to my lowly 3D MAG...I can just imagine how it must feel to a full on rebuild of a $300 Surefire! :rock:

Bottom line...some people are "tinkerers," meaning that they are driven to figure out how something works by taking it apart...then they try to figure out a way to make it work better, no matter the cost. I'm absolutely sure that it must border (and I'm sure that for some, it goes way over the border) on obsession for most of the more experienced flashaholics that frequent this forum.

My advice is to try a simple, fairly cheap mod for yourself and see if you get that same rush when you shine that puppy at something two blocks away and watch it light up...it's almost like a drug...:drunk:

As for myself...I'm looking forward to the day when I build my first MAG85... ;)

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Modding is a sickness, an affliction. As such, it does not have to be rationalized :D

ETA. My insatiable appetite to mod extends to other things besides flashlights. I'm not satisfied with the status quo. Anything and everything can be improved. Nothing is perfect. Nothing is safe in my house.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
CM said:
Modding is a sickness, an affliction. As such, it does not have to be rationalized :D

ETA. My insatiable appetite to mod extends to other things besides flashlights. I'm not satisfied with the status quo. Anything and everything can be improved. Nothing is perfect. Nothing is safe in my house.

This sickness needs no cure except money and time well spent.....:)

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
CM said:

I'm with CM. I buy lights that I know I won't be happy with stock, so that I have something to mod.

I just bought a new Fenix P1 to mod with a Seoul.
I bought a like new Luxogen 3 Watt to mod with a Seoul.
I traded a new in box F-1 for a JiL to mod with a Seoul.

Sometimes, lights that are perfectly good get modded.

My Pierce M10 got the Seoul mod. Why? Because it could be brighter...and man is it ever.

I have several more lights that have been, or will be modded. A guy has to have a hobby. Long before I was into flashlights, I built guitar effects (from making my own PCB's to the finished effect). It is in my blood.