A2 Lamp Life

carrot

Flashaholic
Expect about 30 hours from the xenon lamp. There have been cases where they last more, or less. If the lamp lasts less than 20 hours, you've got a dud and you should call Surefire. LED's should last the lifetime of the light as Illum says.

gfreeman9mm

Newly Enlightened
alright thanks. If either of you use the A2, how often do you have to replace the lamp? Every couple months?

Illum

Flashaholic
gfreeman9mm said:
alright thanks. If either of you use the A2, how often do you have to replace the lamp? Every couple months?

both Carrot and Me have A2s as primary EDCs [I got the idea of owning one from him :grin2:] I dont know about Carrot but I use my A2 every day...plus the fact its a second hand light with the original bulb, I'm proud to say my lamp is still fine and dandy...

At $25 each, replacing it every month would not only mean bad quality, but talking about a horrifying financial desposition:barf:.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have three A2's. One has 45 hours on the original bulb and it's still function fine (although I replaced it just in case). The others are still on the original bulbs.

I believe it's always a good idea to have a spare lamp. I suggest you get an MA02 Lamp Assembly and a SureFire SC3 Spares Carrier for your spare SF123A's.

Al

Illum

Flashaholic
just out of curiosity...if higher price means higher quality...

the one that lasted 45 hours wouldnt happen to be your purple A2 would it?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Nope. In my normal A2-HA - I used it intensively for several months.
I believe the purple A2 has only had a couple changes of batteries. It's a Shelf Queen without a doubt!

Illum

Flashaholic
okay back to the topic um...
Al, 45 sets of cells in um...what time period?
that seems incredible since these are rated at 30ish hours a piece

luigi

Enlightened
An interesting question I would like to ask is what is the minimum duration for the bulb do we have any cases of the bulb blowing with less then 20 hours of runtime?
This helps to know how reliable the bulb is, if you know your runtime is less than "X" hours then you can be sure the bulb will be fine.

Luigi