How things have changed

sunglob

Newly Enlightened
When some years ago I bought my Arc LS and Surefire E2e with the KL1 LED head I could not see how they could be surpassed, for the size. Having been alerted to Cree and Fenix, Jetbeam etc I am amazed at the increase in LED efficiency. I just recently bought some of $10 DealExtreme Cree P4-WDs to give away, but I think I may have to keep them. :sigh: Although there is no comparison between the build quality of the Arc and Surefire compared to the cheapies, the DX blows away both in terms of output. Not only do the Arc and Surefire have a slightly blue tint in comparison, but the cheapie is running off a 1.2v NiMH, and the Surefire off 2 SF123A lithiums. I can't remember what I paid for the Surefire, but it was in excess of $100, and at today's prices would cost around $150.

I won't be getting rid of my Arc or my Surefire, but I'm also keeping my cheap and cheerful Crees. :crazy:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Things have changed for the better and worse. I love the new cree lights, and cannot stop buying them. That being said, I remember when having a Surefire with its "special, no one else had it" orange peel reflector and HA-III coating made me constantly marvel at my light's superiority and uniqueness.

Now most lights have HA-III and my $80 huntlight came with both a OP and Smooth reflector. - and everyone else (here) has one too. Now buying a speciel light involves having one crafted by McGizmo and others here. Something I have yet to have done, but am glad it can be.

So, overall I believe things are much better, its just sometimes sad the better feels somewhat commonplace anymore.

easilyled

Flashaholic
woodrow said:
Things have changed for the better and worse. I love the new cree lights, and cannot stop buying them. That being said, I remember when having a Surefire with its "special, no one else had it" orange peel reflector and HA-III coating made me constantly marvel at my light's superiority and uniqueness.

Now most lights have HA-III and my $80 huntlight came with both a OP and Smooth reflector. - and everyone else (here) has one too. Now buying a speciel light involves having one crafted by McGizmo and others here. Something I have yet to have done, but am glad it can be.

So, overall I believe things are much better, its just sometimes sad the better feels somewhat commonplace anymore.

It you get a Ti-PD-S from McG, you'll have that very special feeling again ;)

Its the king of lights IMO.

xiaowenzu

Banned
All Kudos to Cree INC., the great American manufacturer for coming up with this new LED breakthrough. I assume they're laughing all the way to the bank with the bulk purchases from flashlight manufacturers. :D