Off centre LED in Amilite Neo T5?

Alteran

Enlightened
Where the grass is blue, up is down, and hamburger
I recently recieved the Amilite Neo T5 directly from Amilite. It had a small manufacturing defect, but nothing that affected performance. There were just some minor gouges and scratches on the inside walls of the space where the spring in the tailcap goes through and makes contact with the battery. It had no effect on the light's function or outer aesthetics, so I didn't bother sending it back for service.

The light works beautifully, but today I noticed something odd. When I got the light, the LED had been well centred, but now it appears to have shifted position. When I look at it with another flashlight, it appears that there is a bead of a black substance in the space that has been created. This stuff is also around the edges of the LED in some places. I assume this is probably glue, or thermal paste, or something like that. The only difference is that the hotspot is slightly off-centre in the beam. I have no need or particular want to correct it, as I do not want to risk damaging anything, especially since I know that Seoul SSCs have a soft, rubbery dome.

I just want to know if this could be the start of something worse, or if you think you know how it happened. I also want to know how to open up the light if need be, as it appears the space at the base of the head is too narrow to get anything else. From the slight difference in anodize colour, it looks like you open it by screwing off the upper part of the head. Is this right, and how would I do it?

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if this will interest you but here is a link that has a picture of the T5 emitter. Just scroll about half way down.

Alteran said:
I recently recieved the Amilite Neo T5 directly from Amilite. It had a small manufacturing defect, but nothing that affected performance. There were just some minor gouges and scratches on the inside walls of the space where the spring in the tailcap goes through and makes contact with the battery. It had no effect on the light's function or outer aesthetics, so I didn't bother sending it back for service.

The light works beautifully, but today I noticed something odd. When I got the light, the LED had been well centred, but now it appears to have shifted position. When I look at it with another flashlight, it appears that there is a bead of a black substance in the space that has been created. This stuff is also around the edges of the LED in some places. I assume this is probably glue, or thermal paste, or something like that. The only difference is that the hotspot is slightly off-centre in the beam. I have no need or particular want to correct it, as I do not want to risk damaging anything, especially since I know that Seoul SSCs have a soft, rubbery dome.

I just want to know if this could be the start of something worse, or if you think you know how it happened. I also want to know how to open up the light if need be, as it appears the space at the base of the head is too narrow to get anything else. From the slight difference in anodize colour, it looks like you open it by screwing off the upper part of the head. Is this right, and how would I do it?

dirobesh

Enlightened
Art Vandelay said:
I don't know if this will interest you but here is a link that has a picture of the T5 emitter. Just scroll about half way down.

Please could you post the link?

DM51

Flashaholic
AV may mean this photo - I posted it in another thread for someone who wanted to know the difference between a T5 and a T3 emitter. This is the T5:
Amilite-T5.jpg

From what you say, it sounds as if there is something wrong with your T5. If it looks different from this, I think you should send it back.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
My T5 arrived slightly off center so I just unscrewed the bezel and realized that the reflector just kind of floats inside the head. I was able to center the reflector by simply screwing the bezel back on while watching how centered the LED was in the reflector opening. It took a few times but mine is just as centered as the picture above.

clipse

Enlightened
Ha, thats me from zombiehunters.org. I posted that review on this site as well. The reflector is just not quite big enough for the head and moves around alittle. It may be your reflector that is off center. I could be wrong though. The goo your talking about is kinda curious though.

JRNioa

Newly Enlightened
Hi, my T5 was off center also so I unscrewed the top and adjusted the reflector as it sits loose. I did notice though that my SCC LED in it gradually became more and more "brownish" with just a month of use to the point where the LED output was strong but very purple and wne you looked at the LED with the light off it was brown not clear! I replaced the LED last night with a new 6500K SCC P4 from the shop and the light is white and strong now!

Alteran

Enlightened
I couldn't properly adjust the reflector, because the rubber ring in the top part of the head moved the reflector when I tried to screw it in, and I lost the position. I managed to get it screwed in properly without the LED being too far off centre, though. Is the hotspot off centre? Yes. Does it really matter? No. Even if I am being picky, the hotspot is still round, and has a nice even transition to sidespill, with no rings or holes. And I can't even really tell the hotspot is off centre unless I make sure the light is perpendicular to the wall.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the best reversible way to fix it?

Alteran said:
Why return it, it's just the reflector is a bit small, I think this is for them all. Plus, shipping it to and from Korea... I'm also unclear about how good the Amilite warranty is.

Alteran

Enlightened
There is no real damage, and I can get the led well centered if the top of the head is unscrewed a bit, probably at most just a 1/12th turn unscrewed or less. Would this affect water resistance? And if I were to send it back, what is there to be repaired? :huh2: I'm a bit, ok, a lot, confused about this.

Edit: Actually, to get the LED centered, the head needs to be turned about 2-3mm. I really doubt this will cause any problems. I see no point in sending this light back to Korea. I love it as is. :)

Last edited: