So my L5 tailcap died...

cmaylodm

Newly Enlightened
The other night I was out in the woods playing with my lights and all of a sudden the tailcap on my Surefire L5 started to make strange noises and behave oddly. I emailed Surefire when I got back from the trip (around midnight) asking about a repair/replacement and at 2:30 today they had emailed me back asking for my address, as they are going to send me a brand new tailcap. :rock: Now that is service! I was expecting that I would have to send in my old tailcap and be without my L5 for awhile, but I guess not. I've heard that Surefire has excellent customer service, but I never expected anything like this. Major cheers to Surefire on this one!

CLHC

Flashaholic
That's my usual experience with SureFire regarding some of my "minor" glitches with some of their products I have. But I've never experienced a SF.TC issue as of yet.

cmaylodm

Newly Enlightened
Would using the L5 tailcap (which looks like a Z58 to me) on my M3T affect the switch at all? What happens is that the switch can be clicked into constant-on, however it the sound is different than what I am used to. Also, the switch hardly needs to be pressed in at all to come out of constant-on, which is not how I remember it working. It acted up a few times in the past like this when using it on my L5, but recently I have been using it on my M3T and it acts like this all the time, even when I put it back on my L5.

CLHC

Flashaholic
According to the SureFire Catalog 2007, the Z58 does work with the SF.L5 and the SF.M3T. That's what I saw in the Flashlight Specifications Chart.

I prefer the tried proven and true twisty tailcap switching. . .I do have a clickie on my SF.M2 which hasn't seen much usage.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, no kidding. That tailcap felt nice and strong on that L5, suprised to hear it crapped out. My other Surefire clickie(Z57) on my E2L is starting to go as well. It still works but you can tell it's on it's way out :thumbsdow

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15's said:
What colour is the inside component (to which the spring is attached)?
Black or white?
What's a bad colour? Very curious to know......have 2 clickies, Z57 and on from E2D

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh well, being mechanical it is subjected to wear and tear.......its a bit frustrating though if the problem is premature failure among other things.

cmaylodm

Newly Enlightened
I received my tailcap today, shipped via UPS. I noticed that this tailcap came with the black internals, which I understand to be the "bad" color. There is also a flaw in the knurling, which is purely cosmetic. Is it customary for Surefire to send out B-stock parts as replacement?