Inova X5

Madvillian

Newly Enlightened
I found my old Inova X5 a few weeks ago, and I can remember back in the day when I first purchased it. Man did I think that thing was bright. Then I took a deep breath and purchased an L4. The lumen comparison is night and day. After reading a bit more about the X5 I found out that most of its output it in IR. What it the use of this light? I cant think of any situation where I would need IR considering that it isn't visible to the human eye.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just the difference between 5 5mm LEDs and a good Luxeon. Night and day. I still use my x5 though..

Danbo

Enlightened
The X5 is still very useful, especially for up close work. I think that the L4 would too much light for very close up work.

Cydonia

Enlightened
I always got the impression that the X5 was being overdriven. It got warm to the touch quite fast. Angry blue tint in the LED's. Even beam shots of the latest new version of the X5 shows too much blue… yuk. Inova should come out with an X5² with variable output and low driven LED's that don't warm up.

Illum

Flashaholic
Cydonia said:
I always got the impression that the X5 was being overdriven. It got warm to the touch quite fast. Angry blue tint in the LED's. Even beam shots of the latest new version of the X5 shows too much blue… yuk. Inova should come out with an X5² with variable output and low driven LED's that don't warm up.

from third party the 5 LEDs of the X5 each has a 33 ohm resistor soldered to it....according to the LED calculator online a 6V source voltage and a 33 ohm resistor will put the LED current at 100ma if the Vf of the LEDs are driven at 3V

I think the bluish tint is natural for a nichia CS...compared to the SMJLEDs they are very, almost angry blue. :ohgeez:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
You never mentioned which version you have of the X5 there have been 3. My X5 is probably my most used light around the house and garage. It throws a lot of light. I have many other lights, many much brighter, but none that throws such a nice flood, is not too bright or too dim, and has runtimes like the X5. It is about the perfect light for garage searching.

Madvillian

Newly Enlightened
Lee1959 said:
You never mentioned which version you have of the X5 there have been 3. My X5 is probably my most used light around the house and garage. It throws a lot of light. I have many other lights, many much brighter, but none that throws such a nice flood, is not too bright or too dim, and has runtimes like the X5. It is about the perfect light for garage searching.

I have the basic X5. Would the 3.6V 123's work in this lamp safely? I have a set that is going to waist. I need to use them in something!

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cydonia said:

Tell me it wouldn't be cool to have an X5 with a rotating tailcap or head that turned on each led 1 - 5 for variable output!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Madvillian said:
I have the basic X5. Would the 3.6V 123's work in this lamp safely? I have a set that is going to waist. I need to use them in something!

I would say that the LEDs would probably not have a long healthy life if run on 2 R123 cells. I never tried it in any of my X5s, but assuming that the stock light sends 100mA to each LED as indicated above, 3.6V would probably kill them very quickly. Having said that, I have a single Nicha CS C0 LED direct driven on a 10440 cell in a Solitaire that initially pulls 170mA and it's been through several charge cycles. I've done several other similar lights with mixed results. Still, considering the X5 is pushing $40, I wouldn't want it to die.

As to the person that mentioned the light getting warm, I've had 6 or 7 samples of four versions of X5, the original fluted light, the HAIII County Comm version, the flat sided light before they switched to the Nichia CS LEDs and the current version with the CS LEDs. I don't recall any of them getting warm to the touch.

itch808

Newly Enlightened
Ditto, my X5's indestructible. Have used it many nights both in and under my car. Never gets hot, but then again I never tried throwing 3.6V RCR123s in there. I only have the wimpy Gen1 so I figure it's not worth it anyway.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
My X5 (Countycomm HA Version) was with me when the power failed at work and I hung it on a rack above a keyboard in our dark server room. I'd say it was on for 2 or 3 straight hours. It got warm, but not dangerously hot.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have mine for a few years, gave it away to a friend when I got my first Fenix L1P Light
Thats just about the opposite of me, I have given away all my Fenix lights except the L0P SE and have kept the X5.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I'm off, but my X5s don't seem to get hot. And I've run them for over 8 hours at a time, straight through..

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
ACMarina said:
Maybe I'm off, but my X5s don't seem to get hot. And I've run them for over 8 hours at a time, straight through..

Agreed... mine get warm, but not nearly as hot as my Luxeon lights. My L4 is downright too hot to handle after a few minutes of use. I'm not sure if I'm imagining things, but I think my old X5 (current body, but not newest Nichia led's) doesn't get as warm as the latest-gen X5.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The venerable X5T is surprisingly useful for the right person. If nothing else it's a bullet proof light. My X5T gets the hand-me-down cells from incan lights that prefer fresh CR123 cells. I pack the X5T more often than I once expected to. Interesting how some "low-tech" lights are still good choices.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several X5's and they are very tough reliable long lasting lights. They never get
hardly even warm to the touch and don't need full batteries to work. Great light IMO. Hang on to it. :cool:

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The (new version) Inova X5 is perhaps my favorite indoor flashlight. Its light is diffuse instead of a blinding hotspot. It is reliable and rugged and lacks a glass or plastic window so it does not have to be pampered.

Mine draws 280 milliamps so batteries last a long time and I don't have to feel stingy about conserving the batteries when using it.

As UnknownVT pointed out several months ago, it compares favorably with some of the 1 watt Luxeon lights.

JKL

Enlightened
Madvillian said:

I've got 5 Inovas (counting 2 micro-lights,2 X5,1 X1). I've never had any problems with any of them.
The X5 is all flood with long runtime,rugged and durable, throw perhaps 50 feet, so if you want a trower,better a second light for longer throw .:thumbsup:
I use new X5 with Digital LCR-123 650 mAh 3v:twothumbs.

Can 2 R123's be used in Inova X5?:
[font=&quot]http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ad.php?t=150794
[/font] INOVA TACTICAL TESTIMONIALS!![font=&quot]:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ad.php?t=144133[/font]

Last edited: