Which aspherical lens would you recommend for a Mag 3D?

rcnuk

Newly Enlightened
I have the pl1028 in a mag right now and the other 50mm may also work. I didn't do any modification and it screws down leaving about 1/8' gap between the bezel and the head.

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
Hmm what about the first one? It has 52mm diameter so it can replace the front without gaps.
But I don't now if the FL of 37mm is too big.

so will a 30mm FL give more throw than 37mm?

rcnuk

Newly Enlightened
I think the bezel on mine would screw all the way down if I cut down the reflector. My guess is the 52mm won't fit in the bezel without modification.

thezman

Enlightened
And I have the pl1072 in a 2D Mag running 3 C cells and it throws like crazy. :rock:

lexina

Enlightened
rcnuk said:
I have the pl1028 in a mag right now and the other 50mm may also work. I didn't do any modification and it screws down leaving about 1/8' gap between the bezel and the head.

Do you know if the 1028 will screw down into a MagC bezel as well without any need for modification? Did you manage to focus the beam? Are you using a Cree? Thanks.

rcnuk

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a Magcharger to try it out on but I'm guessing if the stock lens are the same size then it will work. I'm using a stock cammed reflector that been sputtered for focusing. Works ok and you could use any stock reflector. I think focusing would improve if the lens could be move closer to the LED. CPFer RCatR is selling a aspherical mag where he moved the lens down into the head and I'm sure people will be posting on it soon for a comparison. I using a Seoul mag drop-in but if I ever learn how to mod my own LEDs I'll try the Cree. The 1028 is just a cheap and easy way for people to try out an aspherical without making any modifications.

lexina said:
Do you know if the 1028 will screw down into a MagC bezel as well without any need for modification? Did you manage to focus the beam? Are you using a Cree? Thanks.

lexina

Enlightened
rcnuk said:
I don't have a Magcharger to try it out on but I'm guessing if the stock lens are the same size then it will work. I'm using a stock cammed reflector that been sputtered for focusing. Works ok and you could use any stock reflector. I think focusing would improve if the lens could be move closer to the LED. CPFer RCatR is selling a aspherical mag where he moved the lens down into the head and I'm sure people will be posting on it soon for a comparison. I using a Seoul mag drop-in but if I ever learn how to mod my own LEDs I'll try the Cree. The 1028 is just a cheap and easy way for people to try out an aspherical without making any modifications.

Actually, by MagC, I meant the Mag C-sized (as opposed to the Mag D-sized). Since the bezels are shaped differently, I wasn't sure if the lens would fit. Yup, I am keeping an eye on RCatR's thread - just trying to decide if I want to get another Mag, given that I already have a dozen! Btw, you wouldn't believe how easy it is to mod your Mag into an led light. I just started about 1-2 months back and I have already done 4 single-Seoul mods and 1 tri-Seoul mod. PM me if you want to start and you need any help.

Last edited:

rcnuk

Newly Enlightened
Lexina,
I only have one Cmag and fits just the same. I compared the "C" bezel with a couple of "D" bezels and it looks like same size/shape to me. Regardless, it'll work with either. I'm very interested in modding LEDs myself and will send you a PM in a bit.
Thanks!:)

thezman

Enlightened
Der Wichtel said:
So how much wider did you mod it and how did you do it?
I don't know if I did it the right way, but I just removed metal where the o-ring groove is on the bezel ring. The narrowest part of the bezel ring was hitting on the sides of the lense, keeping it from screwing down far enough.

The o-ring groove on the bezel ring is now gone, so water restistance is compromised.

I did it by hand with metal files.

And as a side note...I did what I had to do to make it work. I didn't care how it looked, or even if I ruined a $15 Mag light.
There may be other ways to did this.

cryhavok

Enlightened
I've used both a 50mmx35mm lens and 52mmx37mm lens and the 52mm gave a significant increase in throw compared with the 50mm.

Check out my thread about the mod here
I also have comparson shots of the 50mm and 52mm lenses

rcnuk

Newly Enlightened
Wow,
You guys have convinced me to try out the 52mm lens next. Great mod cryhavok, I need to find me one those crowns.:)