What are some good 5mm RED leds?

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking all over for some decent and bright red leds. I bought the th3 red but I'm not at all impressed by them.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean the THC3 LEDs from lsdiodes.com? Those are the brightest red 5mm LEDs I've found so far. They are pretty robust as well. I've used them in place of white 5mm LEDs in a few lights... Dorcy 1xAAA, Inova X1 etc... They are spec'ed at 2.2V or 2.4V @ 100ma and most of these lights provide about 3.6V or 3.8V at somewhere between 20mA and 60mA.

Actually, thought they are just about useless in actual use, the blue THC3 LEDs are freaking bright for 5mm LEDs. They are brighter than cyan or blue Lux 1W LEDs driven close to spec.

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Those are the leds I have. I don't need a power led that can handle 100ma though. The light I have them in only supplies about 20ma the each led and the thc3 are pathetically dim. I have a red 5mm led I pulled out of something last year that is really damn bright even on almost completely dead alkalines. I with I knew who produced it, I would order a bunch.