Arc LS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlfletc

Newly Enlightened
I have one of the original "First Run" Arc LS lights. I mainly use the 3 volt power pack and batteries. After about a month, of on and off use, I've noticed that when I open up the flashlight to replace the battery, there is always a strong odor of battery acid, and the battery is beggining to split open at the seam. Is this a defect in the LS?

GlockDoc

Newly Enlightened
Cheap battery? Screwing 'er down too tight? That's all I can think of. Can't imagine it's the light's fault.

jlfletc

Newly Enlightened
Not real cheap, I think they're Panasonic batteries. I'm, only screwing down tight enough to activate the light. Peter, any thoughts?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
GlockDoc is right, the batteries are the likely fault here. I recommend you try a different brand of battery and see if the problem clears up.

Peter Gransee

cman light

Newly Enlightened
I have used many different brands of 123's including SF, Duracell and Energizer and they all have a strong odor when you open up the LS1, LS2.
I think it's some kind of gas from the battery draining?

GlockDoc

Newly Enlightened
I've never even thought about smelling the light when I change the battery. Am I missing a new thrill here?
grin.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I also have always noticed a "different smell" when changing any of my lithiums...I "think" it's just standard "venting". Personally I wouldn't be inhaling it deeply...can't be good for you or you could probably get lithium batteries at the health food store!
grin.gif

Seriously, maybe we need to look at a Material Safety Data Sheet for lithum batterys? I'll look for one, unless someone beats me to it!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
{sniff, sniff......oh, WOW man! Look at all the pretty colors}
grin.gif
icon15.gif
(You just had to use the word 'thrill' Glockdoc.

Seriously, I haven't noticed anything, but, I have been a tobacco smoker for over 20 years. My nose was never that sensitive to begin with.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is the organic solvent in the electrolyte.
it wont hurt anything but i wouldnt intentionaly sniff it either.

jlfletc

Newly Enlightened
Wow.....I really started something here. I've always had a real sensitive nose. It's both a blessing and a curse...... I'll try a different brand of batteries.

Darell

Flashaholic
Hi - my name is Darell, and I'm a battery sniffer.

I actually first noticed this in my Arc AAA, so I don't think it is unique to Li batteries. I'm sure it is just the out-gassing. If there is nowhere for the gas and oder to escape, it makes sense that it'll just be sitting there ready to crawl up your nostrils when you come sniffing around.

You don't suppose battery sniffing is illegal or antying do you?

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by darell:
You don't suppose battery sniffing is illegal or antying do you?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's inhalants, and that is illegal. That is, if you have the intent to get high...
rolleyes.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
I haven't noticed it with my AAA but I HAVE noticed it with every lithium light I own (Arc LS, Brinkmann LX, Surefire G2Z)

I HATE the smell--almost (almost) would rather leave the light with dead batts rather than chage them.

Wait, no I wouldn't...maybe I've sniffed 1 lithium fume too many, but either way those lithiums reek. I know all batteries vent, but I think lithiums vent more than regular alkelines...

Status
Not open for further replies.