InstaRaver : have flashlight will travel. Lotsa Pics!

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
Last weekend I went to a convention in Durham, NC and came away with a bit of a flashaholic story. You see i had heard there would be a dance on saturday night but i didn't really know anything about it. The girl i was with really wanted to go so, of course, i was going too. heh. about 3 hours before it started i started seeing people with glowsticks walking around. Before long everyone was carrying several and i was green with envy. I had nothing to light me up. I was completly unprepared for what was looking to be a rave. I had left all of my pretty lights at home with only serious firepower on my person (fenix p3d).

My lady freind and i retreated to the hotel room where i survayed my equipment and options. Its widely known that i carry my timbuk2 bag with me everywhere and it always seems to have just what i need in its depths (kinda like the bat belt). I can even rely on it for a clean pair of socks. Upon looking I immidiatly struck gold- A turq (of very bright blue tint) ARC AAA i always keep in my bag for backup. It normally sits dormant waiting for a time of greatest need. My freinds, i was in great need.

I grabbed it and d-ringed it to my con badge. Bright but its just pointing down and only a bit is hitting my shirt. Not very noticeable at all. GASP! All my defusers are back at home! I look around the very bare hotel room for something, anything that would make a suitable defuser.

[By now I'm in full throttle flashlight geek mode with tehgrrl just looking on in amusement (she loves when i get all intense on this stuff for some reason).]

First i tried notepaper but it was too thick to adequately be used as a defuser. This in addition to being not very durable and my lack of tape to secure it properly made me discard it as an option. Having exhausted the main room I zipped into the bathroom..... could it be? SUCCESS!

Those bottles of shampoo look perfect for arcs! I snatched one up and proceded to clean it out in the sink (harder than you would think to get all the soap bubbles out). Once clean I used the hair dryer intermitantly to get the remaining water droplets out. The finished product was this:

SP_A0291.jpg

I was tickled that even the brand logos and stuff were easily removable stickers. I was even more pleased that it fit so perfectly on my arc. easy to put on but snug so that it could be swung all night without ever budging.

ITS SO BRIGHT!
SP_A0225.jpg

OMG!

SP_A0229.jpg

After this the lady suggested we run to wallmart and get a ton of glowsticks and sugar. This being the very height of brilliance I instantly agreed. We ended up getting eight large glowsticks (2x blue,green,orange and yellow) and splitting them between us. Again my timbuk2 bag came to the rescue in the way of 10ft of paracord I have kept in there for a year or two "just in case".

I threaded them onto a peice of it and then ran the cord through the beltloops of my 5.11s and tied the cord at the front. I let them hang pretty loose so they could swing a bit. I put my conbadge and a blinky ball around my neck and left the room a much brighter more colorful man as you can see:

SP_A0230.jpg

SP_A0231.jpg

It was my first rave and i had a blast. So much color and music. I ended up being The brightest guy there. The area around where we were dancing was lit up turquoise and people kept coming up and asking me where i got such a bright light. I wore it in a well lit room the next day walking around and a couple LEOS running security asked me where to get it too. All i had was my cameraphone for all of these pictures so excuse the quality.
BONUS!!!!!!! Glowstick dancers:
SP_A0259.jpg

BONUS!!!!!! MOKONA!!!!!
SP_A0277.jpg

I think i did alright with what i had but next time ill be far more prepared.

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man turned the idea bulb for me. At hoem there are 2 empty bottle slike this and my L0D-CE is on the ready!

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool idea, now I've got to go looking for one of those bottles. I've been using a Zicam plastic cover on a RGB Arc but it's pretty small, shorter than your pinky finger.

-LT

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, you're an animal dude. ;-)

Maybe next time you can tape together some of those ultrabright 5-minute Cyalume sticks so they look like the ones Lara Croft used...

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually the Photon RAVN light would be cool if you can find them with the "crystals" that fit on them. They've been discontinued but you can still find them.

-LT

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is all I see when I look at this picture:

Go, cat-ear kid!!
Looks like some Greek tragety, or a rockin' air guitar solo.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to have some fun, activate a glowstick and then cut the top off, splash it all over you (careful not to shake out glass shards) when it hits the air it lights up ten times as bright, lasts one-tenth as long. Now go dance as a glowing collection of spots.
:p:poof::p

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
Oh I've had several eternalite ravens in my time (check some of my older posts for the mods I did on them) as well as a photon ravn (stolen need to get another). I would be reluctant to use any of the eternalites for swinging as they are really heavy and could hurt someone. The Ravn is too dim. Really i plan modifying something as well as getting into glowpowder with embedded uv leds.

And yes- anime and flashlights are a cool mix. Honestly tho, flashlights are so versitile and cool that they can be applied to any hobby!