Rayovac Industrial BLI

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in home depot and look what I bought:
I2D_lg.jpg

Its a rayovac 2D flashlight with a built in Battery Life Indicator (BLI), There are 3 LEDS just to the side of the switch that let you know how the batteries are doing.
Green - good
Yellow - only an hour or 2 left
Red - I need new batteries now!
This feature must be new or a Home depot exclusive because its not on the Rayovac website.

OK a surefire it aint' but it cost like $6. has a prismatic refelector that produces a good beam similar to Princeton Tec 20. and is much smaller and lighter than a 2C maglight, and fits in the hand real well.

D-cells are the king of light per dollar so this might be my new power outage light. Maybe I'll stick a better bulb in there, any suggestions?
Or perhaps an LS for light that lasts forever.

rycen

Enlightened
You should go to where they sell the "Craftsman" tools and you will find a good amount of lights with batt indicators.They are very tough andwater rest.I used to test them while at work(probly why I have 18 of them)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rycen:
I used to test them while at work(probly why I have 18 of them)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha ha ha! Yore package is on its way, BTW...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hay Dave,

Some of those newer lights already come with the Krypton bulbs which are pretty bright. I did notice a *slight* improvement in my 2D (not a Ray-O-Vac, it's a no-name that I think used to be my kid's StarWars Light Sabre before the expandable "blade" fell off) when I went with a halogen bulb, but not by much.

Where would they sell xenon bulbs for 2Ds? Radio Shack?

Saaby

Flashaholic
grin.gif
Do a LED mod on it, rendering the battery check...useless. It would run 50% of the time or more on red would it not? Because normally the torch would be dead by the time the voltage check got to the red level.

Ryan
-No I am not in the UK, I just spend to much time on the Saab newsgroup

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second Cave Dave's positive opinion of the Rayovac Industrial LBI light. Beam is nearly excellent with WriteRight and compared to the nEveready Industrial, it is a hands-down winner for numerous reasons.

I discovered that you can use the LBI alone as a light of sorts. If you unscrew the bezel one-half turn, you disable the krypton bulb (don't unscrew much further, the bezel comes off at about 1-1/4 turns). Then, turning the light on activates only the LBI's tiny green LED (it would be one of the other LEDs at lower voltages). The green LED produces a very low-level, but good smooth beam. It's quite dim-- just at the threshhold of being usable when my eyes are fully dark-adapted (I'd estimate about 1/10th the brigtness of a red Photon 3 on low). For those who think that more light is always better, the light from this LED would be insignificant, but it's about perfect for maximum preservation of night-vision. It's also usable as a gentle night-light or a find-me light for locating the flashlight. I could see it being useful if you wake up in the middle of the night and want a small amount of light to find your way around without disturbing your partner or frying your night-vision. I don't know for sure, but the run-time of that tiny LED on 2 D batteries would probably have to be measured in months. The LED gives you an emergency option for producing a little light for a very long time, or if the PR bulbs are burned out. It's not much light, but it might make a difference vs. another light which would be completely dead. I wouldn't go so far as to say that this alternate use of the LBI constitutes a whole additonal feature, just something that MIGHT come in handy some day. And this light would be a good value even without the LBI (and it's available in that configuration also). Hopefully running the LBI alone won't pump too much current to the LEDs, but they don't look overdriven.

This Rayovac won't replace your SureFire, but if you want an economical, sturdy 2D light for any reason, maybe to keep in the garage or to use as a loaner, this would be an excellent choice, and it has some gadget-factor to boot. It's also smaller and/or lighter than just about any other 2D light I saw in the stores and it fits in a Maglite ring holster. Spare bulb stores conveniently behind the bezel.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have this light. I bought it because I loved the way it felt in my hand, and the BLI was cool too. (I've since also bought the 3D version of this light and like it even more). As for bulbs, I find the Rayovac Xenon 2D bulb is pretty good. The bulbs are packaged on a black and silver/gray card, (2per), and listed as XPR102/HPX21 (I guess they are fazing in or out one of those names, thats why they put both on there). The bulb has a somewhat unique shape. It's not as oval shaped as the Radio Shack ones. It's almost cylindrical, and rather fat. Sorry no digital camera to take pictures. Anyway I got these at Walmart. Check them out.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Rayovac 2D and 3D Industrial lights had textured reflectors before it was cool.

I have three 3D lights (one Rayovac branded and two Sams Value Lights) and two 2D lights (one swivel head one not) and like them a lot.

I have some of those Rayovac 2D Xenons from Walmart and can't see much difference between them and Kryptons... your mileage may vary!

Sure. Evereadys, Garritys, Rayovacs, Lumilites etc. are NOT Surefires, Streamlights etc.....

But they certainly fill a nich of decent for CHEAP!