bobcat attack

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
btw

"....After the attack, his neighbor called the police, who then called animal control. After the animal was inspected, it was found to be infected with rabies.
Rippy said now, he and his neighbor that helped him after the attack have to have rabies shots.
"It attacked me because it was sick," he said..."

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couple of things. Taking on a bobcat with bare hands is seriously dumb. The cat was obviously, from the pics, very ill and emaciated. Try grabbing a pet housecat that doesn't want to be grabbed then multiply that result by, like, 1000 and that'll be what a healthy bobcat would be like. A "tactical retreat" would have been far wiser (but maybe not possible). I really don't want to diminish the guys story -- he had to have some serious stuff to pull it off.

Bitslammer, you seem to think the guy was ready for a retirement home at age 62. Follow me around all day and I guarantee your butt will be draggin'.
(Said with a grin!)

Last edited:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
agreed.
my kitty has a tough little "kill toy" -- when he gets in a fighty mood I throw it to him, have a little tug of war, then he hugs it tightly and EVISCERATES it with his hind legs - amazing the thing is still in one piece (it was originally designed to be a dog chew toy)..

a bobcat doing that to you would definately cause a major Hannibal Lecter on your belly..

I had a bobcat visiting here for several days, we had a few face to face confrontations, and there was always mutual respect, (and yes I did detect a little cat admiration ;) ) we just looked at each other for a minute...beautiful animal. very good rabbit hunter..black tipped ears walking away..

Screehopper

Enlightened
Let's see. Since the guy had time to prepare himself before the attack.

1. I would of had my EDC knife.
2. If the garbage can had removable lids, I would of used it as a makeshift shield.
3. I would of tried to retreat if possible.

Last edited:

bitslammer

Enlightened
Bitslammer, you seem to think the guy was ready for a retirement home at age 62. Follow me around all day and I guarantee your butt will be draggin'.
(Said with a grin!)

LOL. watch it now...your dealing with another ground pounder. I was just a medic though I did carry a huge aid bag.

I was thinking more of agility and quickness than stamina being a factor at age 62.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no such thing as "just a medic". The two things that have brought me the most joy -- arrival of a medic and arrival of a Cobra gunship.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man.
So there was time to prepare.
I think I will choose a tactical retreat over some rabies shots from now on.
The kitty was indeed sick and not doing what it normally is supposed to do.

I hit one at night "thud!" with my boxtruck on one of many of my road trips into Oklahoma, but I never looked back.
Like hitting a large moth, but much louder. :eek:
It was still by the side of the road where I knew I clobbered it for a few days near Sherman, Tx.
Then it somehow "disappeared" :wave:
Just another "confirmed" kill added to the side of my truck. :D :crackup:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Knowing what even an angry housecat can do there's no way I'd be within 100 yards of a bobcat. The story about choking it reminds me of one my father's mother used to tell. She said a seagull entered her apartment, so she stranged it, then threw it down the incinerator chute. This was pre-PETA by a few decades at least, or she would have had the whole usual Hollywood crowd protesting outside the building.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Met one bobcat once in the woods and he took off like a shot. Very quick. I wonder, will they attack and kill house cats?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
hell id kick a moutians lions but with a hamonica and a holla hoop .but ima real man.and they may be actualy fake

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
agreed.
my kitty has a tough little "kill toy" -- when he gets in a fighty mood I throw it to him, have a little tug of war, then he hugs it tightly and EVISCERATES it with his hind legs - amazing the thing is still in one piece (it was originally designed to be a dog chew toy)..

When I was a kid we had a cat. She and I would have mock battles. She would grab my wrist with her front legs and eviscerate my forearm with her hind legs. My forearm is still in one piece.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
gee, yes unfortunately, bobcats are known to eat housecats..that's why I stopped feeding the one that was visiting..it's a long story told elsewhere here -- see, I thought I had shot it, thought it was a coyote -- I put food out for it out of sympahy, when I saw it was OK, I felt much better..

elum, that kitty must have been being very polite and keeping his claws retracted!

Raggie, I understand you get the lion to jump through the hula hoop, but what about the harmonica? does the lion play it or just dance to it? ;)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
gee, yes unfortunately, bobcats are known to eat housecats..that's why I stopped feeding the one that was visiting..it's a long story told elsewhere here -- see, I thought I had shot it, thought it was a coyote -- I put food out for it out of sympahy, when I saw it was OK, I felt much better..

elum, that kitty must have been being very polite and keeping his claws retracted!

Raggie, I understand you get the lion to jump through the hula hoop, but what about the harmonica? does the lion play it or just dance to it? ;)

they have been shown in studys to love the blues.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
61RZXAKM7RL._AA240_.jpg

lol!

Last edited:

NAW

Enlightened
I would have thrown the garbage cans at the bobcat.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Choosing to engage it forced a confrontation. If it DID live in the area he removed it from the gene pool. This removed the possibility that his wife or children would possibly have the same run-in with it.

Sort of like a pre-emptive strike.

I did the same thing about 10 years ago. I suffered consequences but would not have had it any other way.