Flashlights allowed at Red Rock?

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened
Going to a concert this summer at Red Rock. Anyone know if they allow flashlights? They aren't mentioned in the list of prohibited items on the web site, but laser pointers are. I wonder if they consider a flashlight in the same class of "bright, distracting" things.

carrot

Flashaholic
Most places will ignore anything on your keychain. If you're feeling really paranoid put an Arc on your keychain or something... and leave the rest behind.

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened
Good idea. I wasn't thinking about taking anything really large, but I was hoping to take my hds60.

What about concerts in general? Anyone tried to take something large than an Arc AAA / Photon?

RCatR

Enlightened
I brought a maxfire to a taking back sunday concert. In the pit I do elbowed pretty hard from behind, needless to say the prep got quite a surprise:devil:

Marduke

Flashaholic
They usually only prohibit things that "project" things that annoy, distract, or hurt people. ie, guns and lasers, since both go such a long distance. It's not like they even check for laser pointers anyhow. They'll just ignore them unless they catch you using one, then they kick you out.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think they would kick you out for shining your laser. They'll either confiscate it or just the batteries.

I always take a flashlight to shine around for effect. It's obvioulsy NOT a laser, so if they don't like me shining it everywhere, I would expect them to ask me to stop.

On the other hand, you can just say that you work there, and you're on your break...

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I know 2 people who were ejected and lasers confiscated at a concert in Boston. One of them used his and the other guy mentioned that he also had one. Their option was to be arrested and booked if they refused to give up their laser and leave. I don't know if their rights were violated, but it happened about 2 years ago.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I don't know if their rights were violated, but it happened about 2 years ago.

A lot of venues, and even entire towns have banned use of laser pointers in public, and often posts signs outside of areas such as theaters and sporting events. But it's a no-brainer, too many kids shine them into the performers' eyes and ruin the show. Unless you're waving around your ROP though, I don't see how a flashlight would ever be a problem.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Why take a chance on having an expensive light confiscated?

Heading to such a concert, I'd leave my Surefire L4 at home, along with my Photon II. I'd put a Dorcy 1AAA on my keychain ($6 at Wal-Mart). And clip a Dorcy 4AAA to my pocket. ($10 at Target). Both are LEDs and if they get confiscated, I'm only out $16.

Last edited:

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened
I might not be let in with an expensive flashlight, and I might be asked to leave if I use the flashlight once in, but I'm not aware of any law that gives the venue owner the right to take personal property. Just because someone wearing a ""SECURITY" shirt says you have to give them something, doesn't mean you do. Call the police? Why yes, let's. Then you can explain why you tried to steal my flashlight.

:)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I might not be let in with an expensive flashlight, and I might be asked to leave if I use the flashlight once in, but I'm not aware of any law that gives the venue owner the right to take personal property. Just because someone wearing a ""SECURITY" shirt says you have to give them something, doesn't mean you do. Call the police? Why yes, let's. Then you can explain why you tried to steal my flashlight.

:)

Nowadays a guy wearing a black T-shirt with the word "Security" written across the back is just.... a dude in a T-shirt. Real security is likely to have some sort of a plastic I.D. / Badge.

The venue owner has no right to steal your flashlight. But he does have the right to tell you to leave, or leave your flashlight behind. Laws regarding the rights of ticket-holders vary. Calling the cops is fine, but keep in mind the venue owner has rights too. You get to keep your light.... but chances are, you won't be seeing that concert.

With the idea I mentioned in my other post, all he gets are a couple of good quality but inexpensive lights. Hell, I'll unscrew the heads and toss them as far as I can, in different directions. Then just hand what's left to security. If I get a dirty look, I'll just politely tell them that I have no problem with their "No lights" policy, but I'm not giving them a couple of free lights.