Black Bear

jaybiz32

Enlightened
I own one of the black bear borealis 1050(I believe). I a sense it is really just a mag85. But I can tell you the craftsmenship and detail are phenominal. Even the battery holder, and lubrication.It is a touch brighter than some of the Mag85 builds I have made most likely due to cutting down resistance in many ways. I am not sure about cost's compared to his complete startup kit's vs getting the individual parts and building one yourself. I can say though that his work is excellant and holds up well. I have a silver borealis with crenulated head and wrist lanyard and it is one of my favorite lights.
Hope this helps

iamerror

Enlightened
I own a regular Mag85... at this level of brightness you should be able to do about anything you would need for a flashlight. I recently used it on a outdoors trip and it lit up stuff way better than my other flashlights. I have a textured reflector which cuts down on the throw, but the throw still was very good. I think the light will be more impressive outdoors than indoors. If you need something brighter than this, you could probably look into HID handheld spotlights.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool website. I don't have one. I have seen threads on this before. He does have fans around here. Somebody will always post "you can just build your own". That's true of some people, but others can't or would rather not.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a textured reflector which cuts down on the throw, but the throw still was very good. I think the light will be more impressive outdoors than indoors. If you need something brighter than this, you could probably look into HID handheld spotlights.

I have a mag85 with: FM MOP, borolens, FM 3D>9AA adapter, FM bi-pin adapter, 1185 bi-pin bulbs (of course). I think that it's bright indoors and outdoors but outdoors it is sure more impressive...
the throw is good with MOP ( you can see things very far, about 150m),(I've decided to buy a throwmaster head, and I think taht with its throw will be really more impressive)

I know borealis flashlight, but I think that they are too expensive...
a borealis 1050 has: metal reflector(25$), FM adapter (40$), KIU socket (15$), batteries(don't know but aroud 20-25$), charger (25$), 3 WA1185 (16$), borolens (5.5)...TOT:140-146$

rolltide

Newly Enlightened
I have one of these on the way that I purchased from a guy over on FF. I am anxious to see how it runs. I am very new to modding flashlights, but have been a flashaholic for years (just never knew you could mod them until recently.) Actually I first became aware of modding through Black Bear. He is a super nice guy who evidently spends a lot of time to maximize output on his lights. I have heard nothing but good things about his lights. As others have said in this thread, you can do it yourself cheaper, but for those who don't have the time or interest to do so, Black Bear offers a top quality product at a price that is still a bargain in terms of output, runtime, and recharge-ability, and replacement component cost, when compared to factory built lights. So much for everything I have heard, I can tell you more after my light arrives. I also have a FM Throwmaster on the way. I am hoping the 2 together will be a great combination. In terms of what I have seen here in terms of lumens, recharge time, and run time, the Borealis is about as good a balance of all those things as you can get if you are going to acutally use your light in real life situations on a regular basis.

Keep in mind that is only my opinon, and I am new to all this.

Roll Tide

Monocrom

Flashaholic
.... Somebody will always post "you can just build your own". That's true of some people, but others can't or would rather not.

I wish I could build my own Mag85. But I have to be honest with regards to my skills at modding.... or lack thereof.

Good to see that there is a place where I can get one, commercially.

Kentuckian

Newly Enlightened
Some cool beam shots:
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21194
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21194&page=2
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21194&page=3

For those that might know is this significant?
EMEandBO.jpg

SFM-6HOLALAMP.jpg

BOREALIS.jpg

Last edited:

Cerbera

Newly Enlightened
there is a big jump from 650 to 1080 lumens. You may not see it in the photos, but in real life, you'll definitely see the difference.

The Borealis 1050 is a great deal for the money. However, the M6 is a cool looking light. You can't deny that but it's high price deters ME from buying it. If you're willing to spend the cash, why not? I don't want to start another Mag vs. M6 debate :sigh:

Also, I should know about Black Bear's quality because I used to own a Borealis 1050. In fact, I sold it to rolltide in this thread. There was nothing wrong with the Borealis, but I just needed to build and fund my own Mag mod :twothumbs

Of course theres always the debate of "build your own," but Art Vandelay couldn't have said it better with
Somebody will always post "you can just build your own". That's true of some people, but others can't or would rather not.

springbok

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I bought a light from Juan, of blackbear.
I had been in contact with him for months. The thought crossed my mind to build my own, but I do not have the time between duty shifts, and running around my 1yr old kid!lol
It might seem expensive, and probably is, but the customer service and craftmanship is awesome. I bought a borealis, and it shipped quickly and with tons of documentation. E-mail questions were responded to very quickly.
I use this light a lot on duty! it puts my colleagues to shame. I always tell them....save your batteries and turn your lights off, i have enough lighte for all 6 of us. hehe.
I am a very satisfied customer :)

Kentuckian

Newly Enlightened
The Borealis 1050 is a great deal for the money. However, the M6 is a cool looking light. You can't deny that but it's high price deters ME from buying it. If you're willing to spend the cash, why not? I don't want to start another Mag vs. M6 debate :sigh:
Oh no brother that was definitely not my intent. I'm judging the Borealis by the SF not comparing. SF definitely is the big dog in terms of name and established quality.
I was just trying to show that the Black Bear light has good output. I agree about the price thing too. The BB lights are almost to much for my budget. The SF's are wat too much for me.

Kentuckian

Newly Enlightened
Juancho, I got to play around with one of your Polar Bear (426 lumens for those that might not know) about 1-1.5 hours ago.

My first impression, WOW!!! The guy who has it also had a 1,000,000 CW spot light and the Polar Bear was decently brighter!

You put together one heck of a light brother!!! I plan to have several!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Brozneo

Enlightened
I also brought a light off Juan a couple of months ago, the build quality was excellent! Plus when I was emailing him with questions I got excellent detailed emails back with more info than I needed - it was fantastic! I really like the lights like the Mag85 and Mag11 etc but I'm not at the "capacity" to build them myself at the moment so I have been buying them pre-made eg Blackbear or second-hand... Hmmm I have a Mag623 on the way! I have had absolutely no problems with my Blackbear flashlight and its been going great... I HIGHLY RECOMMEND JUAN!!!