Problem with Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme™ 3W LED Flashlight

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up this light at WalMart, the other day, and was trying to see if the LED could be replaced as the LED it came with was well into the cool color range. Well, when I tried to remove the LED, I noticed that there wasn't any good way to put a CREE in it, so I decided to put the original LED back in it. Well, I must have done something because it's output is half of what it was before and where I was soldering was not on the board itself.

It may be damaged and need a new board, but I can't figure out how to get to it. Anyone have one of these and have taken it apart yet?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Problem with Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme™ 3W LED Flashlight

If you still have the original package, I'd say try returning it.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have an ethics problem with doing it since it wasn't a problem with the manufacturing, but something that I did.

If I can just figure out how to take the board out I maybe could fix it, but I don't see how it comes out.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have an ethics problem with doing it since it wasn't a problem with the manufacturing, but something that I did.

If I can just figure out how to take the board out I maybe could fix it, but I don't see how it comes out.

LOL, that's funny because most of the people that shop at Walfart would probably return something like that...not trying to offend anyone, but it's just the reality of things. I won't get into an ethical debate, but the way I see it is if I'm not asking for my money back in a situation like this then I personally have no problem bringing it back for an exchange as I feel it falls under the "customer satisfaction...for any reason" clause. Well, that's at least how I justify it. And again, I wouldn't return something like this for my money back because that's where I feel the line should be drawn.

Anyhow, you might want to check the negative connections. In my limited experience, many of the cheaper flashlights I've bought come with a shotty electrical connection on the negative path (hence causing resistance) which either led to flickering or lowered output. Hope that helps...

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
ace, I'm not sure if it is a negative problem. It was actually pretty bright until I tried to solder the LED back into place.

Lastnight, I took the LED back off and when this light is not under load, my volt meter only showed barely up to 3 volts. I was touching only the leads so something happened on the board. :-/

The thing is, the output is steady. It doesn't flicker or anything. Just . . . . weak. Like it is a low powered 1 watt light.

LOL, that's funny because most of the people that shop at Walfart would probably return something like that...not trying to offend anyone, but it's just the reality of things. I won't get into an ethical debate, but the way I see it is if I'm not asking for my money back in a situation like this then I personally have no problem bringing it back for an exchange as I feel it falls under the "customer satisfaction...for any reason" clause. Well, that's at least how I justify it. And again, I wouldn't return something like this for my money back because that's where I feel the line should be drawn.

Anyhow, you might want to check the negative connections. In my limited experience, many of the cheaper flashlights I've bought come with a shotty electrical connection on the negative path (hence causing resistance) which either led to flickering or lowered output. Hope that helps...

Would you bring back a plate you bought and say "It broke when I dropped it on the ground and I'm not satisfied" ?