Inova Bolt

o0o

Enlightened
I picked up some Inova Bolts, 2 AA models and 2 AAA models.

Here are my observations and opinions:

1. Quality is average, less than the X and T series, but more than the Radiant series.

2. The 2AAA Bolt beam is DIM... not much noticable difference than the Nichia based 2AAA Radiant. Color (tint) is better though. 1 Bolt AAA has a snow white tint, while the other is green (I can live with the green tint since it is uniform--no blue in the center).

3. The 2AA Bolts actually have some bite. Pretty good output for the price range, and snow-white tint.

4. Beam quality.... the 2AA Bolts have excellent beams, the larger reflector seems to eliminate artifacts. Also, transition from hotspot to corona is very good. The 2AAA Bolts have a good beam, with very minor artifacts and 3 levels of brightness that do NOT have smooth transition--tiny hotspot, middle zone corona, and then the outercorona. I have to say, that even in the case of the 2AAA, I consider beam quality to be superior than the TIROS based Inova lights--no more ringy beam with lousy corona. I hope INOVA gets rid of the TIROS in their larger lights.

5. LED. 2AAA seems to have a smaller LED. The 2AA LED looks bigger. Wonder what kind of LED each is using. I thought I remember reading in another thread that these LEDs may only be rated for less than 2,000 hours.

Anyone else here have the Inova Bolt? Have they held up for you? Any LED failures or other issues?

I plan to use them for around-the-house stuff where I can use common batteries.

These are pretty handy products for the price, if they prove durable.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the 2 AAA almost every day for the past month. I find it a great little hip pocket light. Bright enough for most daily tasks around the house. Have good runtime. The rubber sleeve is comfortable, and it is the one light I actually have gripped with my teeth and it was comfortable, lol.

I think its a great little light, but then again my old fav light used to be the 2 AAA minimag and this one takes that slot.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do the batteries go in backward like they do in other Inovas? I just instantly killed my second Inova by putting the batteries in the same way as I do in all my other lights. Backward batteries are a show-stopper for me.

c_c

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up some Inova Bolts, 2 AA models and 2 AAA models..... 2AAA seems to have a smaller LED. .... Wonder what kind of LED each is using. I thought I remember reading in another thread that these LEDs may only be rated for less than 2,000 hours....

Here is a scan of my Victorinox 2AAA LED "2 watt" flashlight. The new 2 watt version Inova X1 LED looks the same. Does your Bolt LED look like this, too?

Check out this thread in which LukeA identifies the LED as a Lumileds LXCL-PWT3.

victorinox-2aaa-led.jpg

o0o

Enlightened
Do the batteries go in backward like they do in other Inovas? I just instantly killed my second Inova by putting the batteries in the same way as I do in all my other lights. Backward batteries are a show-stopper for me.

c_c

The batteries are backwards. But, I thought Inova had polarity protection?

o0o

Enlightened
Here is a scan of my Victorinox 2AAA LED "2 watt" flashlight. The new 2 watt version Inova X1 LED looks the same. Does your Bolt LED look like this, too?

Check out this thread in which LukeA identifies the LED as a Lumileds LXCL-PWT3.

victorinox-2aaa-led.jpg

The AAA and AA appear to have a DIFFERENT LED. To my eyes, the AA led is bigger.

I cannot tell based on the image above what kind of LED that is--to me they all look similar.

o0o

Enlightened
Okay, after examining in the dark, it now appears that the Radiant AAA Nichia is actually outputting more than both Bolt AAA Luxs. The main advantage of the lux is a better tint.

I think that the luxeon based Bolt AAAs must be hugely UNDERdriven. I'm guessing 5-10 lumens.

The Nichia in the Radiant must be overdriven, because its blowing away every other Nichia light I have in output. I would be surprised if the Nichia Radiant AAA has a long LED life given that it is a Nichia being overdriven.

Last edited:

CyByte

Newly Enlightened
My inova t1 wasn't damaged by me putting a battery in backwards.

22hornet

Enlightened
I use the 2 AAA almost every day for the past month. I find it a great little hip pocket light. Bright enough for most daily tasks around the house. Have good runtime. The rubber sleeve is comfortable, and it is the one light I actually have gripped with my teeth and it was comfortable, lol.

I think its a great little light, but then again my old fav light used to be the 2 AAA minimag and this one takes that slot.

+1

I also like the 2AAA Bolt a lot and it took the place of my old Minimag 2AAA.
I guess the Bolt should last for longer than 2000 hours because - I guess - it is not driven at full spec but it sure is more than 5-10 lumens. When comparing it falls between a Fenix E1 and a Fenix L0D CE on medium. So I guess it is at least 12 lumens.
My 2AAA Peak pacific HP is brighter though (Flashlightreviews rated it at 14 lumens and the Fenix E1 at 11. So 12 lumens for the little Bolt seem realistic)

Kind regards,
Joris

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no way of doing a test of output, but I did do a runtime test of it myself. A new setof batteries rain for almost exactly 5 hours to the minute. The last 30 minutes though were weak enough as to be barely useable light.

I do really love this light, it has become my most used light overall, just as the AAA Minimag was for years before. I may pick up another one and try polishing the reflector and see if I cannot pull some more throw out of it.

mlarrina

Newly Enlightened
Hi, what about the Bolt Lithium 4.6 Watt LED BLT-2L, Do you know something about it??? Pics and info are realy welcome...

Did you ever get any responses. I'd like to modify mine and any help would be appreciated. THX