School schedules; any places still using "Traditional" ?

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
2006 was the last year the school district in my area used the "Traditional" school schedule where school begins after Labor Day. This year, Chino Valley Unified (and many other school districts I've noticed) have switched to what we called the "Modified" schedule. In my case, there are schools in my area that will start on August 20. I've talked to some of my friends on the Air Raid Sirens forum who are from the central to mid-eastern states and many of them are also starting school around August 20; although a few members are already in school as of July 30th.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
NYC public schools still start after Labor Day. Until all the schools get A/C I don't think there's any alternative. I remember the classrooms being uncomfortable even in September, and this was in the 1970s when summers weren't as hot as they are now.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the benefit of the modified schedule? Do the kids get out earlier in June or have more time off during the year?

I guess I'm old school, I remember how I felt as a kid and a kid should not have to go back to school until after Labor Day. I'd rather go that extra week in June rather then start in August.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
A large majority of the schools in Western Washington still use a "traditional" format. (I don't know of any public school districts that use such odd schedules, though I can't say all)
But it does seem like year after year legislation is passed requiring kids to spend more and more days in school. Yet it seems the American school system continues to fail miserably. But thats another topic...
I am quite interested to know statistics how many still use the traditional summer break and how many are on other schedules like year-round.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
There's been lots of unrest in this area about the conversion of many elementary and middle schools to a "year round" calendar. We've had such an explosion of growth here it's been tough for the schools to keep up with it. They can't build them fast enough. This change is really making it tough for families with two or three kids on different "tracks". I think it's actually decreased the property values in my neighborhood because of this semi-manditory "year-round" along with busing for "economic diversity".

Geoff

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
They haven't always sucked, and they dont all suck, and yet very few go through the summer. The solution to the issues isn't that simple.

My daughters school doesn't suck, and they start on Aug 21st this year. The logic behind that reasoning is hidden deep in the mind of some petty functionary and their paperwork somewhere.