• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Rookie seeking general info

ArisaemaDracontium

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm looking for some info on the basic how too's of the electrical work involved in modifying lights. Explanations of techniques such as soldering, thesaurus of what all these terms mean, what are the best parts to buy (everything from LED's to just wires and connectors) and where do I buy them. Are there maybe some how-to websites or books someone out there can send me to? Can anyone direct me to good retailers of emmitters and other electronic bits?

I'm kind of new here and definitely a rookie when it comes to light moding. My previous experience consists of little fixes to keep older bicycle headlamps running as long as possible. I was very proud of the modifications I made to my old Vistalite 15W halogen system to keep it running... until I caught the cord on fire.

Today I managed to splice some extra wire into the cord for my PT Apex so the battery pack could be put in a pocket or backpack, and the finish product looks pretty good so I'm feeling somewhat more confident... even though I really have no idea what I am doing, I used some parts my father had given me that LOOKED like they would be good connectors between wires. So far it seems to work just fine. Anyway, I would like to learn a bit more so I can be sure I am doing things right when I attempt to upgrade the emitter in my EOS in the upcoming weeks and later in my Apex. It would sure be helpful if I knew how to solder correctly.

Thanks,