Recommendations for emergency light/lantern please

Duffy

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
In the past I've come to this forum for advice on the best pocket light for me (Arc AAA) and purse light for my wife (PT Rage). I love those lights, so I'd like to ask another question. I'm in earthquake country, so I keep 3 days' supply of food, water, and other essentials under a hard cover in my garage. I'd like a flashlight to keep there, too. It would need to be tough, and ideally it would double as an area light or room light--at least it should have a hands-free stand. Waterproof would be good, as would good endurance (though I'd keep spare batteries there too). Any recommendations? I'm always attracted to cool, expensive lights (of course), but this isn't something I'd be using much, let alone admiring. I'm thinking of something basic like the Garrity G-Tech 6V, or the Ray O Vac 4D industrial swivel light. Any thoughts? How do 6Vs compare? They don't seem to get discussed much.

Thanks,
Duffy

Reaper

Enlightened
Good choice of mine is one of those collaspible lanterns sold under various brands. I have 4 of those made by Texsport. It takes 4 D cells and comes on when you pull up the top. Seems to be made of heavy duty plastic(?) and has a angle top that will prevent rain from getting to the lamp or batteries. This is what I used during the last power outage. I also have candle lanterns (both single and multi. types) plus lamp oil units, but you don't want to use these in case you worry about a gas leak. Now I'm waiting to see how you would put in multi led or L.S. in these lanterns to make them even better.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya, my solution for power outages is a fluorescent lamp for area lighting (mine is from Coleman and takes either D batteries or those bigger square cells). And, absolutely indispensible is a headlamp for hands-free lighting, I have a Princeton Tec Aurora but there's any number of good options.

Joe

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I agree with Reaper's LS comment. Living in Equake country also (Alaska), I've of course got my "basic" torch collection, but have an Elektro Lumens StarLux, Blaster II, and just today got my 3D Mag Trilight adapter. I've got a couple little Energizer folding LED lights (great room light), as well as some Infinitys w/lithiums, several CMG Reactors w/lithiums, and a couple PALights (standing on end reflecting off of a white ceiling = another little room light). I'm a firm believer in the LED based lights for longrun times in case of a disaster. I also have a couple long throw lights to compliment my LEDs...and also agreeing with JoeT's headlamp comment!!

Sorry, if this thread was meant for a specific "lantern" suggestion, but these are my Equake lights. I'm always open and susceptible to suggestion though...I may have to go buy ("Oh no honey, not another one...") another light after a few more postings here!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
The Ray-O-Vac retofitted with an LED bulb would be useful. I have one of the 2D swivel head torches fitted with a PR converted bulb. With a single 5mm LED you will get months of light from a pair of D Cells!
Choose narrow beam LED's for long throw and wide beam LED's for area lighing.
I'm presently field testing a couple of Benross 4033 LED conversion torches. These can be conveniently hung by thier lanyards from a convieniently placed hook.
Another practical addition to make a torch hands free is a retort stand. This can be used to convert your torch into a hands free directable table lamp.
I have also used the "reflect off the cieling" method to disperse light.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
The big question is, how much light?

To just see enough to walk around, the little eveready 2-LED folding lantern is nice, runs on 4AA's I believe. For more light, a flourescent is nice. I have both, but typically use a 3C cell Tektite 7-LED for "lights out" condidions. It's a broad area light, it won't stand on it's end, but it lasts a long time on a set of batteries.

pec50

Enlightened
Having been in "disaster" areas where extended power outages have occurred, I will second the purchase of the Eveready 2 LED folding light. It's small, will provide you with 100-200 hours of area light, and provides sufficient light to read. Supplement this with something like the SL 4AA LED flashlight. Both run on easily available AAs and will cost about $30-35 total. Or, go with a custom mod flashlight.

bhusick

Newly Enlightened
i recently experienced a 24 hour outage and used 2 lightwave 4000 flashlights for all my needs. pointed up at the ceiling they do a great job of area lighting, and they run for a ridiculously long time on 3d cells.

-b

Reaper

Enlightened
On reflection, I could mention the other lights I have but area lighting is one that I never gave much thought to. You only bring it out when the power goes. Just now I thought about the new EverLed bulb coming out soon and I think it's a PR base. Supposed to be usable in lights using single or multiple cells? Might work since my lantern bulb is also a PR base, but paying around 39.00 for one EverLed may not be cost effective for a light used only once or twice a year.

shipinretech

Enlightened
Having multiple lights is a good idea. Both Ray-O-Vac and Energizer market fairly good and inexpensive 2xAA headlamps that I strongly reccommend having for an emergency kit because it won't break the bank to get them.

I also reccomend a the InReTech AA Mini-MAG adapter because I sell them...uh...that is because they really are a good solution. Seriously, on a standard set of alkaline batteries, the InReTech AA adapter will run for more than three weeks continuously. At the end of three weeks it is producing enough light to read a newspaper with. This is not a lot of light, but it is enough to keep your family from being afraid in an emergency. Since the AA Mini-MAG flashlight will work in candle mode, you can set it someplace and keep the room calm.

If you feel it is likely that you will be engaging in search activities, the InReTech TRILIGHT mentioned above is a good additional choice because it will throw light for a long ways. The TRILIGHT will also produce usable light for more than a week of continuous use. One of the primary design considerations for all InReTech products is emergency use. One of the major advantages of LED technology is the low power utility, current LEDs will run on what would otherwise be dead batteries. Your emergency kit should always have plenty of batteries, though. Extra batteries are always used because they function as a source of confidence.

ab

Enlightened
I have modded a small Dorcy 4AA focusing lantern for this purpose. Now runs on a side-emitting Nichia LED. Goes from area light to spotlight, comes standard with a swivelling stand/handle, etc. A great disaster light.

You can see one by clicking the link in my signature file, then clicking "AB Dorcy mini-lantern"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Recommendations for emergency light/lantern pl

Lots of excellent recommendations here. If you already have a C or D Mag-Lite, you have several options:

2 Cell Nichia PR bulb - best I have seen is Versalux PR-2 from www.techass.com

For 3 and 4 cells, www.ledcorp.com is a good place to look, as they have both standard LED and high dome luxeon star in PR base (latter for 2 cells, as well).

The downside of the Versalux bulbs, as well as the MagmaLED (for minimags), is that you cannot use Lithium AAs. Alkalines only. They overheat extremely fast with Lithium AAs.

In a disaster situation, runtime takes precedence over brightness, since you may not be able to replenish battery supplies for a while.

Nice job on that Dorcy 4AA lantern mod, AB!

Albany Tom

Enlightened

That's a good article...I've gone back to it a couple of times for ideas.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
I like the ExternaLight

Hello Duffy,

I have lights everywhere and tend to use them. I don't have a light in my emergency kit, but can easily grab one on the way out. My problem is that the batteries tend to go dead just when you need them (this is what got me interested in LED lights).

With that said, I keep an ExternaLight in my backpack in the garage. It has lithium batteries, is water proof, has multiple brightness levels, and has some entertainment value in strobe and dazzle mode. It also can run a long time on a set of batteries. I would consider it my emergency light.

I also keep my TigerLight charged up in the event some search and rescue effort is needed (lots of light for a little over an hour, and can be recharged in the truck) and have a Lightwave 4000 in the truck.

Tom

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I like the ExternaLight

Nice informative article, Quickbeam! We draw the same conclusion for long periods without power: LED lights have primacy, while incans have a secondary role.

Around the house here, The PT Matrix or Matrix Module is perfect for a headlamp, since I get extended runtime from a pair of Lithium AAs. Outside I need something quite a bit brighter, of which, my Arc LS headlamp Mod (from Silviron) is the brightest.

I am one of those that prefers LEDs to incandescants, even for normal usage. My monthly income is $386 from socsec disability. So I have to make my batteries last as long as possible. This is where LEDs reign supreme. As I used to live out of a tent and backpack (oh my aching hooves), I think in terms of a month or so at a time for this. As a result, the only flashlight I have that has not been converted to LED, is my Legend LX.

For lights that were made as LED, I have the LW4000, LW Illuminator (headlamp), Brinkmann Rebel (2), regular Infinity, Infinity Ultra, Reactor (2AA), white Arc LS, and cyan Arc LS (plus Arc LS headlamp mod).

My incans that were converted to LED are Petzl Zoom Adapter, Petzl MegaBelt, Coleman Peak 1 Expedition headlamp, 2D Mag, 2C Eveready Comfort Grip, PT Solo with Matrix Module, and a Radio Shack Metal Mini that has a Pro Series 3 low dome LS in it. The others use regular LEDs.

So, for that extended power outage (for whatever reason), I am more than ready. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Duffy

Newly Enlightened
Recommendations for emergency light/lantern-thanks

Thanks for the advice, everyone. This helped me get clearer on what exactly I wanted (besides an excuse to buy another light, of course). I have several good flashlights that in almost all scenarios I could grab, so what I really decided I need is an area light. I bought the Energizer 4D folding flourescent lantern, and like it a lot. I may have to pick up one of those folding 2 LED lights, just because they're so cool. And if you insist that I must have a headlamp, well, who am I to argue? But on the current question I'm very well satisfied. Thanks again.
--Duffy

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joe:

I have an older Coleman two tube lantern that holds four of the block shaped 6V lantern batteries. If only one tube is run, run time is rated at 42 hours. The light will work with only two batteries as they are connected serial / parallel at 12 volts.

This is my main longer term emergency area light.

I have some Garrity and Dorcy battery holders the shape of these spring topped "lantern batteries" that hold 4 D cells. I now run 3 rechargeable D's per holder and one 3.0 V 7.5 Ah Lithium D cells so that the voltage actually is around 6V. (I bought 120 of these in 15V packs for a little over a dollar per cell.)

This is a large and not conveniently portable light which, undoubtedly, is why it was replaced with more compact versions.

Coleman makes a nice combination hand 4D lantern with a 6" fluorescent tube and a tight spot incandescent that sells for around $12 at Walmart. I keep one of these in each car, primarily for the fluorescent. I've put a 6.0 1.6 A Carley special order halogen HPR bulb in them as well, so the spot isn't too shabby either. The higher amperage and voltage of the PR bulb motivates me to load this with 3 NiMH's and one 3V Lithium D as well.

I have two of the energizer folding 4AA 2LED lights that were mentioned earlier. Though unsatisfying for reading, they adequately light a room in a 180 degree flood for navigation. Although less powerful than a flashlight with more LEDs, I find it a more effective area light than shining more LED's off the ceiling, although the hotspot on the ceiling may partially remove the emotional sense of light deprivation.

One is on a bedside table and the other in a main hallway drawer.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, the Eveready 2 LED folding lantern is more intended as a tent light. For reading, it really depends on where you put it.

Just reread my previous post, and I see I forgot to mention that lantern. On the tail of the battery compartment, it has a fold out thing for hanging, either from a nail or from a loop on the inside roof of dome tents.

Scott@Tektite

Newly Enlightened

You can indeed stand Tektite lights on end. Remove the rubber lens cover, and use as a stand (wider end down). This works for the Expedition and Trek models with the rubber glare shield.

"I got a million of 'em." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif