Do you like your Fenix variable switches?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm considering one of the digital Fenix lights and was wondering:

1. How do YOU like the switch (that you fully click on, then lightly press to toggle between brightnesses)?

2. Also, how well do you like the twist to the turbo mode?

3. How well do they work, and do you think they will be reliable?

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the switch, simple and the switching through modes is very reliable. The switch mechanism is very simple and can be easily disassembled - I don't remember reading about a switch failure on a fenix.
I have the L1D CE - I usually use the switch just to turn on the flashlight, and I twist the head to switch between turbo/low, so I can skip the other modes. So you can also decide if you want to first start on low or high.

mchlwise

Enlightened
I don't have any problems with the switch.

I've had Fenix lights for over a year now, and never had a problem with one. It's simple and easy to get the hang of, as is the twist for modes.

It's great to be able to know what level the light will come on at, and change it if you want to, before the light's on.

I've also never "accidently" gotten into s.o.s. or turbo modes. They're there, but out of the way so you only go into them if you want to.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the "twist to turbo" feature. Turbo is always just one twist away. I do wish that untwisting from turbo would bring you back to the last non-turbo mode you were in instead of always back to low, but this is a minor wish.

The switch itself is good, but I do sometimes click when I just want to soft-click.

cslinger

Enlightened
I like the UI very much. I have no problems with mine. I think it is very easy to use and to be able to set the light up for either minimum start or maximum star is great.

Now they ain't Surefire's sweet two stage setup but they are by no means bad.

greenLED

Flashaholic
1. How do YOU like the switch (that you fully click on, then lightly press to toggle between brightnesses)?

2. Also, how well do you like the twist to the turbo mode?

3. How well do they work, and do you think they will be reliable?

1. Although I prefer forward clickies, reverse clickies are better for switching between modes. They work nicely with the Fenix interface. Despite what some people think, I find the Fenix UI very simple and intuitive to use.

2. I keep mine on turbo all the time. I don't mind twisting the head for low.

3. As I said in #1, I think they're work nicely with the Fenix interface. I've owned half a dozen Fenix lights, and have never had an issue with the switches.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I may have to spring for one then.

I wish that the model, where you twist to switch between modes (within 1.5 seconds) started on the lowest setting and moved up in brightness like the click switch with the light tap models. It makes more sense to me to start out at the lowest possible light and cycle up to where you need to be. I was also interested in the Rebel AAA Fenix, but am not sure if I would like the medium, low, high type of output.

carrot

Flashaholic
They're pretty good. I would be much happier if I could remove the SOS and strobe, seeing how I never use them.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very happy with mine. The combination of a reverse clicky tail cap and a twisty head switch is a great idea.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I wish that the model, where you twist to switch between modes (within 1.5 seconds) started on the lowest setting and moved up in brightness like the click switch with the light tap models.
That's already how the IU works, if you have it set to "normal" mode (the head is not tightened all the way).

chanamasala

Enlightened
They're pretty good. I would be much happier if I could remove the SOS and strobe, seeing how I never use them.

I think they should have those two on the twist mode area.

On the non-twist modes it should be the low-med-turbo, IMO.

I personally prefer my flupic which allows you to set the brightness levels and modes you want, but it doesn't boost nor regulate which is a couple negatives.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I think he was refering to the P1D, which is medium, low, high, also the L0D.

Hondo
:ohgeez:You mean I misinterpreted the very part of his post I did not quote? :laughing: I obviously missed the jump from switches to twisty interfaces.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. I can't stand reverse clickies, so I don't like it at all.

2. I do like the bezel twist for instant turbo or instant low (though the low isn't low enough)

3. Switches seem to often be the weakest link. I'd guess that this switch will serve it's purpose for reasonable amount of time under normal use.

HeadCSO

Enlightened
My first Fenix was the L1D-CE. Initially after I got it, I thought the different modes would be awkward but after a little practice, it does become quite intuitive.

I really like the way Fenix has decided to isolate turbo mode on its own rather than leaving it amongst the other modes. Depending upon what I am using the light for - EDC it is left in low mode or if it is the emergency light, it is left in turbo.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. I prefer forward clickies and find it easy to pick my mode with a forward clicky. Having said that, the Fenix clicky doesn't give me problems. It is a BIT too soft so I sometimes fully click it when I only want to tap it, or sometimes tap it when I didn't want to at all. This is my first Fenix with a clicky, all my previous ones were twisties, so no past experience with the clickies, but I have read of clicky failures in the first gen L1Ps, but none since then.

2. I like the twist to change level feature. It allows me to know which level it will come on in (like my Dereelight CL1Hs). BUT, it would be really nice if the head were knurled as it can be slippery.

3. I think Fenix has come a long way in quality and durability. Initially, they had worse machining, less durable anodizing, and drivers that were not very efficient (tho, their competitors at that time were worse, so they still looked better, but better doesn't mean it was good). Since then, I think they've improved greatly on both the anodizing durability and driver efficiency. They now have some of the best drivers. Fenix's anodizing isn't my preferred due to the slickness and shininess (I prefer more matte), but they're fairly durable. Fenix anodizing is still not as durable as Luxogens though (the HAIII ones purchased thru Waion)...those take a serious beating. I think their machining quality has improved the least, tho still improved. There still seems to be some variance on different models...some seem really well made, others are ok. Overall, Fenix is one of the leading brands IMO for combination of price, quality, and performance. I'd say Fenix, Dereelight, and Olight are the leaders in this category. Lumapower and Huntlight are great too, but they cost considerably more.

scottaw

Enlightened
I think it's about as easy to use as it could possibly be. I never even use the turbo mode, for what i use it for, high is plenty of light.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Orion, I saw a positive post on the L0D Med-Low-High and how he liked it that way. He said it was very easy to see the difference between Med and High that way and mentioned on another light he sometimes clicked too many times because he didn't know he was in high already. He also said Med was his most used mode, so he liked it on that model. This is 3rd hand information though as I don't have the L0D.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the UI a lot. I usually use low around the house at night, and it's even fine for walking around out doors. If I need more throw I just tap up to medium or high, or twist for turbo.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
---NO----

Too complex, too many modes. Have to press on it too many times to get to the mode you want.

The twist the head idea is a good one, I wish it would control the modes. 2-3 modes would be about right. Turbo and medium perhaps.

I use in Turbo 90% of the time and hate switching between modes.

Also, the that 2AA Cree L2D-CE light is very slippery.

The head of it looks kind of like the tail, many times I've picked it up, trying to turn it on by pushing on the glass.