Three more and no more!

Genesis 1:3

Newly Enlightened
We had a major typhone passing through over the weekend, and a 6 hour power cut during the middle of the day. Yes, what a bummer!

When I was preparing for any potential power cut the day before, my wife found my darkest secret of flashlight collecting. When I told her my collection was nothing compared with some of the CPF members (with pictures shown to her), she simply replied "no wonder there are so many shrinks in the US". After hours of explaination and negotiation, I was allowed, for the rest of my life, to buy three more flashlights and that's it. I need your expert advice so I do not waste my final quota. I currently have:

2 x L1DCE (for my two boys)
2 x L2DCE (for my bicycle)
1 x P1DCE (EDC on my belt, not exactly happy with it)
1 x Inova T4 (TIROS, general household use)
1 x Inova XO3 (TIROS, general household use)
1 x Inova XO3 (2007 version, in car)
1 x Inova T1 (2007 version, in my backpack)
1 x SF A2 (EDC on my belt, very happy with it)
1 x SF G3 (in my backpack)
1 x SL TL-3 (in car)
1 x Police headlight (1W Luxeon LED, 50 lumens)

I would like to get the SF M6, but not sure how to choose the remaining two flashlights to best complement my collection. Any suggestions?

I guess from now on I will have to play with different bulb options if I can not buy more lights.

Barbarian

Enlightened
You have a nice collection of lights; However I think you should purchase 2 L series lights from Surefire to round out your stash. The cree version of the L1 is simply outstanding and IMO is the perfect sized flashlight. The L1 is a must. With your final selection, I would go with the L4 or the L2. The L4 is shorter and has only one level of light, but is probably my favorite light. Some consider the L2 too long, but it is an outstanding light. The L2 offers 2 levels of light.

Happy buying.

carrot

Flashaholic
Obviously, if you are only allowed three more, you should get a Surefire Beast II and then wait for newer lights. After all, consider how much money you're "saving" by only buying two others after that! Also, your wife will be smacking her forehead thinking, "what have I done?!"

z96Cobra

Enlightened
Make sure you only "allow" her to buy 3 more pairs of shoes, or 3 more purses/handbags... :grin2:

Roger

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
1st choice: The Beast II ;)
2nd choice: Ti-PD or SureFire Titan or a light you can play lego with (upgrading pieces, etc)
3th choice: Mag hotwire (HID or Incandescent) (custom made by you) You'll be able to make this light constantly evolve, not paying for a new light but for parts for an existing light ;)

carrot

Flashaholic
Here's some advice I gave awhile ago. Once your collection reaches what I call "critical mass," it is impossible for anybody else to figure out when you've gotten a new light.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your choice is no more, then I choose NO MORE WIFE:twothumbs.
After buy and choose wisely on flashlights.:p

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going for the ability to upgrade and customize as technology progresses should be the goal. The Mag and McGizmo suggestions are very sound, as you wouldn't technically have to buy new lights when they become obsolete. Also, listen to Carrot and WildChild when they suggest a big HID like the SF Beast. Since you're not on a specified budget, a high quality HID will last you a while and provide years of giggle inducing output.

flash_bang

Enlightened
Here's some advice I gave awhile ago. Once your collection reaches what I call "critical mass," it is impossible for anybody else to figure out when you've gotten a new light.
Bingo. Methinks I have a long way to go. I have a G2, incoming E2L, and maybe the KX5'd L5 when it comes out, so I have at least, well, 25 years to critical mass if the current acquiring rate of lights stays the same (G2 in november 06, E2L prolly in December-feb 07/08, L5 09 sometime or late 08)

I need more lights……

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
I 'm not married or anything, but i don't see why you can't spend your money the way you want. You are the provider aren't you?

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
Surefire M6 - Because you want it.

Amondotech HID Spotlight - because it's awesome

Inova X5 RED - because it is fun inside a house at night

who

Newly Enlightened
I think the choice is obvious, at least to me.
Buy 3 more "light systems", not just 3 "lights".
You can instantly create 10-20 new lights based on this Lego approach.

#1. Surefire E system:
Start with a L4, and then go from there. There are many heads and body for 1, 2, 3 cells to choose from.
E1L, E2L, and incandescent, the whole Aleph system fits here too.

#2. Surefire C system:
The choice is even better here. Start with a L5. All the P60 drop-in should work.
G&P head is only $12 from Lighthound…
Remember that with a C-E adapter, these two systems join. There are Leef body options too.

#3. New area to explore here

With this approach, you can always pull a "Clinton"
"I did not buy that flashlight" (just a piece of it.)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Wiser choice- Negotiate for an equal "allowance" for each of you. This would be money that each can spend in any way, no questions asked.

Geoff

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was allowed, for the rest of my life, to buy three more flashlights and that's it.

What if you sell/trade some?

I currently have…

Have you tried getting her a cute little light?

I guess from now on I will have to play with different bulb options if I can not buy more lights.

You could also upgrade the LEDs in some of those.

Illum

Flashaholic
three more and plenty more.

just elaborate on your uses and you'll get plenty of good recommendations, thats the good part of the forum:nana:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get in on the next 3 McGizmo waves. His titanium lights hold their value and provide an excellent platform for upgrades when newer LED's become available.

Don't settle for less.

I am thinking:
  1. Ti PD-S Mizer (As newer, more efficient LED's emerge, the longer runtimes will be a real benefit)
  2. Ti S27-PD (The non-mizer version for this one as the larger reflector can create a wonderful beam)
  3. Ti Mule Mizer (As newer, more efficient LED's emerge, the longer runtimes will be a real benefit)

KingGlamis

Banned
Wiser choice- Negotiate for an equal "allowance" for each of you. This would be money that each can spend in any way, no questions asked.

Geoff

Exactly. And it doesn't need to be a "set" amount. As long as you both are not spending beyond your means, I don't see the big deal. I'm sure your wife buys "something" that is not a necessity (shoes were mentioned). My wife buys lots of books. Cool with me because she enjoys reading. On the flip side I buy stuff I want that I enjoy (flashlights being one).

flash_bang

Enlightened
Well, you made at least one mistake. You shouldn't have negotiated. Just say that you can buy what you want and she can buy what she wants, as long as you have an allowance or something. I think this thing where she can buy as many shoes(or books, or what she's into)as she wants, but you can't buy some 100 dollar lights(that actually serve a purpose, as they are tools) is preposterous. You're a grown man, you still have freedoms.

Also, I agree with carrot about the whole "critical mass" thing. As long as you don't buy something that is wayy differnet than any of the lights you have (a silver ROP comes to mind) then you should be good.

Have a good one!
Flash

PS: the formula for how many lights you need is X + 1, X being how many lights you currently have :D (I think I might've got that from another CPFer)