Novatac DISASSEMBLED pics

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good One images.... perhaps you could resize them down to 800x600 px..

... How difficult is it to remove the bezel ring?

Need to center the very slightly off center LED for my NovaTac EDC 120 P ...although it does not have any effect on the beam...

opening bezel ring voids warranty?

x2x3x2

Banned
I don't think you need to remove the bezel to center the emitter, and the reflector is already a tight fit as it is anyway.
Just unscrew the retaining ring holding in the red emitter module, give it a few nudges to you're liking, then screw the retaining ring back in.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Bezel ring on mine came right off. There was some loctite, but it didn't stick.

The retaining ring came off during normal use, and will NOT stay tight.

Also, there's a retaining ring in the tailcap. It also came loose during normal use.

Not for sale. You wouldn't want it anyway.

And I DID resize the pics. They were even bigger when I took them.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool. So.... I really am interested in your opinion of the quality of the individual parts of this disassembled light.

Did it all go back together successfully? How easy do you think it would be to replace the emitter? Would it be as easy as just replacing the red module?

Thanks for sharing the very interesting photos!

turbodog

Flashaholic
Emitter replacement should be easy.

The light will not stay together. Once you loosen the rings and break the loctite bond, it's over. The darn thing will loosen up at the wrong time. Guaranteed.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emitter replacement should be easy.

The light will not stay together. Once you loosen the rings and break the loctite bond, it's over. The darn thing will loosen up at the wrong time. Guaranteed.
Hmmmm..... well..... that's to bad.

Just to clarify..... are you talking just about the light that you've taken apart when you say the darn thing will loosen up at the wrong time (I hope)?

turbodog

Flashaholic
Hmmmm..... well..... that's to bad.

Just to clarify..... are you talking just about the light that you've taken apart when you say the darn thing will loosen up at the wrong time (I hope)?

Yes, but if you read all my posts in this thread I state that 2/both of the retaining rings loosened from normal use.

I am not alone in this respect.

xiaowenzu

Banned
AWESOME pics turbodog! :twothumbs It just goes to show how well made the innards of Novatacs are - they're so thickly constructed. Oh and I'm impressed with the idea of using a sturdy spring to act as a 'battery-rattle' stopper, and also a conductor - very Innovative! :D

However, I think you've just voided your warranty on the light because Novatac doesn't allow end user mod/disassembly.. that's the reason why some people have had problems with the lights, because they've taken it apart. :mecry:

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is normal use? I found no loctite on my bezel. There seems to be a problem with your light. I wonder why you did not ask Novatac to repair or replace it before you disassembled it? Or Did you? What was their response? Under normal use well what I considder normal and what you considder normal, most likley differ but Durring my normal use with the light carried holsterd when unused it has allways operated as I would have expected it to. I press the button and it turns on.
I have observed that the switch may not be quite as rorbust as the switch in the HDS version of the edc. That said I own 4 HDS lights and they all seem to have different switches and different boards and springs...They are all different. I suppose the HDS EDC was under constant revision. The NovaTac on the other hand may be more closly related to a finished product.
I get the feeling that you did not want this light to work for you. Too bad because it it a cool flashlight
Too bad.
Yaesumofo

turbodog

Flashaholic
What is normal use? I found no loctite on my bezel. There seems to be a problem with your light. I wonder why you did not ask Novatac to repair or replace it before you disassembled it? Or Did you? What was their response? Under normal use well what I considder normal and what you considder normal, most likley differ but Durring my normal use with the light carried holsterd when unused it has allways operated as I would have expected it to. I press the button and it turns on.
I have observed that the switch may not be quite as rorbust as the switch in the HDS version of the edc. That said I own 4 HDS lights and they all seem to have different switches and different boards and springs...They are all different. I suppose the HDS EDC was under constant revision. The NovaTac on the other hand may be more closly related to a finished product.
I get the feeling that you did not want this light to work for you. Too bad because it it a cool flashlight
Too bad.
Yaesumofo

Just keep waiting. Those retaining rings are going to become the bane of their existence.

Grumpy

Enlightened
Just keep waiting. Those retaining rings are going to become the bane of their existence.

I agree with this statement.

Everyone out there that has purchased these lights are not CPF members and may not know that their light is not working correctly because the retainer ring loosened. They will just send it back for repair. I can see many being sent back for this issue. If the battery tube is tightened snugly, there is a very good chance that the next time that it is unscrewed for a battery change, reset, etc. that it will turn the electronic module which will in turn loosen the retaining ring.

I know about this and am able to fix it and I like my NOVATAC very much but others may not know why their light quit functioning.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
In your opinion which light is better made the original HDS or the new Novatac?

Based on looking at the pics it seems like the HDS well more thought out and has less points of failure. Too bad Henry didn't just release the revised battery tubes and caps for sale that would have made the old HDS perfect.

I think the old threading of the module in to the head was a better idea. It allowed the light to remain fairly water proof even with a crack lens. On the old light the whole section from the module to the retaining ring was was sealed to prevent things from getting in to the battery compartment and electronics module. People who modded their HDS know the leds to the LED were covered in a kind of silicon.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, this answers a question I was about to ask. I was wondering if the LE from the Novatac would fit the HDS body (since I prefer the Arc4 clip on the HDS over Novatac's arrangement).

Thanks.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turbodog, You did not answer my questions. Why?

I have examined closely my Novatac and HDS lights.
It is clear to me that both are well made. cleary design changes were made in order to bring the light into a lower price category. Keep in mind that there is a $100.00 difference in price. thats about 35%. If you bought car and then another similar car which cost 35% less I suspect that you ma not be able to expect the same level of quality on the less expensive car. IMHO the NovaTac is certainly not even close to being 30% less light than the HDS. In fact I find it to be a high quality flashlight especially for a "mass produced" flashlight.
I have some experience with retaining rings and I agree they can be the cause of difficulties. I will watch carefully to see if the "problem" crops up on my Novatac.
Here is the thing about this. The retaining ring is only under the kind of stress which would loosen it when the cell is being changed. I have had my light for about as long as anybody else and have replaced the cell maybe 6-10 times the retaining ring is still in place and is tight. How many times did you change the cell before you had the problem? If the light came with it loose to begin with then it is simple enough to tighten it up or send it in for repair.
My concern is that it is also easy enough to accelerate this kind of problem.
When I had this issue on a project I was working on I found that the solution was to tighten the ring during manufacture to a point where it would take a highly unusual amount of force to loosen the ring. That much force is unlikely to even present itself on the inside of my project. The issue was found during m beta and trial phase before production.

Now since Novatec has sold many of these lights under a government contract it would seem to me that testing of the design must have been extensive. Now if here on the CPF 500 lights were sold and somewhere around 10 of them have had this problem then I would Say this is a very LOW number of failures.
If you help the retaining ring to become loose then I can see this as being a big problem. I see no signs of loctight anywhere on my novatak. The retaining ring is VERY tight. The amount of force which will be required to loosen the ring appears to be significant.
I like the novatak. I hope this doesn't become a Huge problem as you predict it will.
I would be very interested in hearing what NovaTac's response to you regarding the issue was.
For some reason you seem to want to dodge this part of things.
So in fairness to NovaTac please answer the questions asked regarding this issue and what NovaTac said about it.
Without these answers. the thread may continue to appear to just be a campaign to put the novatak into a negative light. This can effect sales and if that is the intention of your posts it wouldn't suprise me to hear that Novatak had become upset.

The data set is too small to call this a defective product or a design flaw IMHO
As I said earlier I have a number of HDS lights and they all have different tail switch designs. Does that mean they were defective? No.
Does a couple of users who experienced a loose retaining ring make it a defective design or product? No.
But you thread can have the effect of yelling fire! in a movie theatre. This may be a non issue. More data please. To be clear what was Novatec response when you (did you?) reported the "issue to them"?
Yaesumofo