My red LED flashlight isn't red--it's amber.

R

Red_LED

My red LED flashlight isn\'t red--it\'s amber.

I have a Smith and Wesson Galaxy (PowerTech) w/ 3 LED's (uses 3 N batteries). It is red aluminum (the other models are white LED/black body, or blue LED/blue body). The "red" LED's aren't red--they're amber (yellow-orange). Have they sneakily done this because an amber light is naturally brighter to the eye than red? Do other manufacturers make honest red lights with a wavelength of 660 or so nanometers? Or are they all just called "red" because the light they emit is more red than it is blue?

I am taking this up with S&W and I want to be sure I'm correct in claiming that the light is not in fact red, and that their product is therefore inaccurately labeled.

Which, if any, models out there produce a true red LED light like that of, say, my red LED clock radio?

Thanks.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: My red LED flashlight isn\'t red--it\'s amber.

The red CMG Infinity is really red. And the red Pelican L1 is a bit more orangish; though still what I'd call red if somebody blasted me with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The red Photon (of any type) should also be truly red. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Although I have a S&W Galaxy, it's the white LED version, and it sucks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif
Go here to see my take on this flashlight.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Keep in mind that Smith & Wesson does not manufacture these lights. Their name is just licensed out. Unfortunately, there are manufacturers who'll put out crap and slap a well known gun company's name on it so it can sell. Taylor Cutlery does the same thing with Smith & Wesson knives.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened

If a red LED actually looks amber, it is seriously overdriven and you will probably have a dead LED soon. I suspect with 3 N cells (almost 5V with fresh battery), a red LED (rated at 1.5V) will not be very happy without a resistor.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have heard that with the LEDs especially that there have been quality control issues. These include color and brightness. It is normal for there to be variations in LEDS. Also sometimes the web sites dont' necessarily post the right color, and pics can be distorted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

arioch

Enlightened

LedMuseum:

Thanks for the review of the S&W Galaxy. I had the white led model on my "to get" list from Sportsman Guide ... but not anymore! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif