MINIMUM Required Flashlight Features

D

**DONOTDELETE**

As my flashlight inventory builds up in direct proportion to my dwindling checking/PayPal accounts, it occurred to me that I am reaching for and playing with some flashlights quite a bit more than others. I am beginning to realize there are certain minimum standard features on a flashlight to make it appealing to me, and for now they are:

1) on/off switch (NO turn heads!)

2) easy on/off switch

3) appropriate placement of on/off switch, depending on light type and purpose

4) no weird batteries (N? AAAA? Z??? No Thanks)

5) appearance (subjective, but so is this list)

6) BRIGHTEST for its type

7) LEDs for all purposes if possible

8) white beam (I'll use a filter if I really need color)

Unless it is a long-distance light, I remain ambivalent towards focusing ability. And I am not a diver, so it only needs to be rainproof.

At the rate LEDs such as the LS are coming out and improving, along with guys like Lambda, E-L, PG, DR, forgive-me-if-I-left-you-out, etc., all throwing their skills and inventiveness into the ring, I anticipate the day incandescents will be obsolete -- soon. Hell, even SureFire is working up LED stuff.

Your minimum features?

bwcaw

Enlightened
My minimum features are pretty much the same
as yours, but with the addition of: Water proofness(i am paranoid about this after i ruined an Arc ls after it was in water), and
hard anodizing(or TiNi coated
grin.gif
)<hint for
Mr. Gransee>.
grin.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I for one do not like focusing flashlights. The surefires are just perfect in that regard. How well do LEDs focus, anyhow?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

For me, after spending big $$$ on the light itself, NiMh's are a blessing. Use them up then charge them.

Robustness another consideration. If I drop it I expect it to still work.

Compactness is important. I regularly us a Mag rechargeable. This is cumbersome if you are trying to do multiple tasks.

Suppose an Illuminator fits the bill!!!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

"If I drop it I expect it to still work." This is a good one. I shall add it to my own list.

"How well do LEDs focus, anyhow?" We may see something shortly on this...

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good contributions above already, so here my few wants:

- Easy battery changes - even in the dark

- Non-flashaholics must be able to change batteries and bulbs easily too - no fiddly stuff

- Good spares availability and serviceability for wear and tear components, like switches, o-rings, seals, gaskets...etc.

- Able to be carried, operated with one hand for extended periods without too much strain.

grin.gif

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
My perfect light can stand on its end, and is dimmable (at least one dim position).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with you -- at least for my perfect utility light. My perfect tactical light needs neither of those.

I think my top criteria in how I pick a particular light are:

- OVerall beam quality: brightness, smoothness, and suitability to a particular task.

- Size

The above is why my Arc LS has made my Surefire E1 obsolete. Arc LS is smaller, and has a way better beam for just about any conceiveable job. I do like SureFire's switch better than a rotating head, generally speaking, but in this case the SureFire switch can't make up for the size and beam advantages of the LS.

Joe

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Minimum requirements for a utility light:

Waterproof.
Durable.
No switches = less things to break (sorry Mr. Bulk)
Reasonably bright

Minimum requirements for EDC light - all the above plus:

Small
high "cool factor"

Aloha

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BigHonu:
No switches = less things to break (sorry Mr. Bulk)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay no problem -- but now you have to sell me all your lights with switches then, heh heh.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MR Bulk™:

Okay no problem -- but now you have to sell me all your lights with switches then, heh heh.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lets see...

Inova X5 no switches
Arc AAA no switches
Arc LS no switches
Surefire M2 and E2 switches...but you don't need to use 'em.
Eternalight XRay definitely has switches...but you gotta pry this one from my wife.
grin.gif

Aloha!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BigHonu:
Lets see...

Inova X5 no switches
Arc AAA no switches
Arc LS no switches
Surefire M2 and E2 switches...but you don't need to use 'em.
Eternalight XRay definitely has switches...but you gotta pry this one from my wife.
grin.gif

Aloha!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well...then Dang!

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The minimum required to buy or use on a regular basis? I occasionally buy a light that I don't intend to use on a regular basis just to use it for comparisons, novel features or because I just had the flashlight itch. In that case, the minimum is a light emitter, a housing, switch and a power source.
smile.gif

But when it comes to carrying the light and using it on a regular basis, the minimums are higher. Number one, it has to be convenient. This is the minimum. Of course, how convenient depends on what you typically use a light for, what you can comfortably carry on your person, how much you can afford and what the state of the art is. Because flashlights are improving each year, what was convenient last year may not be the most convenient this year. The minimum requirements are increasing.

It should not make you have to think about it. Instead of thinking, "how am I going to light this scene or task", I should be able to concentrate on the task and be fully aware of the scene.

It also should not make you think about having to bring it with you every time you go somewhere. Life is complicated enough to also have to worry about how you are going to see.

It may surprise some to know that I typically only have one flashlight on me when I leave the house. Sometimes I carry two, but the second light requires a conscious thought to remember to bring it along. The first light is on my key chain of course so I typically forget I even have it with me until I find I really need it. And then of course it is there, which has turned out be quite convenient in those situations.

Continuing on the whole convenience idea... Its function should be second nature. How the battery(s) are inserted (positive up of course
smile.gif
), how it is turned on and how it is carried. It should be comfortable in your hand and not slip out with normal use. It should be able to be turned on with one hand (so you can still carry something and have light). Ideally, it would clip or somehow attach to whatever is convenient for you.

It should be reliable. You should not have to worry about its safety during your normal type of uses. Drop and immersion protection should be standard.

Ideally, maintenance should be minimal for it's class. This includes batteries, bulbs, o-rings, housing, switches, etc. If it requires constant attention to keep it working, it is probably wasting your time. Worse yet, it may leave you in the dark at a very bad time. There are good lighting solutions available today for a reasonable cost so there is really no excuse in carrying a finicky flashlight(tm).

Often you have to make a trade between the brightness level you want and the convenience of the light as a whole. For example, not being able to see can be a lot more inconvenient than having to change the batteries often. But on the flip side, selecting a light that is plenty bright but too bulky doesn't do any good if the light gets accidently left at home.

One of the ironies of flashlights is the most usefull are not always the brightest.

Extra credit would be things like flexible battery solutions, multiple power levels (hi/lo), scratch resistant housing (aesthetic), nice looking designs, colors, accessories, etc.

But it should at least light up sometimes... That is the bare minimum.
smile.gif

Peter Gransee

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
The minimum required to buy or use on a regular basis? I occasionally buy a light that I don't intend to use on a regular basis just to use it for comparisons, novel features or because I just had the flashlight itch. In that case, the minimum is a light emitter, a housing, switch and a power source.
smile.gif

But when it comes to carrying the light and using it on a regular basis, the minimums are higher. Number one, it has to be convenient. This is the minimum. Of course, how convenient depends on what you typically use a light for, what you can comfortably carry on your person, how much you can afford and what the state of the art is. Because flashlights are improving each year, what was convenient last year may not be the most convenient this year. The minimum requirements are increasing.

It should not make you have to think about it. Instead of thinking, "how am I going to light this scene or task", I should be able to concentrate on the task and be fully aware of the scene.

It also should not make you think about having to bring it with you every time you go somewhere. Life is complicated enough to also have to worry about how you are going to see.

It may surprise some to know that I typically only have one flashlight on me when I leave the house. Sometimes I carry two, but the second light requires a conscious thought to remember to bring it along. The first light is on my key chain of course so I typically forget I even have it with me until I find I really need it. And then of course it is there, which has turned out be quite convenient in those situations.

Continuing on the whole convenience idea... Its function should be second nature. How the battery(s) are inserted (positive up of course
smile.gif
), how it is turned on and how it is carried. It should be comfortable in your hand and not slip out with normal use. It should be able to be turned on with one hand (so you can still carry something and have light). Ideally, it would clip or somehow attach to whatever is convenient for you.

It should be reliable. You should not have to worry about its safety during your normal type of uses. Drop and immersion protection should be standard.

Ideally, maintenance should be minimal for it's class. This includes batteries, bulbs, o-rings, housing, switches, etc. If it requires constant attention to keep it working, it is probably wasting your time. Worse yet, it may leave you in the dark at a very bad time. There are good lighting solutions available today for a reasonable cost so there is really no excuse in carrying a finicky flashlight(tm).

Often you have to make a trade between the brightness level you want and the convenience of the light as a whole. For example, not being able to see can be a lot more inconvenient than having to change the batteries often. But on the flip side, selecting a light that is plenty bright but too bulky doesn't do any good if the light gets accidently left at home.

One of the ironies of flashlights is the most usefull are not always the brightest.

Extra credit would be things like flexible battery solutions, multiple power levels (hi/lo), scratch resistant housing (aesthetic), nice looking designs, colors, accessories, etc.

But it should at least light up sometimes... That is the bare minimum.
smile.gif

Peter Gransee
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eloquently put, and obviously based upon experiences necessarily gained during the trials and tribulations and rigors of -- developing his own line of lights!

Thank you Mr. Gransee...

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) provides light in the darkness

2) see #1

That's the most important feature to me.

Additional bonuses:

Doesn't break/go out when dropped.
Can withstand getting wet.
Runs long enough without needing a battery change for the job at hand.
Easy to operate.
No "rings and holes" in the beam.

Prefer:

The above plus:
Completely Waterproof
Very Tough/crush resistant

As a "Reviewer" perhaps I should have more discriminating tastes and more exacting requirements, but that just about covers it!

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Durability/reliability is #1
Adequately bright and convenient size/ease of carry are tied at #2. One's no good without the other.
3. Easy to maintain/replace parts (not to mention reasonable price for the parts)
4. Constant on

hairydogs

Newly Enlightened
1. Focusable 10X brightness at the size of G2 and have secondary selectable 1W & 5W Luxeon backup bulbs for close up work all with a recharageable run time of five hours and above - Waterproof, of course!!!! Wouldn't mind if a turbo head is needed.

2. Selectable 1W & 5W Luxeon bulbs in a E2 Size body with long run time - again, waterproof.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AndyJ:
Mr. Bulk,

What you're looking for is called a
Lambda Illuminator

Andy
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hay Andy,

Thanks for the info -- already got one. But another one the same size except in a MiniMag with the Legend's tailcap switch and FOCUSING ability (non-optics LS optically centered in the reflector's housing) -- now wouldn't That be cool...

Size15's

Flashaholic
My minimum required flashlight features.

I suppose that any flashlight will meet my minimum requirements if I pick it over a SureFire as my choice of illumination.

That means there are many flashlights that are good enough for me when I don't have a SureFire to meet my needs.

This is where things get complicated.

I suppose the main feature is longer runtime.
A flashlight would have to give me quality (few beam flaws) white light output for a runtime atleast double a SureFire without being that much bigger, less durable, or having a switch I don't like.

I figure that if I'm going to carry a SureFire and spare batteries, why not carry a flashlight that performs almost as well with longer runtime. For example, perhaps I would pick a PT Surge rather then an M2 for 2-4 hours of light.

For diving, I would go for a dedicated divelight. Here, waterproofness and runtime are very important. Size is less so.

When the A2 & M2D are released, I think my minimum requirements will increase.

The bottom line is it's got to be easy to carry, easy to use, provide me with more then enough brilliant white light in a flawless beam for my requirements, and be highly resistant to the abuse of EDC and of the tasks required.
I need accessories, options and support. I need to trust the flashlight and the company.

Al