NX-01 much preferred over NX-05

moses

Enlightened
Bought out some NX-01s about a month ago and modified our ARC LS by replacing the stock NX-05. After a month of use, there's no comparison in utility. The larger and more even hotspot of NX-01 is MUCH more useful than the NX-05. One problem with the NX-05 is its small hotspot which makes for uneven illumination. The NX-05 requires that one sweeps the light around to see a broad area while the NX-01 is much more even illumination a broader area.

A good part of the deal is that the throw is close to the NX-01s. I think what the 01 does is to gather more of the very wide and dim peripheral light which the 05 throws out and puts them in the center broad even hotspot. I find the dim peripheral of the 05 not that usable so the 01's solution in throwing it forward is much more useful. (That's my impression - have not done any formal measurements.)

Of course, your mileage may vary and some may still prefer the NX-05. Credit where credi't due, Slick is the first who turned me onto the NX-01s. (thanks Slick!)

Note that the McFlood by McGizmo is also a great even lighting but it is VERY broad compared to either the NX-05/01s and so, gives a lot less throw. I think the McFlood would be GREAT for regular 5 watters or overdriven 1 watters. In 1 watt, I find the McFlood to be great for reading a book as it is not overpoweringly 'hot'.

Anyway, thought this is worth mentioning one more time so that those of you with NX01 laying around can try it and see if you like it. We're converting all our LS into 01s and at least one for close up reading with the McFlood.

Mo

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've recently been playing with the 5W lambertian emitter using an NX01, and I like it. While the beam has the typical artifacts, I prefer how the beam of light is relatively even in intensity from one side of the corona to the other. The projection of the square "image pads" in the beam is nearly the same size as the circumference of the beam, so only the very corners of those "square projections" extend beyond the circle of light the beam produces..

My recommendation to modders would be to keep on hand one of every option (for optics) and try any and all combinations. I really like the NX01 on the 5W lambertian, and it was never intend for that use.