Micro Illuminator Review (Prototype)

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
A small package arrived today, and upon opening it I found this Brinkmann Legend inside:

fc9116e1.jpg

But wait a minute -- the proportions are all wrong. Let's take a better look, this time on the all-too-familiar floral tablecloth that graces MR Bulk's workbench:

fc9116e9.jpg

Well, that still doesn't seem to get it right. Perhaps next to somethng more familiar, like a real LGI:

fc9116e5.jpg

There, that's more like it. This baby is tiny.

So I opened it up to get a look at the insides. Yup, everything was there all right:

fc9116fa.jpg

But the heart of this whole light making system is smaller, in fact much, much smaller:

fc9116ec.jpg

fc91095d.jpg

And yet the tiny reflector was expertly enlarged and centered to take full advantage of its diminutive reflecting properties to spread out the Luxeon SE's yellow phosphor over the entire surface:

fc9116f3.jpg

Time to put it up against a big bad bully, the hugely popular and well-thought-of Nuwai AL-606...

fc9116f0.jpg

...with six (6!) bright white Nichias driven by 6 full volts of CR123 lithium power:

fc9116ee.jpg

And the beamshots tell a story of The Little Engine That Could. The Micro Illuminator fought back valiantly, spinning a mesmerizing David and Goliath tale all its own:

fc9116f5.jpg

Yes, the Micro's beam is greener. But that is a product of the particularly greenish 1W SE Luxeon used in this pre-production prototype, the result of the good ol' Luxeon Lottery. A whiter Luxeon will of course produce a whiter beam, and from what I understand the makers have secured a line on some doozies.

However, clinical beamshots against a hospital-white wall do not tell the whole story anyway. This is a truly bright little light that proves highly utilitarian when used for everyday tasks. From four feet away, you will get an idea of the size and usefulness of the Micro Illuminator's output by using the rolls of paper towels for scale:

fc910ef1.jpg

And of course, the final yardstick by which all light output is incontestably measured -- the Lightman LM631 as taken from one meter away:

Nuwai AL-606: 69 lux

Micro Illuminator: 84 lux

The Micro Illuminator will be available soon, around $70 I think they said, at an internet dealer thousands of miles away from you.

And the pre-order line forms right HERE.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ArcMania/Lambda MicroLuminator...

Now THAT is cool indeed! I may have to spring for one of those as it doesn't look like something I have the patience (or talent) to build.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whoo-ah! Very nice indeed! I have a couple of those Brinkmann AAAs around here - wonder if I can shoehorn a MM in there for similar effect....

Its precisely for light this size that I wish Lumileds/Nichia or someone would come up with a 0.5W luxeon-type LED (with a 20-degree beam optic built-in, T-5mm-style). 1xAAA just can't supply the juice to drive a luxeon hard.... unless, perhaps, its a one of those never-to-be-had Energizer AAA lithiums made with unobtainium.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Hey Leo,

I wish (mebbe someday?) there would be something the size of an Inova XT5 (or smaller) that produces output similar to a 5W direct-driven at around 7.5V, and doesn't get hot, and focuses over a wide range, and - and - and...

Mebbe someday?

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yo, Charlie, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Someday... (as long as its soon) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

zackhugh

Enlightened
Wow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I'm glad I came on tonight to check the forums. Just put myself on the pre-order list.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, in time for Tax Day? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:Yes, the Micro's beam is greener. But that is a product of the particularly greenish 1W SE Luxeon used in this pre-production prototype, the result of the good ol' Luxeon Lottery. A whiter Luxeon will of course produce a whiter beam, and from what I understand the makers have secured a line on some doozies.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, Mr. Bulk,

You are the KING of sourcing the ultra white Luxeons, so I am trusting your "inside comment" about the ultra white Luxeon's. I pre-ordered one!

Hey, is there any way to attach this little baby to your keychain?

I love my ARC AAA, but to carry a Luxeon Star LED as opposed to one Nichia LED on my keychain, well, that's a no brainer!

Nice review!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Bruce,

The Micro comes with a tiny little figure-8 steel lanyard loop (similar to SureFire's) already in the package, PLUS a sturdy keyring, PLUS the battery, etc. Just add keys...

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
BUMP!

I am wetting my pants over this little sucker!

CAN'T WAIT!!!!

OPEN OPEN OPEN OPEN OPEN

Can you hear me now!

notamchris

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody have pictures to compare the size of this sucker to something like an arc aaa, or a arc ls, or other small lights?

Also, comparitive beam shots would be nice...

Looks like an awesome little light.

BON

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
AlexGT said:
Edited:
Found the answer(what is second lamp from left), thanks for the pic!

Alex

[/ QUOTE ]

Toshiba LE Corp. sells TKH-21.
One LED is used.
Others have TKH-23 and the tkh-26 prize, too.
http://www.flashlight-fan.com/flame_page/frame_galaxy.htm
http://www.flashlight-fan.com/flame_page/english/frame_tkh21_en.htm
http://www.flashlight-fan.com/flame_page/english/frame_tkh26_en.htm

And Micro Illuminator
http://www.flashlight-fan.com/flame_page/english/frame_microilluminator_en.htm
microillumi4.jpg

MicroIlluminator vs Arc-LE

Beat regards
BON
flashlight_en.gif

http://www.flashlight-fan.com/

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
BON

Interesting little light! the links are Japanese! I can´t read them, altavista translate says it runs on 4 batteries, are they LR44´s? other pics ? beam comparison to the Arc AAA?

Any english page for more info on that light?, how much does it cost? does it have reflector? Etc.

Cool light!

Alex

Alex