Coleman Exponent 1W-4AA, can anyone tell me about it?

R11GS

Newly Enlightened
The Coleman website is a pretty weak and I sent them an email asking for a copy of the instructions a week ago, but just a bot response, no follow-up. :scowl:

I'm curious if anyone can tell me much about this headlamp? Particularly the different modes of operation, dimming and very importantly, can you access the red mode without doing white first?

Any other impressions could be helpful. This is an extension of my topic What headlamps do red?

Thanks in advance...

sotyakr

Enlightened
FWIW, you might try PM'ing CPF'er "Blacklight". He actually works for Coleman on their lighting products and I suspect is more than qualified to answer your questions. You may not get an immediate response (he might actually be busy doing his job!), but he's always eventually responded to posts over on the Lantern topic.

Blacklight

Enlightened
The Coleman website is a pretty weak and I sent them an email asking for a copy of the instructions a week ago, but just a bot response, no follow-up. :scowl:

I'm curious if anyone can tell me much about this headlamp? Particularly the different modes of operation, dimming and very importantly, can you access the red mode without doing white first?

Any other impressions could be helpful. This is an extension of my topic What headlamps do red?

Thanks in advance...

I sent you a PM back with some details, but the one thing I didn't respond to was if red can go first. it currently doesn''t. I saw thispop up a few days ago and thought....duh, of course red should go first, so working on a change, will see if we can get the red to fire up first on the improved CREE version.

you guys have great insights, keep em coming. This time of year is out of control busy so wehn i am slow to respond, I am so sorry. but I may be overseas, or doing a hundred other things.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent you a PM back with some details, but the one thing I didn't respond to was if red can go first. it currently doesn''t. I saw thispop up a few days ago and thought....duh, of course red should go first, so working on a change, will see if we can get the red to fire up first on the improved CREE version.

you guys have great insights, keep em coming. This time of year is out of control busy so wehn i am slow to respond, I am so sorry. but I may be overseas, or doing a hundred other things.

Blacklight,

Thanks for keeping us up to date. Do you have a rough time frame as to when the Cree version 4AA or the single CR2 light will be available? Also, have you guys thought about making the CR2 light a single CR123 version? It wouldn't be much bigger/heavier and it would have twice the runtime! ;)

Blacklight

Enlightened
Blacklight,

Thanks for keeping us up to date. Do you have a rough time frame as to when the Cree version 4AA or the single CR2 light will be available? Also, have you guys thought about making the CR2 light a single CR123 version? It wouldn't be much bigger/heavier and it would have twice the runtime! ;)

I am hoping January for both lights (CREE version of 4AA and the CR2 Light)

With the CREE light we had a tool crash so are making a new tool, going to also change the 5MM lights to RED on first in the CREE version (good cathc R11GS).

I saw final samples of the CR2 light today, going to wear it to a campout this weekend. Man it is so light and bright. currently no plan to do a CR123 version of it. It would take completely new tooling, and need to see how this one does first.

R11GS

Newly Enlightened
Thank you so much for the PM's and the rest Blacklight! Your response was lickity split! :thumbsup:

The lack of red first is a deal killer for me. :thumbsdow

As I mentioned in the "red thread", I am a heavy red light user; pilot, sailor, and many nights outdoors). This isn't the first red/white combo light that lacks red light first that I've seen. :oops:

It's one of those things I look for right away.

R11GS

Newly Enlightened
Please let us know when the Cree version with red mode first becomes an option. I might give one a try at that point; it does seem to have some superior points over the Primelite; e.g. regulation, brightness....

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
4AA. EEEK! That's a deal killer for me. Too much weight! Unfortunate, since I like it when main line companies like Energizer come out with cool products.

R11GS

Newly Enlightened
Four AA's doesn't really kill it for me; especially if the pack is removable. Three is better and to be honest, I can't see why it can't be done well with two.

The lack of red first is what did it for me....

iced_theater

Enlightened
4 AA's doesn't bother me at all. The ones I dislike are 3 AAA's. I probably wouldn't ever use the red light, but full regulation with the Cree is what I want.

R11GS

Newly Enlightened
I'm with ya on AAA's. Mebbe not for the same reasons - everything that uses primaries I'll take "on the road" uses AA's. A headlamp for me is one of those things I really want "on the road" and so if it were to use anything but AA's, I would have to carry/buy batteries just for it. And I don't wanna - unless of course, there is a *very* compelling reason....