Dereelight Q5 install pics...sorry no beamshots

nmanchin

Newly Enlightened
The Dereelight CL1 has been a great value in terms of quality, performace, and the fact that it had the industy standard P60 setup.

Alan is trying to find the Q5's for the brass pills on his drop in but they aren't available as of yet. i took matters in my own hands, ordered some Q5's (WG/WC) from cutter.

please excuse my noob soldering skills, sloppyness, and huge pics. the second one i did was much cleaner.

this is the original 12mm star
DSCN0819.jpg

you can see how much material needs to be removed from the 19mm. cover the diode with painters tape and dremel away. i had to use a stainless bottle with ice water in it as a heat sink to cool things off often while dremeling.

DSCN0820.jpg

DSCN0821.jpg

that's more like the size we need! not much room on the soldering leads. make sure you debur with a fine grit to make sure there is no contact between the lead and the alloy star. i also used thermal epoxy on the edges of the star and the pill

DSCN0824.jpg

i ended up having to scrape away the leads on teh board right next to the base. as you can hopefully see. be very careful, use a nice sturdy knife

DSCN0826.jpg

DSCN0827.jpg

DSCN0828.jpg

yes, they work despite my chicken on speed soldering skills. are they brighter. yes, but it's not earth shattering. he had Q2's in there before. it might be more apparent on primaries. however the Q5's run noticeably cooler. you can put the reflector back on while the paste is curing to ensure the diode is centered and is being firmly pressed against the pill:twothumbs:twothumbs

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you running with a 18650? When I modded my UF C2 to a Q5 I had to put in a couple RCR123's to really see the difference as I don't think the 18650 was suppling enough voltage. If I recall the RCR123's are okay with Dereelight's 2-stage, but not the 5-stage.

nmanchin

Newly Enlightened
yes, i'm on 18650's. i have both the 2 stage and the 5 mode. i'll try out the primaries on the 2 stage later on. thanks...

Dereelight

Newly Enlightened
Are you running with a 18650? When I modded my UF C2 to a Q5 I had to put in a couple RCR123's to really see the difference as I don't think the 18650 was suppling enough voltage. If I recall the RCR123's are okay with Dereelight's 2-stage, but not the 5-stage.

I think you have got a fairly high VF emitter, only brighter than original when battery fresh chargered.:shakehead it's really not every circuit can get great performance with high VF Q5.:)