Can't load pre-sp1 copy of XP with new 320GB, please help

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've thrown this question out on a computer forum as well but cpfers are quite computer knowledgeable.

Ok, putting together my first ever SATA system with a 320gb SATA drive. I am attempting to load a pre-sp1 copy of XP and it says the unpartitioned size is 131070 MB, obviously incorrect. I thought I have read somewhere that it's only after SP1 that will recognize bigger drives, is this correct? How can I get around this? Is there some boot utility I can put on a cd rom that will boot up and correctly partition and format the disk? I have another system that is completely windows up to date but it is all ATA, no SATA. Please help me on this. Even if somehow I am able to partition and format to correct size when I then go to reload windows again, will it still have trouble recognizing the drive?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Partition the drive into 3 sections. After installation and SP2 update, you can then delete the partitions and merge them into one single partition again.

However, you would most likely be able install with no trouble, and after SP2 you would be able to recognize the full drive. But if someone else chimes in with more specific knowledge of this problem, believe them over me.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
No Raggie, I think you're right as I've just read up some on slipstreaming and it sounds like it would work. However I'm warming to the idea of maybe just creating a relatively small partition say 60-80Gig that will hold XP, all my programs, games, etc and then after xp install with SP2 update, partition the rest as a second drive and use for data storage. I'll have to sleep on it tonight and see how I feel tomorrow.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Partitions are a good idea. But so is slipstreaming. The Autostreamer program makes it easy. If you ever need to repair XP you'll want an XP install disc with the latest service pack.

If you make a bootable XP install disc or any bootable disc, you don't need to use a CD. A DVD will work and it burns and boots faster.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
can you install sp2?

mine can't...

i am so screwed...

when ever i install sp2, the system becomes super slow, the antivrus won't work, firewalls,messenger and everything else could not work too.

end up using my laptop...

3 months since i touch my desktop.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it run better if you boot up in safe mode?

I don't know what your problem is with SP2. I had a problem a few years ago with a service pack for Windows 2000. It turned out to be a goofy driver that got installed with some application. It's called the jungo driver. I found an update for it on the internet.

By the way, when you install a service pack, there is an option to save the old stuff so you can remove the service pack. It requires some disk space but if you have the space, it's a damned good idea.

The other thing I do with service packs is to download the "network" version. (or whatever they call it) This version can be installed any number of times. I avoid doing a live install from the internet because if I have to remove it, I then have to do the time consuming download all over again.

Actually I have dial-up so I download the "network" service pack at a friend's computer with a cable modem. You can also buy it on disc from Microsoft for a small charge.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
However I'm warming to the idea of maybe just creating a relatively small partition say 60-80Gig that will hold XP, all my programs, games, etc and then after xp install with SP2 update, partition the rest as a second drive and use for data storage. I'll have to sleep on it tonight and see how I feel tomorrow.

That is a good idea. Makes defragging easier since the drive with the OS on it needs defragging more than the one with your storage.

You can create the partitions before you install the OS. Go to the drive manufacturers web site. They all have tools for partitioning their brand of drive prior to the OS install.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although a few steps involved in it's creation, slipstreaming worked and XP is now loading. I created a 60Gig drive for the main partition. Thanks Raggie.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boy, what a breath of fresh air this Athlon 64 4800+ X2 system is over my old P4 2.26 system. Applications that every time they ran used to suck 50 percent or more of my CPU usage such as security software are now only taking 5-10 percent. I'm going with the onboard Radeon X1250 graphics for now (supposedly the best for onboard) but hopefully in the not too distant future I'll get me a decent budget video card such as perhaps a Nvidia 7600 GT. I thought about getting a cheap Intel Core duo CPU and overclocking it but this seems pretty decent as it is and is low noise and low power.