WA bulbs: Group buy: Final list

ake

Newly Enlightened
I post this one as a new thread separated from a newbeam post in LED forum. I also copy some previous post about this by lemlux and me as well.

lemlux
Flashaholic
Member # 1485
posted 05-18-2002 08:39 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Minimag collection recently increased to 4 plus a couple of clones because I have purchased a couple of Mag 3D's recently (One has 9 AA's in 3 packs and the other has a 5-cell Mag Charger battery) Since Home Depot bundles a 3D with a Minimag for $18.99 I wasn't willing to buy a 3D any other way.
These lights are OK placed in drawers in various rooms around the house with the Radio Shack .43A replacement bulb, lithium AA's, and WriteRight.

In the next week or two I finally expect to make my large bulb order from Welch Allyn. Included in that order will be a significant number of #01121 2.4 V 1.10 A Halogen wire terminal bulbs. Driven by 2 AA NiMHs, these bulbs should provide 28 L in the Minimag for more than 1 1/2 hours.

This mod will make the MiniMag about as bright as an E1. That's enough light that I'll start carying them in my briefcase and in my car glove compartments. The emergency lights will stick with the .43 A bulb and lithiums.

I guess my Minimags cost about $5 of the combo package price and the W/A bulb is $4.69. Assume that I used $0.31 of WriteRight on each. That brings the cost of my poor man's extra long E1 wannabe to $10 plus the cost of NiMH's.

I'd really would need to generate more light than 3 LED's out of the MiniMag before I'd make than kind of conversion. I'd be delighted to have a regulated LS. At the moment, the low-end for me on a useable non-emergency medium run time LED light is a lightwave 2000 driven by lithiums. A step up is any light in which I run one of John Bechtold's 4 LED PR bulbs with Nichia white 6400's. I just can't persuade myself to spend more than the cost of an X5 for a modified 3 LED Minimag.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 336 | From: San Diego | Registered: Mar 2002 | IP: Logged

kubolaw
Member # 1704
posted 05-18-2002 09:43 PM
Hey Lemlux, your MiniMag plan sounds great! Are you ordering the 01121 bulbs directly from Welch Allyn? I may have to look into that myself based on the information you've presented. Thanks!
John

Posts: 9 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: May 2002 | IP: Logged

lemlux
Flashaholic
Member # 1485
posted 05-19-2002 07:08 AM
kubolaw:
Yes, I'll order directly from W/A. W/A has a $100 minimum.

If you order on the Web, every bulb sells at a flat rate of $7.50 @.

If you order on telephone, prices vary. The bulbs I'm interested in vary from just under $2 to just over $7. As a hobbyist, getting quotes for various bulb numbers is not the easiest thing to do. (Just ask Klaus)

Group buys are definitely worth considering.

Since I'm converting many Energizer Double Barrels to serial to run higher wattage bulbs in serial with A or AA NiMH's I'll get to the minimum.

I'm not volunteering to mail single bulbs to a zillion people. If there's enough interest, maybe Tim Flanigan at NorEast Knives can be persuaded to stock them. (Tim's previously said he hasn't stocked bi-pin bulbs before, but there's a first time for everything.)

Buddtx:

I also thorougly enjoyed and appreciated your comprehensive dissertation, BTW.
A well designed, regulated LED product is very seductive.

Posts: 336 | From: San Diego | Registered: Mar 2002 | IP: Logged

ake
Flashaholic
Member # 1393
posted 05-19-2002 07:41 AM
lemlux, can I jam in for a few bulbs for the mini-mag? I wanna try it too, but don't need $100 worth of bulbs. If it's fine with you, will send you a check with shipping cost.
thanks,
Ake

Posts: 64 | From: Central NY | Registered: Mar 2002 | IP: Logged

lemlux
Flashaholic
Member # 1485
posted 05-19-2002 09:43 AM
ake:
If you volunteer to be the distribution center for other interested parties, I'll deliver the order for the you and the rest of the group to you for redistribution at cost.

If I mail bulbs to Klaus and to you I feel I'll have done my share of the effort.

ake

Newly Enlightened
Maybe I should have posted it on a buy sell trade in stead.

lemlux,

sounds fine with me. If the party will share the shipping cost.

I am looking for something for my soon coming DB 6AA and 8AA and MiniMag (and problably PT tec40 and surge as well) that you already mentioned. Any recommendation on this? Anything superbright without damaging the reflector/lens housing and switch assembly will do.

kubolaw

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ake:
Maybe I should have posted it on a buy sell trade in stead.

lemlux,

sounds fine with me. If the party will share the shipping cost.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will gladly share shipping costs with you on such a purchase. Let me know if you decide to go through with this. Thanks!

John

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
ake and Kubolaw:

The DB 6AA and DB 8AA flashlights seem to have no observed problems with bulbs in the 9W and 12W area if you ream out the center reflector hole a little.

You might want to choose between the following to run with the stock reflectors and swithc assemblies:

for DB 4AA serial
#01319 rated at 4.8 V 1.92 A 9.22 W 204 L 35 hours bulb life.

expect 4.51 V 1.86 A 8.39 W 164 L 74 hours bulb life time.

For DB 8AA serial / parallel you can use the same bulb and expect to draw close to the higher rated voltage of 4.8.

for DB 6AA serial:
# 01315 rated 6.27 V 1.42 A 8.90 W 178 L 125 hr. bulb life

Expect to run at 6.90 V 1.5 A 10.35 W 249 L 40 hours bulb life.

For DB 8AA serial
#01278 9.00 V 1.10 A 9.90 W 244 L 25 hour bulb life.

expect 9.36 V 1.2 A 11.23 W 280 L 16 Hr life.

I'll be trying some higher wattage bulbs with Carley aluminum reflectors.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried the 01319 & 01315 and its quite nice

The 01319 is pretty close to 4.8V though when the seriel mod is done properly and with good cells - average voltage could be well in the range lemlux describes.

Klaus

recercare

Enlightened
To avoid paying minimum 100$ from Welch Allyn, buy from W.A contact in Germany or England! (minimum 50 Euro)

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Error - I tried the 01307 - not the 01319 in the 4AA

Recercare - did you actually bought any bulbs there - I know we talked about it and I contacted the guys I got the info from you and also some others I got from the WA site as well - at the point when they heard about the low volume I was dead meat - so again - any actual sucess ? - did you got / bought any bulbs - or only email and you think you could ?

Klaus

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that there are definate bulbs that I want from WA but i don't know which ones yet. I will talk further with lemlux and make a decision and will post back here in a few days. Thanks, for all of you that are willing to make this happen... Mike

recercare

Enlightened
Klaus

Yes I received email from the German contact. I had to order for 50 Euro. That means approx 10 bulbs. I got their bank account nr. as well. When the transfer was done the shipping was estimated 2-4 weeks. However, I didn't finalize the order because I wanted the Surge instead.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those who want to move gently, I tested what I think I is a 4.8 V 1.1 A W/A01307 bulbs today packaged as a UKE 6.6 V 4C bulb. (I suspect the UKE marketing guys multiplied 6 volts by 1.1 A to get 6.6 V.)I was willing to pay almost $8 to test one out before placing my larger order.

I'm pleased with this bulb in a DB 8AA serial / parallel with alkalines. It's much whiter and brighter than the stock 5.5 V 0.70 A bulb. -- both with new batteries. Being overdriven vs being underdriven makes a big difference in whiteness. I'll compare it to my Surge tonight. I'll also run it with NiMH's in both a serial DB 4AAA and a serial DB 4AA to see how it compares against the 4.2 V 0.70 bulb in that configuration.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, some surprises tonight.

First, the non-surprise.

The UKE 6.6 v 4 cell bulb is almost exactly the same brightness as the Surge when used in a DB8AA in serial parallel like the Surge. The Surge's hot spot is smoother and more attractive with the DB w/o WriteRight.

Next, the surprise.

I no longer am sure this bulb is the W/A 4.80 V 1.10 A bulb. It ran no brighter at first in either a DB4AA or a DB4AAA than did the 4.20 V 0.70 A DB6AA bulb. After a couple of minutes, the UKE bulb was dimmer.

Thus, this UKE 6.6 W bulb is relegated to an alkaline DB 8AA serial / parallel flashlight.
I suspect the design voltage is closer to 5.2 than it is to 4.8

ake

Newly Enlightened
As lemlux is going to order soon, I will give a 24 hrs period to avoid all possible burn out I may have on this. After that it will be closed.

PLEASE BE SURE WHAT YOU WANT TO ORDER, NO BACKING OUT PLEASE!! By that I mean please commit on what you order.

When you know what you want to get, please post here and email me ([email protected]) a copy as well. Please also include you mailing address.

Please contact lemlux to arrange for the payment. The bulbs will be shipped to me as a bulk and will be distributed from here.
Most order will add $1-$2 for the shipping cost.

Here is what I will order.

1.MiniMag:#01121 2.4 V 1.10 A
2.DB 8AA: #01319 4.8 V 1.92 A 9.22 W 204 L
#01307 4.8 V 1.10 A 5.28 W 104 L

Ake: 01121 (6)
01319 (4)
01307 (2)

ake

Newly Enlightened
Ake:
01121 (6)
01319 (4)
01307 (2)

this's from starlight:

strarlight:
01319 (1)
01307 (1)
01227 (3)
01121 (2)

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lemlux:
Well, some surprises tonight.

First, the non-surprise.

The UKE 6.6 v 4 cell bulb is almost exactly the same brightness as the Surge when used in a DB8AA in serial parallel like the Surge. The Surge's hot spot is smoother and more attractive with the DB w/o WriteRight.

Next, the surprise.

I no longer am sure this bulb is the W/A 4.80 V 1.10 A bulb. It ran no brighter at first in either a DB4AA or a DB4AAA than did the 4.20 V 0.70 A DB6AA bulb. After a couple of minutes, the UKE bulb was dimmer.

Thus, this UKE 6.6 W bulb is relegated to an alkaline DB 8AA serial / parallel flashlight.
I suspect the design voltage is closer to 5.2 than it is to 4.8
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The UKE bulb for C4 is 4.8v 6.6W and 4.8v 9.6W. None of them are rated at 5.2v. 4AA (even NiMH) don't have the juice to keep up its voltage under such loading. Try the same bulb in the real UKE C4, you will see the difference. It has smooth and larger hot spot than Surge.

Alan

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
K-T

I'll price each of the bulbs that people are interested in and post in this thread so people can back out if they have sticker shock.

BTW, have you followed through on your post on the SF board about sourcing some pyrex 3" lenses for the SF 3" turbo head? If so, I'd be interested in getting one if the price isn't prohibitive.

Edit:

Alan -- Thanks for your post. Your post suggests that the UKE bulb is 4.8 V and 1.38 A if the 6.6 W isn't marketing overstatement.

If nothing else, your post reinforces my inclination to overdrive bulbs in the DB lights. For example, I like the result of running 5 alkaline cells putting out about 1.4 V @ under no load plus a dummy in a DB6AA with the DB8AA 5.5V 0.70 A bulb. I also like this bulb with 5 NiMH's.

I probably should plan on running the 4.8 V 1.1 A bulb with 8 alkalines in serial / parallel just as I run the UKE 6.6 V bulb. I should also probably plan on running 8 NiMH's in serial with the 9.0 V 1.1 A bulb to adequately allow for voltage drop.

I have confirmed Klaus' observations that the 6.27 v 1.42 A 01315 bulb runs very well in a DB6AA with 6 NiMH's. Curiously, the 6.30 v 1.95 A 01148 bulb is yellower and dimmer even when run by 2 7.2 V A battery packs wired in parallel.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

If it's not too much of a PITA, would I be able to order some as well. Emails sent.

kubolaw

Enlightened
I'd like to jump in for the following:

01121 (6) [i.e., six of the MiniMag-style lamps]

Emails sent to ake and lemlux

John

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
All:

Here is where I think we stand at the moment regarding the W.A group purchase. Please consider any last minute changes of choice – particularly with bulb # 01319.

Bulb #01121 MiniMag Wire Terminal bulb 2.4 V 1.1 A 28 L 25-hour life
$4.69 @ plus shipping

Lemlux 4 @
Bushman (Edit)2@
Ake 6 @
Purchased Through Ake
Starlight 2 @
Toby 8 @
Kubolaw 6 @

Bulb # 01307 4.80 V 1.10 A 104 L 20 Hours
$1.63 plus shipping
-May be dim in serial DB4AA with 4 NiMH's
-Probably best in:
n DB8AA with 8 Alkalines in serial / parallel
n DB6AA in serial with 5 NiMH's and dummy

Lemlux 5 @
Bushman ?
Ake 2 @
Purchased Through Ake
Starlight 1 @

Bulb #01319 4.80 V 1.92 A 204 L 35 hours
$1.70 @ plus shipping
-Probably dim in serial DB4AA with 4 NiMH's
-May be dim in serial / parallel DB8AA with 8 NiMH's
-Probably brightest in DB6AA in serial with 5 NiMH's and dummy – this is a cheaper shorter running alternative to the 01315 with 6 cells.
Alan's comments a couple of posts ago reinforce my inclination to plan for NiMH voltage drops below 1.2 V per cell on drains in excess of 1.0 A.

Lemlux 0 @
Bushman ??
Ake 4 @
Purchased Through Ake
Starlight 1 @
Toby 2 @

Bulb # 01315 6.27 V 1.42 A 178 L 125 hours.
$7.18 @ plus shipping.
Klaus and I have confirmed that this works very well in a DB6AA in serial.

Lemlux 5 to 8 @ (may get some from Klaus)

No other CPF'ers have stated an interest in bulb # 01315

Bulb #01111 6.0 V 3.35 A 465 L 100 hours
Not priced

I now plan on using this light with W/A pigtail socket # 920402-1 ($4.35 @) for a few DB6AA mods with 6 A NiMH's and DB8AA's with 6 4/3A NiMH's and Carley Aluminum Reflectors. I will also use this with some multiple 7.2 V A battery pack project lights. The life on this overdriven bulb will be adequate. I've decided not to underdrive the 7.2 V 2.77 A bulb I discussed earlier.

Lemlux quantity TBD

No other CPF'ers have stated an interest in bulb # 01315 or socket # 920402-1.

Bulb #01278 9.0 v 1.10 A 244 L 25 hours.
Price $2.04 @

This is the bulb that I expect will work nicely with DB8AA's in serial with 8 NiMH's. Those of you who have DB8AA's and are thinking of buying the 01319 might want to switch to this bulb.

Lemlux 6 @

Starlight has also asked to have Ake buy him 3@ #01227 bulbs. These are T-1 ¼ bulbs rated at 3.50 v 0.72 A 36 L and 100 hours. I have no idea what the application might be, but I'm curious.

I probably won't be badly hurt if I add $0.25 per bulb total for each bulb shipped to Ake for freight in and freight out. Ake can tell you what he needs to cover his reshipment costs. After you've reconsidered and confirmed your bulb choices I will wait to receive payment from Ake before I place the order. (You guys are buying > $103 of the 01121 bulbs alone with your request for 22 units.)

K-T

*Moderator*
How can I find out how much a bulb I want costs? Just curious.

The other Klaus.