2nd Semi Annual Southern California Flashopalooza Feeler

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it's about that time when days are short and nights are long. Perfect darkness hunting time if there ever was such a thing (we know there is) armed with or many lumens this is the official feeler thread to work out tentative dates, I am at a position where my only conflict is school, so I (going on a limb here) am probably more flexable than most of you, and to make everyone happy I will leave the date up to shout outs.

Our get together went really well last time thanks to the expert leadership of LowBatt. While it was a lot of fun I feel that we were a little too unorganized and we didn't get a group pic and there were other things we missed (mostly darkness). So lets start this out with some dates and go from there. Enjoy.

Numbers

Last edited:

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
I'm in for some good ol' fashioned flashapalooza-ness. L.A. parks were fine. Anyone know if it would be darker around Irvine or Orange County? I'm game for any location; last year's flashapalooza was a blast.

- FITP

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with both FITP and fnmag. It was a great location, but the park officials are a bit strict.

You guys pick, I'm there. :popcorn:

groundhog66, Just mail yourself.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can certainly try to be there.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbs

Just found this thread. I am definitely in, and ALL of my guests from the last one have asked when it's happening again! It's really special to have stumbled across such a nice group of real world people through something like looking for a better flashlight on a website. Funny world.

JetskiMark

Enlightened
I'm in. The original Griffith Park location was really nice except for the fact that we got kicked out at 10 PM. Daylight saving time ends November 4th this year. We need as much time in the dark as possible. A location where camping is permitted would be ideal. That way, people who wanted to could stay overnight and everyone else could stay as late as they like. A large open area where camping is allowed everywhere (as opposed to small individual camp sites) would be great. Unfortunately, that would mean a longer drive for most people. One area that comes to mind is the Hungry Valley State Vehicular Recreation Area. Here is another link.

I'm just throwing some ideas out here. What would be a good location for our get together and what date would work for the most people?

Regards,
Mark

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just putting it out there that I for one am willing to either drive further for more hours and less light pollution, or stay close to the city, accept less time after sunset, and get a bigger turnout. Either strategy (or one event of each type!) would work great for me.

If we DO do a more remote gathering, it might make sense to meet in civilization and carpool/caravan, else some people will surely get lost, and some others will surely not come out at all because of fear or certain knowledge of getting lost.

JetskiMark

Enlightened
I would definitely attend again at the same location as the last GTG. That was a nice spot. Unfortunately, since the fire, they no longer allow barbecues, portable stoves or smoking anywhere in the park. Here is the official link. I think that could put a damper on the festivities. I am not a smoker and I would not be bringing a barbecue, but I think that might be too restrictive for our GTG.

Regards,
Mark

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know why I'm having a hard time thinking of a dark place that won't throw us out at 10:00.

Well this might be out of range but here goes anyway. Grand Canyon Caverns. Six hours' drive from Los Angeles. They have an awesome cave tour (VERY dark), decently kitschy motel (dark campus at night), and it's within an hour drive of Grand Canyon west rim where the new Skywalk is.

If a one evening deal is more the speed of you guys then I'll have to follow other's suggestions.