2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Built in two LED handheld

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought my wife a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT today and it has a built in flashlight. Nothing fancy, but it is built in to the back and it charges and has two LEDs in it. I think the OEM lights are LED, too, but I will have to check closer when she returns home later.

(I tried to search in case this has already been posted, but I am having issues with the search function tonight.)

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Caliber also has a rechargeable flashlight, I don't give a f*** what anyone says about oh they're not Cree's or whatever, that's a damn good idea.

coontai

Newly Enlightened
The Caliber also has a rechargeable flashlight, I don't give a f*** what anyone says about oh they're not Cree's or whatever, that's a damn good idea.

+1 finally they put a flashlight where you need it! I sure it will be a feature people will use and grow to like. Then again rolls royce phantoms had this feature years ago...

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
BMWs have had a flashlight in the glovebox since the early 80's. Not sure exactly when it started but the e30 3 series (84-91) might have been the first. It was a small rechargeable incan with a colimated lens. Pretty cool little light for the eighties. Never really took one apart or had it off its charger to check runtime but it was good for reading maps. I imagine it used an SLA bat but maybe ni-cad.

Most of the new GMs and Chryslers have led lighting for the dome lights and such.

Ford has had very dim green led lighting in the lincoln towncars for a while now - not the dome light but two little lights that stay on whenever the headlights are on. They don't exactly illuminate the cabin but they do prevent the front center area from being blacked out when you look down from the lit up roadway.
BMW has been doing the same thing in amber lighting for about a decade too. Not sure about others with this one.

Also seems like most manufacturers have gone over to leds for backlighting of gauges and such (thank god - not fun bulbs to change)

Definately a good thing for most in cabin automotive applications but I'm not convinced with the dome lighting - color representation and all, you know?

Speaking of rolls royce, they now have specially fitted umbrellas that go in a slot in the door (slot is within the doorjamb area). Also showing up in VWs and possibly elsewhere. kind of a cool idea too - though I can't imagine what the dealership will charge for replacements...

Last edited:

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definately a good thing for most in cabin automotive applications but I'm not convinced with the dome lighting - color representation and all, you know?

I have an LED array board 12v plugin that I put into my dome, and yup...sterile/blueish light. I need a Luxeon Rebel domelight.