P2D Q5 Battery Life---Or Death

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased a Fenix P2D Q5 around two weeks ago. Well acutally I purchased three and gave one to my brother and one to my dad. Over the last two weeks I had changed my battery 5 times. My brother and Dad still on their same battery. Naturally I thought there was something wrong with my light. So today I ran a test. I placed two new batteries (ultralife 1400 mah ) in my light and my brothers. I turned them both on turbo, stood them both up in candle mode and placed a small fan on them to keep them cool. The P2D is listed as 180 lumens in Turbo mode for one hour. After 25 minutes my light had reduced itself to the medium mode and would not go into high or turbo. My brothers light was the same way after 30 minutes. I'm not sure how long they would continue bacause we stopped the test. So you get 180 lumens for 30 minutes then even if you get the remaining 55 lumens for 30 minutes I am still kind of disapointed in this kind of battery life. I really like this light. I will be happy if or when LED's become more effecient. This kind of efficiency seems no better than my G2 with a regular bulb.

Thought everyone might be interested in my little test. I now wish I would have continued unitil the light went dead.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Mr.Urahara reloaded

Newly Enlightened
ultralife 1400 mah?

No wonder you get bad runtimes.
Go and get yourself some better batteries like Surefires, panasonics, Energizer, BatteryStation or Pelican but keep away from those cheap chinese brands!

MfG Mr.Urahara

daveman

Enlightened
I guess your P2D would be defective since your brother's obviously out performed your in a side-by-side comparison. Ask for an exchange from your dealer.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
ultralife 1400 mah?

No wonder you get bad runtimes.
Go and get yourself some better batteries like Surefires, panasonics, Energizer, BatteryStation or Pelican but keep away from those cheap chinese brands!

MfG Mr.Urahara

The batteries say made in the USA on them and I did buy them from Battery Station.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may get better results with a better battery- may I also suggest the Panasonic's from Battery Junction. They end up costing about $1.70 with shipping. They are top quality.

However....these high power lights- take a lot of power to produce 180 lumens...may I suggest you do a test in the high mode- as being realistic for what to expect.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may get better results with a better battery- may I also suggest the Panasonic's from Battery Junction. They end up costing about $1.70 with shipping. They are top quality.

However....these high power lights- take a lot of power to produce 180 lumens...may I suggest you do a test in the high mode- as being realistic for what to expect.

I think this is a good suggestion and I will try the test again in high mode.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultralife 1400mAh? Are those primaries or rechargable? You should try something like a Duracell or Energizer CR123 at least once just to test the run time. Then if you want to use no-name batteries you'll know the light is fine and that you're just experiencing short run times because you are using cheap batteries. Or you may find you get the same run time with the Duracell and you have a defective light.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultralife 1400mAh? Are those primaries or rechargable? You should try something like a Duracell or Energizer CR123 at least once just to test the run time. Then if you want to use no-name batteries you'll know the light is fine and that you're just experiencing short run times because you are using cheap batteries. Or you may find you get the same run time with the Duracell and you have a defective light.

This seems to be a reaccuring theme. If a battery to battery is 1400mah shouldn't I get 1400mah out of it. I am no battery expert but I thought the reason for listing the mah is so you can correctly figure out the duaration or life of the battery under load. It sounds like you cannot depend on these figures and that one must test every new manufacturers battery to find out yourself what the mah is. Or am I misinterpreting?

Delta

Enlightened
The Chinese may tell you what you want to hear, not necessarily what is true.

What do you mean? They've always been up front with say, lumens ratings so why would they lie?