How to get more light from SF G2 LED?

bollingerRD

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. I'm new to CPF. Got turned on to it by a co-worker. I just bought a Surefire G2 LED today and am already wondering about how to get more light out of it. Are there brighter LEDs available or any drop-in mods anyone has developed?

I'm new to the whole high-end flashlight thing and already thinking about modding. TIA.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2 LED already uses one of the top of the line LEDs, Seoul, but they drive it low for good runtime. If you are going to get a drop in, you may want to return the G2L for the incadescent version to save money unless you want the choice of runtime or brightness.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The main problem with running a High Power LED in a Polymer is heat. The LED will burn itself out if there wasn't a sensor(which the P60L has) to keep the heat level in check. It would be a better choice to return the light for a 6P if you want output since the metal body will take the heat much better then a polymer body.

Look at the runtime charts, the G2L drops in output within the first 15 minutes so the LED would not overheat while the 6PL stays pretty flat.

:welcome:

bollingerRD

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I debated between the G2 and 6P, but got the G2 because it was available at a local store. I will probably get another SF light in the future if I can't get the brightness I crave with this current one.

roknrandy

Newly Enlightened
The main problem with running a High Power LED in a Polymer is heat. The LED will burn itself out if there wasn't a sensor(which the P60L has) to keep the heat level in check. It would be a better choice to return the light for a 6P if you want output since the metal body will take the heat much better then a polymer body.

Look at the runtime charts, the G2L drops in output within the first 15 minutes so the LED would not overheat while the 6PL stays pretty flat.

:welcome:
The G2L I just got from Lowes has an aluminum head, doesnt this fix the heat problem?

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the G2, and with the seoul drop in- it's a great light. How often do you use a light for 1 hour straight? THe main problem with the G2 drop in's is that some don't fit quite right, and you have to cut spring loops, or modify the drop in to get it to make contact on the neg. Mine has a small gap, but the light is so good I don't care.