Rechargeable Battery Questions

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard from some people that there are certain Li-ion batteries that drop their output to 3.0 v within 12 ms of activation, and others that do not and are around 3.7-4.2V fully charged.

I've also heard about protected and non-protected, the latter of which can explode under circumstances I'm not quite sure of...

Are the "protected" ones the ones that automatically drop their voltage to 3.0V, or are these completely different things? I take it only 3.0V Li-ion rechargeables are the only rechargeables able to be used in the Fenix P3D.

Also, a quick question about low self-discharge Ni-Mh rechargeable AAs - I have heard that there are only a few brands, and the only brand I've heard named is the Eneloop. What are the other brands? Which is the "best"? And, most importantly and most simply, are they the same as all other AA Ni-Mh batteries in all other factors?

I realize this isn't about LED flashlights, but as far as I know there isn't a forum about batteries, so I decided to post here because the goal of this is to buy a LED Fenix flashlight. If there is a forum better suited for my needs, please direct me to it.

Last edited: