Votes: 16 20.5%
  • SureFire G2L

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Other - Please Post Below

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters

tkoden

Newly Enlightened
After posting up my other thread I think I have narrowed it down to 3 lights. Basically I am looking for a small light that preferably runs off of AA or AAA batteries in the $50-$60 range. I am looking at the L2D-CE, NiteCore Defender Infinity, and the SureFire G2L (primarily because I have heard good things about surefire lights). So, which would you choose?

Last edited:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
no experience with the nightcore light, but own the other two lights you're considering.

if you only need a bright light output, the SF is a good choice, simply b/c it's an SF light and ALL that entails. however, it runs off of CR123A, and not your preferred AA/AAA form factor.

however, if you require multiple lighting levels, including a dimmer light with longer burntime, then the Fenix fits the bill. plus, it is powered by 2xAA cells.

given your requirements (and, again, my advice intentionally ignores the nightcore since i have ZERO knowledge or experience with it), the Fenix is the best and closest match vs. the SF G2L.

hope this info helps.

tkoden

Newly Enlightened
no experience with the nightcore light, but own the other two lights you're considering.

if you only need a bright light output, the SF is a good choice, simply b/c it's an SF light and ALL that entails. however, it runs off of CR123A, and not your preferred AA/AAA form factor.

however, if you require multiple lighting levels, including a dimmer light with longer burntime, then the Fenix fits the bill. plus, it is powered by 2xAA cells.

given your requirements (and, again, my advice intentionally ignores the nightcore since i have ZERO knowledge or experience with it), the Fenix is the best and closest match vs. the SF G2L.

hope this info helps.

I realize the NiteCore light has not been released but based on what you guys have heard about the light from the reviewers on this site.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto on the nightcore; a risk, but it seems to be very good as per 3 reviews.

The Fenix is good too, probably your best bet for a newbie light, not so great for a professional work light.

The Surefire is fine, but is not a good wow light. It suits the task as an emergency light or work light.

LightJaguar

Enlightened
The Fenix L2D-CE is a very good light. I have bought about four of them, one for my GF, one for my Mom and two for myself. I'm very pleased with them. The Nitecore sounds like a very promising light but I won't be able to know until I get it.
The SF G2 is fine I guess. I saw them being sold at Lowes for around $60 or $80 don't quite remember. For that price I would rather get another Fenix L2D-CE. My buddy has one sitting around his house somewhere. He quit using it after I gave him a Dexlight X1.

Last edited:

djblank87

Enlightened
SF G2L gets my vote is were putting the the AAA/AA issue aside. If were keeping with the AAA/AA batteries go for the Fenix.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure-fire...hands down...It's probably not fair, never having owned a Fenix or a night-core...both which are good flashlights...and will probably last 6-7 years...in your flashlight collections, or being carried in your jacket...but I have yet to hear many incredible survival stories of these two lights...the Sure-fire, with it's excellent quailty, will probably last 10-15 years...in your flashlight collection, in your coatpocket, a caving expedition, or a warzone. I have 5 Surefire's (3 ea. G-2's, 1ea. 6-P, and a 918FA), and the companies products have too many good testimonies going for it...I know my SF's have plenty of stories to add as well!!!

Last edited:

Gaffle

Enlightened
I think I want a Nitecore. The output on a small 14500 is just crazy. The runtime looks real good too!

I likey...:drool:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'll wait until the REAL reviews of Nitecore appears, in the meantime i'll stick with L2D or T1 in my wish list.

tkoden

Newly Enlightened
I think I have decided to go with the Fenix 4 in 1 pack combo that comes with the P2D / L1D Q5 bodies so I can play with both the the battery types and see which I like more. Thanks for all the help this forum rocks. Now to decide which headlamp to get for my father.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I have decided to go with the Fenix 4 in 1 pack combo that comes with the P2D / L1D Q5 bodies so I can play with both the the battery types and see which I like more. Thanks for all the help this forum rocks. Now to decide which headlamp to get for my father.

very good choice. variety and flexibility can be nice.

headlamp advice: (i have over 50 of 'em) have mostly switched over to my Fenix-"headlamp". huh??? Fenix+JakStrap for hands-free use, or Fenix+clip-off-of-a-MiniMag-or-the-clip-from-the-$4.95-MiniMag-Accessory-Kit

smaller, lighter (important for an ultralight backpacking like i used to do) than most headlamp choices; decent burntime on low output; better throw with ample enough spill at greater distances.

what use/applications is the headlamp intended for? knowing this, would be helpful to give better advice. why not start a new Thread or PM me (i'm afraid that i might miss the new Thread if i don't get back to the Forums later today).

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the headlight thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/181100.

Now I just have to wait till December 25 to open the flashlight.

stand by my suggestion = a Fenix headlamp, i.e Fenix+Jakstrap. Why?

1. it meets your price requirement (or close enough, depending upon model).

2. has the throw necessary for some of his applications.

3. while NOT a flood light, it does have sufficient field of view to perform repairs on low o.p. modes. i've used them for under-car "shade-tree" mechanic repairs, kitchen and laundry room appliance repairs, plus electronics fabrication.

Fargus

Newly Enlightened
Both Fenix L2D and Nitecore. It is to difficult to say No to one of these.

I'm curious as to how you can recommend Nitecore so highly at this point in time? As far as I can tell, no one has a production model in their hands as yet. The company has no past to reference, in spite of claims of six years experience. While the Defender may wind up being a good light and Nitecore may wind up being a worthy manufacturer, isn't it better to hold off on glowing recommendations until the company actually has placed at least _one_ production model into someone's hands?