CR123a use in flashlights, current draws

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering where tenergy 123a batteries are made, so I googled them, but that's besides the point for now.

I noticed that the factory rated maximum continuous discharge current is only 500ma, while pulse up to 1500. I haven't looked at other brand's factory spec sheet, but I bet they are more or less the same.

I'm guessing you can see the problem now, many high powered flashlights are being driven at way over 500ma. Take most fenix on turbo mode, driven at more or less twice the rated maximum continuous discharge current. I see people worry about heat sinking for LED when driven hard, but very few concerns about if the battery is up to the task of delivering that much current. I don't know what would happen but going over twice the max rating can't be good.

So even thou I know the heat sinking in my P3D is adequate for turbo, I'm still gona use it sparingly, knowing it's pushing the limit of the battery.

P.S. an interesting point, I hear people say how lithium D cell are made for long life low current situation, but apparently there are two types of lithium D cell. One has huge capacity (19000 mah), and only 200ma continous draw. Another one has less capacity (16500 mah), but rated at 2000ma continous, and 3000ma peak.

You can see all the numbers here: http://www.tenergybattery.com/index...ategory_id=13&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=27

mdocod

Flashaholic
that 16AH cell you speak of.... I met a guy into caving who was using that type of cell in a custom headlamp. He would buy one, solder it into the rear compartment. Runtime on a ~1W LED was something close to 50 hours. Since most of his caving was shorter adventures (4-8 hours) it would last quite a few trips.