Being a good neighbor

Wmpy

Newly Enlightened
I just showed my neighbor my new SF 6PD the other night. We are all impressed! :thumbsup: He said it would be great to have one like that for his boat. He took my wife and I out on the river on his 35' cabin cruiser. I would like to give him a light for Christmas. I would like to stay below $35 if I could. Single mode with a long through. I'm going to look at Lowes for the new cree led light I have heard everyone raving about. Uses C batteries. I would like to stay with regular batteries but may have to go with 123's. Do any of the AA lites really have output as good as the 6P? :confused:

IcantC

Enlightened
I just showed my neighbor my new SF 6PD the other night. We are all impressed! :thumbsup: He said it would be great to have one like that for his boat. He took my wife and I out on the river on his 35' cabin cruiser. I would like to give him a light for Christmas. I would like to stay below $35 if I could. Single mode with a long through. I'm going to look at Lowes for the new cree led light I have heard everyone raving about. Uses C batteries. I would like to stay with regular batteries but may have to go with 123's. Do any of the AA lites really have output as good as the 6P? :confused:

You are referring to the Task Force 2C battery? Everyone seems to love it. I have the RayoVac 3C light and I liked it, great throw but very little spill

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do any of the AA lites really have output as good as the 6P? :confused:

Fenix L2D Q5 should have even more output than the Surefire 6P. IIRC the output is around 140-150 lumens out the front for L2D (180 emitter lumens stated).

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't beat the D-mini for throw in a 1 mode single CR123 light, ~ 8000 lux at 1m. A tough well built light, I highly recommend it. Only problem it's $44.95: http://www.batteryjunction.com/d-mini.html. Matt at Battery Junction was running a special(I think it included the all in one kit), E-mail or PM him to see if you can still get it.

Last edited:

SAVAGESAM

Newly Enlightened
I vote for a SF G-2 or G-3. More than what you quote, but I hear the 123's have a ten year shelf life, where all my AAA's leak into the flashlight. A regular G-2 can be had for less than $40.00. Lowes sells the G-2 LED for $65.00. HTH

Brody

Newly Enlightened
For that price, I would go with the Ray o Vac Sportsman Extreme 4W 3C light. It does put out quite a bit of light for the price, and C cells are usually very easy to find. As mentioned before, it doesn't have a lot of spill, but it does have a fair amount of throw. Because it does use C cells, it will last longer than the AA lights at the same brightness (most AA lights are not as bright).

Snow

Enlightened
I like the idea of one of the 3C Cree monsters - either the Rayovac or the Task Force. The bigger size won't be an issue on a boat. In fact it might be a plus, making the light easier to find. Additionally, they both are very bright, have excellent throw, and will have long runtime. Not to mention they are very affordable. They will make great introductory lights to get him down the flashaholic road.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I like both the LM31 and LM33 for lights in the $30 to $35 range.
For about $23 at Target I like the River Rock 1AA 1W Luxeon.
For just under $40 with a pre-arranged CPF account at Pacific Tactical, the regular versions of the Olight T10 or T15 are great.

Calina

Enlightened
Have you considered the VB-16 HA-III Q5 Cree 16-Mode Flashlight (1x18650/2xCR123A) - for $29.55 it seems like a sure hit, as long as your neighbour as access to cheap batteries. See it here.

mrmike

Newly Enlightened
Another +1 for the Lumapower LM31. It just might be my favorite all around light (especially for the price).

:grin2:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Lux might be good. Easy to find yellow color, AA batteries, very tough and waterproof, made in USA with full warranty. Under $30. Very good throw with good spill, nice tint.

Schuey2002

Enlightened
+1 on the SL Luxeon! :thumbsup:

After reading a number of these threads, I just couldn't take it any longer, and decided to go ahead and order a LM31. I hope it's as good as everyone (and their dog!) is saying that it is... :grin2: