55cd Jeleds - something ain't right

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got these in the mail.
I hooked a few up to my lab power supply, and the results are rather underwhelming.

Here's a beamshot comparison of a Jeled (right) and my QCG AAA flashlight (left). Based on my findings the QCG light drives the LED at about 35ma, so that's what I set my power supply to.

The Jeled is whiter, and maybe a bit brighter, but I was expecting a lot more difference.

Additionally, there's this sticker on the bag:

The number "55000" is nowhere to be seen, and what does that Iv of 18000 mean?
I think they might have sent me the wrong LEDs.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
You must have received the wrong LED's.

I bought their 55,000mcd LED's and they are considerably brighter than the 40,000mcd that I bought a year earlier. The only downside is the splotchy blue and yellow beam.

I used them in a 9 LED light, and the results are very noticeable over the stock version. I also upgraded a cheap Arc AAA clone with similar results.

Edit: 40kmcd, not 20k mcd

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Yes wrong ones, now send them back! I hope you get the right ones soon. Give us pics when you fix up the new shop light.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wrote them, and linked this thread in the email, and this is their reply:

Thanks for your email,The attachment is the LEDs data sheet for your reference,This LEDs is our hot sale item with reception a greatly appreciated in the market.
Please let me know if you have questons.
What the hell does this mean? Are they trying to say they shipped the correct LEDs? The email has no attachment, by the way.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
They can't get their shipments right, and they can't get their emails right.
Swell.

This is not an answer to what I wrote about.
I did not ask for data sheets.
I have been sent the wrong LEDs and need to know what the procedure is for you to send me the correct ones.

Let's hope they have their brains on this time...

Quite disappointed thus far.

lebox97

Enlightened
call Hong Kong eh?
sure - the call will cost more than the LEDs once you get through translation/language issue.

mine were pretty crappy - blue yellow splotchy as well.

I told them I thought they had sent the wrong LED due to the good references made about the LED - :thinking:
they sent me the file which just had a bunch of specs on it... I tried to explain the output is UGLY-NASTY unusable for what I wanted to use them for!
am returning mine and will willingly pay a bit more for the Nichia DS's

Yeah, or they are jerking you around! I would call this time to see if that helps.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Except DS leds are apparently nowhere to be found. Not at human prices, anyway.
I'll be nagging jeledhk for as long as it takes them to get the message through their thick skulls.

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
Yes it looks like you received the wrong LEDs. My JELED bag, which I still have, lists 55,000 in place of the 18,000 on your bag. Otherwise the bags look the same. Good luck and let us know how it goes, sorry to hear that you ran into this problem as I know you had been waiting to get some brighter LEDs from previous threads.

lebox97, yes they are splotchy blue and yellow, although in most practical uses it's hardly even noticeable, mostly just a 'white wall' issue. Having said that, whenever I have spoken about these LEDs or recommended them I always mention the characteristics of the beam for those that require a really white, even beam.

P.S. - In regards to the original response from Jeled, where they mention the attachment, I suspect that they're talking about your attached image of the packaging. I think it's pretty obvious that there are some language barriers from their response and that they may not even fully understand what your complaint is. In the simplest terms, I would try to explain to them that you ordered 55k LEDs and received 18k LEDs, that should hopefully get them to understand the issue.

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a side note, it is interesting that these 18k leds are rather brighter than the 20k leds I got some time ago on eBay from another seller...

I'll wait till tomorrow for an answer to the second email, then if there are still communication problems I'll try with the "Me-Tarzan-you-Jane" basic approach.

What bad luck though, I was waiting to play around with the jeleds... what they'd have to do if they were completely honest would be to ship the correct emitters via EMS and pay EMS shipping themselves, since the mistake was theirs and I shouldn't have to suffer from it. Somehow I don't think they will. *sigh*
Let's hope they at least send the right emitters without first waiting for the wrong ones to get back to them, or I'm looking at about two more months before I get them :mecry:
A quarter of a year to play with some leds :shakehead

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a side note, it is interesting that these 18k leds are rather brighter than the 20k leds I got some time ago on eBay from another seller...

I'll wait till tomorrow for an answer to the second email, then if there are still communication problems I'll try with the "Me-Tarzan-you-Jane" basic approach.

Probably easier to just find someone to write in chinese for you.

gunga

Flashaholic
If you don't mind losing some throw, try lightly sanding/frosting the jleds. (I use a brillo pad).

I have one on my fauxton, and giving it a light frosting makes for a more diffuse broad beam and gets rid of the splotchiness. It's soft plastic so be gentle!

lebox97

Enlightened
no confusion here...
jeled sent me an MS Excel XLS file with the specs and info of the 55K LED.s

the quality I received is noticeable and useless for any application... :shakehead
the clone photons you can get for cheap are way brighter and whiter LED and better beam patterns than the 55K LEDs I received
(FYI I ran a GB for 1,000 Snow LEDS a couple years ago)

PS: the DS's are available - just have to know where and how to get them.
:sssh:

Yes it looks like you received the wrong LEDs. My JELED bag, which I still have, lists 55,000 in place of the 18,000 on your bag. Otherwise the bags look the same. Good luck and let us know how it goes, sorry to hear that you ran into this problem as I know you had been waiting to get some brighter LEDs from previous threads.

lebox97, yes they are splotchy blue and yellow, although in most practical uses it's hardly even noticeable, mostly just a 'white wall' issue. Having said that, whenever I have spoken about these LEDs or recommended them I always mention the characteristics of the beam for those that require a really white, even beam.

P.S. - In regards to the original response from Jeled, where they mention the attachment, I suspect that they're talking about your attached image of the packaging. I think it's pretty obvious that there are some language barriers from their response and that they may not even fully understand what your complaint is. In the simplest terms, I would try to explain to them that you ordered 55k LEDs and received 18k LEDs, that should hopefully get them to understand the issue.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
PS: the DS's are available - just have to know where and how to get them.
Do you tell us now, or do we have to come there with pitchforks? :p

Edit: received an answer.
"Ok,PLease return the wrong items ,We will pay the shipping fee,Once you send us the return items,We will send you again the LEDs."

Of note that he says "once you SEND the items", not "once we RECEIVE the items". Hopefully sending them and giving them the tracking number will be enough.

Last edited:

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
the quality I received is noticeable and useless for any application... :shakehead
:sssh:

Useless for any application, I have my doubts about that. When I received mine and shined them on a white wall, I was pretty disappointed. But in practical use the beam colors are not that much of a distraction, in many cases hard to even notice. It would be nicer if they were a pure white beam certainly, but for some uses I'm fine with sacrificing beam quality for maximum output. I have some pure white 5mm LEDs that look great in comparison shined at close range on a white wall, but in actual use they don't have near the output.

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
Fallingwater, too bad you don't live in the U.S., I would have just sent you a few to try out. I was going to offer to do the same last time you had a thread about 5mm LEDs until I saw that you list being in Italy, and I'm guessing that shipping would be quite steep (maybe I'm wrong though).