L1 CREE battery/charger combo options

CharlieHo

Newly Enlightened
Throwing this question out there for those who probably know this answer better than they know their own names:rolleyes:

If I had, or were to purchase a new SureFire L1 CREE, and were looking into re-chargeable batteries for it; which of the following two choices would be the best route to go:

3.0V 900 mAh Rechargeable Li-Ion Batteries with charger http://www.batteryjunction.com/4parc390reli.html

or

3.0V 750 mAh Rechargeable LiFePOf Li-Ion Batteries with charger http://www.batteryjunction.com/2rc375reliba.html

In my mind, the 900mAh batts would provide a touch higher discharge rate (brighter), but in the long run, the improved 750mAh versions would not only last longer per charge, but be re-charged more times as well....

Help a dummy out, please :eek: Or even provide a better option :grin2:

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Charlie!

I see that you are new here! Welcome to CPF!

Is there a reason that you must use rechargeable batteries? At $1.00 a pop, primary (non-rechargeable) CR123A batteries are relatively inexpensive. Will you use the light enough to break even on your rechargeable battery setup or will primaries be better?

I am not sure that I can fully answer your question.

The capacity of batteries are usually measured milliamps or milliamp hours (mAh or mA). So if you were to put two batteries in (for example) the L1, the one with the higher capacity (mA) number would last longer.

I don't think that either of them would be brighter.

Primary batteries typically hold about 1300-1600 mA, compared to the 750-900 mA in these so-called 'R123' (rechargeable CR123A sized) batteries. They are also called RCR123 or RCR123A when they are rechargeable.

The other consideration is that the L1 may not fit the rechargeable battery in question, or that the voltage of the rechargeable cell may damage the L1. On these two issues I can't help you.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
mAh (milli-amp hours) are used as a measure of capacity for a battery. There is a huge amount of information to read up on here. Either battery will work. Neither will be brighter. The 900mAh ones will run the light longer. But I don't have any actual testing data from either battery to support this. It is all manufacturer claims. I personally doubt the capacity of both batteries being what they claim. But again, they will work. I have some of the 900mAh 3.0v cells. Not great, but not bad either.
The LiFe Po4 batteries are a "safer" chemistry. Mis used and abused LiIOn rechargeables like to vent with flames so go read up in the Flashlight Electronics section before buying.

Zenster

Enlightened
CharlieHo, if I were you, I'd give up on the idea of rechargeables for the L1.
Surefire has almost gone out of their way to avoid using any really "good" rechargeables in (most) of their lights.

But here's the thing; with only a couple of posts under your belt, you may be new to this crazy "hobby", so there's something you want to consider.
And that is, there are a LOT of lights out there that not only work with rechargeable batteries, but are optimised best with rechargeables for longer runtimes and performance.

So what you do, like a true flashaholic, is to get the L1 anyway and plan on using it with only CR123 batteries. It's a GREAT light with that battery, and no rechargeable battery that might fit that light will give you as good performance as with a CR123.

But, and here's the big BUT, you then go out and buy one of the other lights with similar features and performance that ARE optimised for rechargeable batteries.
That way, you can use the rechargeable light more often on a daily basis, but have the L1 for less frequent use, and more to the point, for emergency use for when you've lost house power and can't recharge your other batteries.

There are others, but for a light in which you want to use mostly rechargeables and with good or better performance than the L1, take a look at: either a Deree CL1H http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=170818 or the Lumapower MR (with an EXCEPTIONAL runtime on an 18650)
http://www.batteryjunction.com/lumahunterm1.html

But go ahead and order that L1 at the same time as one of the above and you'll have the best of both worlds.

CharlieHo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all three of you for your answers.

You guys are probably right, and I really do not have a need for rechargeables... I was just thinking that may be a worthwhile addition.

I have been reading up on the new battery types, (Ni-cads were the best thing I used back in my R/C days :rolleyes:) and I must have crossed some mental wires somewhere as I thought the lower mAh rating meant slower discharge rate :oops:

I've been admiring SureFire lights for some time, and this being my first experience with a "good" flashlight, and just recently stumbled across this site. I can see how one would go broke quickly around here :ohgeez: Unfortunately for me, most of my disposable income ends up going into my firearm and ammo collection :thumbsup: (Maybe that's not so unfortunate :naughty:)

Anyway, I'm finished rambling, I'm reading up on MagLite modifications now. And boy is there a lot to read :eek:

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Spence

Enlightened
Charlie, welcome. The L1 CREE was my third SF after the 6P and 9P, and my first SF LED. I have a collection of all kinds of other lights, but now that I own 10 SF's, they are all I'm interested in now, I just really appreciate their outstanding quality. Get the L1, it only uses one CR123 and they last for a good while in it. The L1 CREE is an outstanding flashlight, has a good feel in your hand, has two very useful levels of light, and is much, much brighter than advertised. Its' size and incredible performance make it my ideal every day carry light, and I would never be without it. It will be the best money you ever spent on a flashlight and safely using primaries in it are, realistically, a modest cost of the enjoyment and pride you'll have in owning and using it. I would suggest that you buy the SF #F04 beam diffuser filter for it ($12) and it takes that tightly focused beam and spreads it out, making it more versatile. It just slips on and off the bezel and is the best accessory you can buy for the L1. The F04 also fits all the other !" bezel SF lights you'll be eventually buying, too, after the SF bug has bitten you.
Good luck, buddy, and have fun like I am.
Spence
:twothumbs:welcome::grin2:
wink2.gif

CharlieHo

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest that you buy the SF #F04 beam diffuser filter for it ($12) and it takes that tightly focused beam and spreads it out, making it more versatile.

Thanks, I'll definitely look into that :thumbsup:

I've created a somewhat impressive shopping list at one of this forum's vendors, I've just held off pulling the trigger until everything is in stock and can ship all at once

LedZep

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone -
I am considering the L1 also. One question - with the beam diffuser, would the output be comparable to other single 123 lights (p2d, T10, etc.)? Also, any idea what led the L1 uses? (I guess that's 2 questions!)

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using rechrgeables in flashlights to me is the main concern in getting that light. I am not really prepared to keep stock primaries as they do cost more compared to primaries and will definitely be cheaper in the long run. At least with rechargeable I do not have to skimp on runtime and thus would enjoy more whilst using them..Guilt free lumens.

As for the L1 cree, I have owned an L1 Lux before and I do quite like the output it gives out. However, I sold it off as I tried to use rechargeables but the circuit emits an audible hum whilst doing so. I have also bought an L1 cree from a fellow cpfer and should arrive sometime next week. I intend to use rechargeables 3.7v rather than the 3.0v versions and from the reports in the forums, some have good results from using them. We will see how it goes.....

LedZep,

A diffuser actually disperse the beam into a wider area. One using this attachment will result in a lower brightness but get a better, even and 'cleaner' pattern. Very usefull if one plan to use the light at close quarters works.
L1 uses the cree P4 led..

Last edited:

Bort

Newly Enlightened
I have been using the Tenergy 900Mah 3.0 cells in the L1 cree for the last two months, and they work just like primary cells, with about one half of the runtime. I have also used AW protected 3.7 volt cells with limited use. At this point, the rechargeable cells work nicely for me, but I monitor them with a voltmeter frequently, and don't abuse the cells.

LedZep

Newly Enlightened
jumpstat - thanks for the reply - diffuser sounds good. Do you think Surefire will ever upgrade the led to a later bin?

Bort - awesome traction in your avatar! I am also interested in using 3v Tenergy's or 3v LiFePO4 Tenergy's like CharlieHo. The question is, do the LiFePO batteries fit the inside the L1 body? Thanks, any help appreciated!