LOD Q4 - Arrived 12/24/07

FlashlightPhreak

Enlightened
My Fenix LOD Q4 arrived today just in time for Xmas, only took four days from FenixStore ! Seems a bit brighter than my LOD RB80 Rebel and my Tiablo A1. The color of the body on mine is a copper color, not red at all. I kind of like the color, it's different for sure!

Question: Will it be any brighter when my eneloop AAA batts arrive ??? Ordered two-pack of eneloop AAA's from Battery Bob.

Wishing everyone Happy Holidays and a Wonderful and Heathly New Year!

Last edited:

bourget117

Newly Enlightened
My Fenix LOD Q4 arrived today just in time for Xmas, only took four days from FenixStore ! Seems a bit brighter than my LOD RB80 Rebel and my Tiablo A1. The color of the body on mine is a copper color, not red at all. I kind of like the color, it's different for sure!

Question: Will it be any brighter when my eneloop AAA batts arrive ??? Ordered two-pack of eneloop AAA's from Battery Bob.

Wishing everyone Happy Holidays and a Wonderful and Heathly New Year!

I don't know about the eneloops, but I just received two lod q4s the other day(one for me and the other for the gf) and just switched out the alkalines for lithiums. Much brighter! I can lite up a room at the other end of my house with these.

EntropyQ3

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about the eneloops, but I just received two lod q4s the other day(one for me and the other for the gf) and just switched out the alkalines for lithiums. Much brighter! I can lite up a room at the other end of my house with these.

Do you find the two equally bright? My two samples differed substantially both by visual examination, and impromptu light-box testing.

bourget117

Newly Enlightened
Do you find the two equally bright? My two samples differed substantially both by visual examination, and impromptu light-box testing.

I did actually compare both of them just before I wrapped up one and gave it to my girlfriend. The light output and beam patterns on a wall seemed identical to me. But the red/copper coloring was slightly different between the two were off.

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened

I purchased two Q4's also. The first one is a nice red finish, with a slightly rose tinted beam. The second is copper-orange, with a pure white beam, slightly brighter than the first one.

I also have a Tiablo A1. The Q4 destroys it, no contest.

GBone

Newly Enlightened
Don't know about the batteries, but I use lithiums...

I ordered two as well, both have same beam pattern and color, outside finish are both copper-orange... Love these things! :grin2:

sabre7

Enlightened
Enjoy! Enjoy! Got my L0D Q4 a couple weeks ago. My neighbors must wonder what the h#@* I'm searching for in the trees every night!!

da.gee

Enlightened
That's funny. I was shining my LOD Q4 out the backyard last night showing my Dad. He was so impressed I just had to give it to him right then and there. Damn, need a new keychain light.

My neighbors must also wonder what the heck I'm always looking at in the backyard.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
same, i got the copper orange one with cheesy holiday symbols. i do like it though, so im grabbing the black version on ebay... hopefully its almost the same? the first 2 modes are listed as lower, but still 75 for the max

FlashlightPhreak

Enlightened
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHEHEHEHEHEHE, Ditto me too on searching the trees at night. I actually had a police car stop one night to see what was going on. The cop was impressed when he saw the led assortment I was "testing". He couldn't believe how small the leds were, as he figured a much larger light was in play. BTW My fenix p1d q5 equipped with protected 3.7 v rechargable outshined his multi-cell massive-sized magnight bigtime. (However, the maglight does double as an undercover billy club).

BTW - My LOD Q4 also out throws the A1 easily... Tonight, I was out visiting a friend who lives in the boonies. Damn that LOD Q4 can throw a awesome distance for such a little dude !!!!

I assume the much varied color shades ranging from red to copper are results of Fenix still learning the ropes of anodization !!!???

Last edited:

daveman

Enlightened
I assume the much varied color shades ranging from red to copper are results of Fenix still learning the ropes of anodization !!!???
I think as much, which leads me to suspect we'll be seeing some very interesting and exclusive colors from Fenix in the future. The silver they offered on some earlier P1Ds, for example.

ymfymf

Newly Enlightened
I very much wish Fenix can try different colors as well -- blue, green, red, purple. But no pink. It would be fun.

JCup

Newly Enlightened
I've had mine about a week, and sent two as gifts. I also got my Fenix L2D CE Q5 special edition at the same time (sent two of those as well).

To answer your question, no difference in brightness between fresh alkaline AAA and recharged Eneloop in the L0D. Much better runtime with the NiMH, though - several threads with data and plots out there.

This L0D is amazing, big flashlight performance in a tiny, beautifully made package. And the L2D puts out more light than my SF P9!

I had not known anything about these 3W high performance LED's until reading about them here a few weeks ago - had thought Luxeons running on CR123 batteries was the state of the art.

Happy and brighter new year to you all.:thumbsup:

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
Same here. Two of the three was a bit purpleish and had a small dead spot in the hotspot. A bit uneven. The other one was nice and even; yellowish/white.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
I purchased two Q4's also. The first one is a nice red finish, with a slightly rose tinted beam. The second is copper-orange, with a pure white beam, slightly brighter than the first one.

I also have a Tiablo A1. The Q4 destroys it, no contest.

So are you saying that the Q4 on alkaline destroys the Tiablo A1 on alkaline? Or are you saying that the Q4 on NiMH or Lithium destroys the A1 on Alkaline? Cause I'm pretty sure the A1 can only use alkaline, which is what I will be using, and I want to know which light will be better on alkaline.

sabre7

Enlightened
Tiablo a1 RB100 is advertised as 110 lumens, so it should be almost 32% brighter than L0D Q4 @ 75 lumens. Tiablo is rated to take up to 2.7v so it should handle NiMh, lithiums or alkalines no prob. :twothumbs

Last edited:

FlashlightPhreak

Enlightened
My Tiablo A1 on e2 lithium energizers is not as bright as my new LOD Q4 on e2 energizers...

I do not have a light meter, but in a dark section of trees at night, it is easy to see the q4 beam as brighter and a longer throw. Q4 now my edc keychain light.

Several folks, including a cop, have commented on just how bright the q4 is..

PS - my q4 beam is centered and a nice cool white with no blue tint... NO dark spots in beam and color is a copper-orange which has kind of grown on me...