Dereelight DBS usable when not spotlighting?

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking to get a Dereelight DBS 2SD as a new light. I want a thrower. My question is how usable is it aside from a thrower. Can you use it on low and go for a walk or is it way too much of a spotlight? How bright and wide is the sidespill? I've seen reviews with beam shots, but they're always comparing it to other throwers from 100' away. How does it compare at short range (say 6') on low to something like a L2D-CE on medium?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2D-CE (or any floody light) will be nicer to walk with. My experience with throwers is that they're a little difficult to use at short distances, as the small spot feels like tunnel vision. The DBS' spill should be bright and fairly narrow, but because of the intensity of the spot, won't help you to see anything very much.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2D-CE (or any floody light) will be nicer to walk with. My experience with throwers is that they're a little difficult to use at short distances, as the small spot feels like tunnel vision. The DBS' spill should be bright and fairly narrow, but because of the intensity of the spot, won't help you to see anything very much.
This is my concern. I can't see spending $125 for a light that's basically useless outside of a spotlight shining on stuff 100' away. I know I'm a failure as a flashaholic. :(

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
I have a DBS 2SM with OP reflector and the beam is nice and floody. I have a 3SD pill and a smooth reflector coming any day now. I think the DBS with the OP reflector used on LOW will be great for night walks.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a DBS 2SM with OP reflector and the beam is nice and floody. I have a 3SD pill and a smooth reflector coming any day now. I think the DBS with the OP reflector used on LOW will be great for night walks.
I'm interesting in the DBS for throw, so I don't have any intention of getting the OP reflector version. I'm also not interested in getting both because I don't want to have the wrong reflector installed in the flashlight every time I go to use it, so I don't see that as a viable option.

IcantC

Enlightened
This is my concern. I can't see spending $125 for a light that's basically useless outside of a spotlight shining on stuff 100' away. I know I'm a failure as a flashaholic. :(

You are looking at the wrong light. The DBS is thrower. IF you don't wanna swap OP reflector to walk this is not the light for you. Not to mention this is not a walking light... This is like buying a Ferrari for good MPG...

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are looking at the wrong light. The DBS is thrower. IF you don't wanna swap OP reflector to walk this is not the light for you. Not to mention this is not a walking light... This is like buying a Ferrari for good MPG...
I know the DBS is a thrower. I was just hoping it was useful for something beyond pure throw, but it doesn't sound like it is. I don't usually go walking with a light, so that was just a hypothetical example. :poke:

I still hope someone can deliver comparative beam shots from fairly close range with a Fenix L2D-CE. :whistle:

Zenster

Enlightened
I know the DBS is a thrower. I was just hoping it was useful for something beyond pure throw, but it doesn't sound like it is. I don't usually go walking with a light, so that was just a hypothetical example. :poke:

I still hope someone can deliver comparative beam shots from fairly close range with a Fenix L2D-CE. :whistle:

I bought my DBS/2SD with both reflectors. I played with it using the SM reflector for a while first, and then switched it to the OP reflector.
In my opinion, the DBS is a MUCH better light with the OP reflector, and I doubt if I'll be going back to the SM reflector again.

Now to a comparison...
No pictures (I'm not using any hosting sites), but I think I can reasonably and accurately describe the difference between my DBS/2SD on high, and my L2D-CD/Q5 on high. (By the way, I did this just for you... so you owe me ;) )

At about 20 feet on a flat surface, the L2D's total beam (inc. spill) is about 25% wider than the DBs.
The brightness of the spill area all the way out to the edge of the DBS is significantly brighter than the L2D.
The bright center beam of both lights are virtually the same in width, but the L2D has no "hot spot" in the middle of the center beam while the DBS does (think of the L2D as having a "soft candy nougat" as a center beam while the DBS' center beam is a soft (but brighter) candy nougat with a chewy caramel in the middle ;) )
The DBS' center beam is clearly and obviously brighter overall than the center beam of the L2D.

Conclusions (personal):
1. The DBS is at it's best with the OP reflector. Period.
Screw this "throw" nonsense. When you go outside and actually use the DBS to SEE things, the OP reflector is far superior to the SM reflector.
But, yea, the DBS still "throws" quite well, even with the OP.
2. On "medium", the DBS compares very closely in overall brightness to the L2D on it's medium setting (as in; low, medium, high, turbo) except that the center spot of the DBS w/OP is still brighter and smaller than the L2D.
3. As far as "spotlight" is concerned, get a AE Xenide 25W if you want a spotlight :poke:.

Overall, the DBS w/OP is a very nice "walking light" and is a good compromise between a more floody light like the L2D and a more narrow-beamed light like any of the DBS class lights with SM reflectors (also includes MRV, Tiablo A9, etc.)
At the same time, the DBS w/OP will reach (throw) much further than the L2D if the dog runs away and you need to find him on the other side of the field.

That's my .02

Last edited:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
2. On "medium", the DBS compares very closely in overall brightness to the L2D on it's medium setting (as in; low, medium, high, turbo) except that the center spot of the DBS w/OP is still brighter and smaller than the L2D.
Now this I find a little hard to believe. On medium the DBS should be pushing 600mA through the LED at something like 120+ Lumen. On Medium the L2D-CE Q5 should be something like 53 Lumen (per Fenix). I would expect the DBS to be noticeably brighter.

Zenster

Enlightened
Now this I find a little hard to believe. On medium the DBS should be pushing 600mA through the LED at something like 120+ Lumen. On Medium the L2D-CE Q5 should be something like 53 Lumen (per Fenix). I would expect the DBS to be noticeably brighter.

I'm referring to visual appearance, not clinical lumens.
As I mentioned, the bright spot of the DBS in medium setting is significantly brighter than the bright center of the L2D at the medium setting.
So let me describe it another way; if I sort of squint and compare the output overall between the two, they both seem to put out similar useable brightness. However, the bright spot center of the DBS, as I said, is significantly brighter than the larger and softer center beam of the L2D.
So what's happening is that the DBS is putting most of it's lumen output into the center beam while the L2D is more evenly spread out. So what I'm referring to, visually, is that if I were to take a walk with either of those lights at night with either set to medium, they appear to offer about the same spill area lighting, but with the DBS putting out a brighter, narrower, center beam (which can actually be distracting in some cases).

Hope that helps, and also goes to show that the clinical lumens ratings are pretty iffy at best if you "stand" on them as comparison values because the size and design of the reflector has a LOT to do with the appearance of a beam. Sometimes, even more than a manufacturers claims of output.
I think I just realized the difficulty here in that you are attempting to compare two totally different lights that are in a different class from each other.
What you really need to do, as a true CPF'er, is to get both. You'll probably find that you pick one up for use in some situations but the other for other situations.

Last edited:

Zenster

Enlightened
I'm interesting in the DBS for throw, so I don't have any intention of getting the OP reflector version. I'm also not interested in getting both because I don't want to have the wrong reflector installed in the flashlight every time I go to use it, so I don't see that as a viable option.

You're being way to finicky about this. Changing out SM for OP reflector and vice-versa does change the beam "some", but it doesn't make the DBS into a different light.
The DBS is still a "thrower" with the OP, and I think is really the best way to use the DBS full time. The main difference is that you get a larger center beam which is hugely better at distances of 25 to 75 feet, typical distances for which most people use flashlights at night for.

As far as the reflectors themselves, it takes, like, maybe 30 seconds to screw off the bezel and swap out the reflector. But again, I don't think you'd ever change it out again once you used the OP reflector for the first time.

Xe54

Enlightened

I'll have both soon, and can comment on this at that time.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I just realized the difficulty here in that you are attempting to compare two totally different lights that are in a different class from each other.
I know they're two totally different lights. I compared them because I find my various L2D's (P4, Q5, & Rebel 100) to be incredibly handy and useful lights. When I need a light, they're my go to lights. But at the same time I find them lacking for distance throw outside. I'm trying to make sure the DBS will also be a handy & useful go to light for me that adds the distance throw the L2D's lack (perhaps becoming my de facto outside use light), not something that I buy that sits and collects dust, or sell a few days after I get it for a loss. :eek:
What you really need to do, as a true CPF'er, is to get both. You'll probably find that you pick one up for use in some situations but the other for other situations.
As I mentioned above I already have several L2D's. I worry that I will spend ~3x as much as the Fenix on a Dereelight DBS 2SD, batteries, and charger and it will get almost no use because it doesn't fit in with my current lights. :(

If it's really pretty much a throw only light, where will I use it? If I need something only for super throw I can grab either of my spotlights (10Mcp Thor-X 100W H4 or 35W Power on Board HID) and really throw some light. If I don't need something quite that extreme or I need smaller and lighter I can grab my 4D MagLED or my 3C ROV 4W Cree both of which throw better than my L2Ds. Please take into consideration that I've never spent the kind of money on a light needed to get a DBS, I don't have any 18650 cells or a charger, and I think you can understand my hesitation to plop down the cash for the whole setup. Ultimately, I'm not sure there's room in my flashlight stable for a DBS Hence this thread and the comparison of two very different flashlights. :candle:

cdosrun

Enlightened
Stereodude,

in response to your request I have just been out and photographed the DBS against some other lights that you might have for reference.

There is negligible natural light in these images so everything you see is from the torches listed.

All the torches were rested against the tripod at about the height I hold a torch when walking (arm by my side).

Firstly the DBS-2SD (smo)
DSC_3609-DBSsmo.jpg

The CL1H-3SD (smo)
DSC_3617-CL1Hsmo.jpg

The CL1H-3SD (mop)
DSC_3609-CL1Hmop.jpg

The Fenix L2D-CE (P4)
DSC_3613-L2.jpg

The Fenix P2D-CE(Q2)
DSC_3612-P2.jpg

The Fenix P1D-CE (I've upgraded this to a Q5 bin)
DSC_3611-P1.jpg

The Nitecore Defender Inifinty
DSC_3613-DI.jpg

The Novatac 120P
DSC_3622-Novatac.jpg

I took the MOP reflector to the muddy path with me but I couldn't get the pill out of the SMO to put it in I'm afraid; I had enough trouble getting the reflector out of the battery half of the housing because I had put some thermal transfer compound in there to keep it cool.

If you are sensitive to PWM flicker, I wouldn't bother with the 3SD module for the DBS, I find mine incredibly annoying, far more so than the whine from the 2SD module.

I hope this helps a little.

Oh, for those who are interested in photo details.

-Nikon D200
-ISO 100
-20 second exposure
-Manual white balance taken from the L2D against a white envelope.
-24-85mm AFS-G at F5

Andrew

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great shots cdosrun! I think for that creepy looking walking path I'd take the DBS with a smooth reflector or OP. :)

Personally I'd have a DBS with smooth reflector, and something like my P2D or P3D. The Fenix lights have a lot of spill and a large hot spot so they are nice for walking with, as they light up everything around you, and you can control the output so you don't toast your night vision. I find walking down dark sidewalks, paths, etc, that I do best with my P2D on low or medium.

However, that creepy path is pretty long so something like the DBS will let you see what's at the end of the path. :) I know I've been down some dark walking paths, that go through the woods, and my P3D on Turbo wouldn't let me see what was way down the path, but the DBS would have. That why I always go walking with multiple lights now. :)

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you look on the left side of each pic it almost looks like a few sets of red glowing eyes. :duck:

Those are some great shots! Thanks

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope this helps a little.
It definitely helps. Right now I'm wondering though if a Tiablo A8 Q5 with the OP reflector might be a better choice since it has wider spill than the DBS for more foreground illumination, but still far better throw than the L2D's. :thinking:

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should consider Regalight WT1. I think it is good compromise. It is nice small thrower (not super thrower like DBS, but much better than any Fenix). And with OP reflector it has nice smooth beam, you can even unscrew head slightly to make hotspot wider.