Basement Beam Shots! (Pic heavy)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if this is useful for anyone, just thought I'd try some beam shots in my messy basement (excuse my old messy basement). This was more to judge spill than anything else. It started by wanting to see how the new Malkoff M60 compared with some other lights, in terms of spill, but I ended up taking beam shots of many of my lights. :) I tried to have all the lights in the same position, but my hand moved slightly from shot to shot (mostly up and down), but that shouldn't have much of an effect on the spill, etc.

Here are some of the contenders, bottom step back row, Fenix P3D Rebel100, Fenix T1, Dereelight CL1H V1, SF G2 w/ Malkoff M60, Rayovac 3watt, Ultrafire C2 HA Q5 mod, Dereelight DBS, Raidfire, 2D Mag, 3D Mag, front row: Fenix P2D Q2, Tiablo A1, LOD-CE Q4 on my keychain, Zebralight HD-Q5, Nitecore Defender:

I through in some incans just to compare, left to right, SF E2e, Mag 6D, Ultrafire WF-500, Coleman 2MCP, Generic 10MCP (doesn't seem it though):

My basement isn't totally dark, I have a few fun LED night lights about, and there are some other glowing LED's from computer equipment, etc. I took all shots at ISO 100, f2.8, 1 second, WB set to daylight for LED's, and incan for the incan's. The hot spots are over exposed, but I wanted to show the spill in these tests. I hold the lights out in front of the camera over the same spot on my desk so you can see where the spill starts.

Here is a control shot, click on any picture for a hi-res version:

Fenix P3D Rebel100:

Fenix T1:

Dereelight CL1H V1 w/ 3-stage Q5 WF and OP reflector:

SF G2 w/ Malkoff M60 Q5 w/ AW R123's, notice how the spill just floods out:

Rayovac 3-Watt 2AA:

Dereelight CL1H V3 3-Stage Q5 WF Smooth Reflector:

Ultrafire C2 HA modded to Q5 with AW R123's:

Dereelight DBS 3-Stage Q5 WF Smooth reflector:

EdgeTac Raidfire Spear:

Malkoff SSC 1A in Mag 2D w/3C's:

TerraLux 6EXB in Mag 3D:

Fenix P2D Q2:

Tiablo A1 Energizer Lithium AAA:

Fenix LOD-CE Q4 Energizer Lithium AAA:

Zebralight HD-Q5 Energizer Lithium (Lots of flood):

EdgeTac Nitecore Defender AW 14500:

SF E2E:

Mag 6D Xenon:

Ultrafire WF-500 :duck:

Coleman 2MCP:

Generic 10MCP:

Well, maybe not the best testing environment, but I was bored. :) Maybe next time I'll try my garage since it's larger, and darker (at night time).

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the beam shots WadeF.

Thanks 5.0Trunk. BTW, a fun thing to try is to click on a couple of my pics (so they open in seperate browsers), maximize each browser window, then click the browser tabs at the bottom of the screen on the windows task bar to switch between them. You should be able to change pics without them moving so you see the difference in the beams as you switch between the various shots.

If you have a browser with tabbed viewing, right click on the pics you want and select "Open in new tab", then you can just click on the various tabs to go between shots.

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
I will try that WadeF. BTW, looking at the DBS image, is it "Ringy"? I heard it was at close range but you couldn't tell at distances. I can't see any in the image.

Thanks

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will try that WadeF. BTW, looking at the DBS image, is it "Ringy"? I heard it was at close range but you couldn't tell at distances. I can't see any in the image.

Thanks

Yeah, it's kinda ringy on a white wall, but it's hard to notice unless you're looking at the beam on a white wall. :)

With the OP reflector installed in the DBS it has one of the best beams I've ever seen, very clean.

Green Lantern

Newly Enlightened
:wave:Dude, I see only 16 flashlights. What's wrong you don't like flashlight?

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
With the OP reflector installed in the DBS it has one of the best beams I've ever seen, very clean.

Thats what I currently have in my DBS 2SM. I have a smooth reflector and a 3SD module coming real soon, hopefully this week.

BillMPL

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your work, very appreciated!
As they say, a picture's worth a thousand words.

Bill

Last edited:

Ned-L

Enlightened
Nice photos. I really enjoy all the effort that you put into evaluating lights and the great information that you share with everyone!

SaVaGe

Enlightened
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I was debating if i want to order Malkoff M60 because i have the P60. Also the Nitecore defender, and T1. I think you helped me commit myself to buying those lights:thumbsup:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your basement really is messy. :p

Interesting that all those high powered lights look more or less the same brightness.

djblank87

Enlightened
Thanks for the pictures WadeF, good stuff. I cant wait till I get my DBS and according to Mr. EMS tracking she arrived state side today. :thumbsup:

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love your basement!!! Wish I had one like that to store and play with my junk.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love your basement!!! Wish I had one like that to store and play with my junk.

Hehe, thanks. I've always lived in older homes. This place was built around 1920. When I moved in the basement was pretty bad. I had to scrub it all down, put that white water seal stuff on the walls, paint the floors, etc. It's still not much to look at, but I'm used to old basements like that. :) On the left I have a desk which has become my flashlight tinkering station. All kinds of parts, etc. I have some of my older computers down there, some of my photography flash equipment, etc. I try to be careful to keep everything off the floor incase it ever floods. :) I'm afraid my garage doesn't look much better at the moment. I moved a bunch of junk around to get the house in order for the holidays. :)

Illum

Flashaholic
nice beamshots WadeF, I think its safe to say the zebralight is the best choice in your collection to read with ;)

Your basement really is messy. :p

Interesting that all those high powered lights look more or less the same brightness.

the camera has a limit before its overloaded
and various intensities of lights having relatively the same radius or spot of dispersion can only be observed if shot manually with the exposure stepped down

Last edited: