F&L J1 upgrade

Enlightened
Hi all,

I could use a bit of advice. I've got a couple F&L J1s that currently use 3W Luxeons. I'd like to upgrade these lights to something brighter. Ideally I'd like to just replace the emitters, but if I need to upgrade the drivers, I'm willing to give that a try too.

Thanks
Mark

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can swap the LuxIII for an SSC P4 emitter. You may need to space up the SSC approx. .030", but it's not always necessary (depending on the reflector). Further up = more focused, smaller hotspot. Stock height = floodier (assuming the reflector doesn't give a donut hole beam). I've done several of my previous Luxogen (the ones from Waion which were amazing quality) lights the same way with SSC P4s and they're bright with great beams.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should be really easy to make happen, nothing glued or potted so everything is easy to get to. I've got 2 myself but I haven't modded them yet.

Enlightened
Thanks,

I ordered some SSCs from Kai Domain and am just waiting for delivery. If the upgrade works out well, I'll have a few LEDs left over to breathe new life into some old favorites .