L1-Lumamax-thingy - have I been ripped off?

TheMae

Newly Enlightened
Hi all!

This is my first post here, so please excuse any n00b-ness I might display.

Anyway, I recently purchased my first SureFire, an L1 Lumamax (well, actually I got a Devastator at the same time too), and after playing a little with it, it seems to have somewhere along the lines of 1-2 lumen output on low, certainly not the 10 lumen advertised. Though the max output could possibly be in the 60-ish range (compared to my old 32 lumen TIROS 1W Inova XO)

The beam is certainly similar the this one:
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_l1gen2.htm

I bought it from Global Gizmos:
http://globalgizmos.co.uk/product_detail.php?pid=874

Where the specs cited are exactly the same as on SureFire's site:
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/932/sesent/00

It also seems as if the light that was shipped to me has a longer "L1 Lumamax" section on the side than the one on the Surefire site, and my L1 does not have a "frosted" glass, rather a smooth lens.

On the packaging it states 22 Max lumen Output and 90 Hours Low Beam Runtime - it does not state "NEW - higher output - more runtime" like on this ebay photo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Surefire-L1-Lum...227561QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL0801271520a35003

So, simply put, do I have a case or is the light as advertised on the site?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I don't have an L1 but I'm sure someone more famialiar with them will chime in soon. It sounds like you got one of the older models. I believe the low on the older L1's was very low (like 2-3 lumens) and had a really long runtime. Hope someone more knowledgeable can answer your question for sure.

MstrHnky

Enlightened
it sounds like you don't have the 6th generation cree (the newest model)

check out this thread to see which light you have
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/151425

i have a 5th generation surefire L1 which is easily identified by the TIR optic (somewhat of an aspheric lens) and round body (rounded where it says L1 digital lumamax - the 4th gen has a squared body, i believe).

in any case, L1 is a great light, but if you paid the full $135, i'd suggest you return it for the newest, and so far, only, cree model.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you got the Luxeon (older) version of it. That's not necessarily all bad, since the low runtime is longer. But the beam will likely be bluer and the output will be lower.

ja10

Enlightened
It sounds like you got an older version of the L1. I would send it back. I have this light, and it's great, but you didn't get what you paid for.

MstrHnky

Enlightened
you're not going to find anyone around here that says you've been "ripped off" no matter what version you have. the surefire L1 seems to be the holy grail around here. :grin2:

i picked one up myself a week ago (i got the deal of a lifetime) and planned on getting a milkyspit upgrade. now my plans have changed. i need a thrower, and had my dx order cancelled because the light was back ordered so i decided to take my refunded money and am going to sell my surefire L1 to buy a dereelight dbs v2 in the very near future.

if my dx deal worked out, i would have kept my L1, had milkyspit mod it, and probably had my favorite light. i wouldn't be surprised if i end up with another L1 sometime down the road...

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi TheMae and :welcome:

You have not been ripped off but you surely have a Luxeon L1 and not a CREE L1. From the picture in the second link it appears clearly that the clip stops in the middle of the body while the CREE version is shorter and the clip arrives to the tailcap.

There is a very clear picture of the two in this post:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2335912&postcount=2

But as someone already said the Luxeon L1 is an excellent torch. :)

:wave:

TheMae

Newly Enlightened
Wow... That's some swift response! And thanks for the welcome.

While I agree this light is quite a light, I cannot help feel somehow - not ripped off, but you know... Well, ripped off, as this is not what I ordered.

Anyway, thank you for the clarity, it is definitely longer than the cree version. I have taken a length measurement, and it is not what is advertised on the site, so they clearly have the specs of the cree version up there.

I think I will take it back.

Thanks again.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Sounds like you got the Luxeon III version. Biggest difference is that the front window (lens) is no longer domed, it is now flat.

scottaw

Enlightened
From the link to globalgizmo's website....the picture they have listed is the 2nd gen light....the specs they have listed are for the 3rd generation (newest) light. So, if your light looks like their picture...they have falsely advertized by mis-stating the lumen ratings. Send it back for a refund, and you should be able to find a Cree L1 (newest gen) for around 100-110 on the B/S/T forums here.

And....Welcome to CPF, great first choice in lights, i own several L1's of all generations. Feel free to PM me with any other Q's about your light.

MstrHnky

Enlightened
Wow... That's some swift response! And thanks for the welcome.

While I agree this light is quite a light, I cannot help feel somehow - not ripped off, but you know... Well, ripped off, as this is not what I ordered.

Anyway, thank you for the clarity, it is definitely longer than the cree version. I have taken a length measurement, and it is not what is advertised on the site, so they clearly have the specs of the cree version up there.

I think I will take it back.

Thanks again.

if you're going to pay full price, there is no reason not to have the latest and greatest.

i paid $50 for a gen 5 L1 last week (display model at gander mountain - and had a buddy's discount :D) so i can't complain if it's not the brightest in the world.

my jetbeam cl-e v2 is a better all around edc though, it has less throw but much more spill, and is a lot smaller). my L1 is almost all throw because of the optic... not the most useful for use around the house.

my L1 may soon be up for sale because i've decided to buy a dereelight dbs.

zulu45

Enlightened
I would definitely take it back, but that's just me, personally, due to my needs. Your needs would be different. But I love the Cree model, and I wouldn't buy an older one when this is in the room, personally.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
From your description, it is the L1 Luxeon version, 22lm high and 2.1 lumens low. Its 5.3 inches in lgth compared to the cree's 4.52 inches. It has the Torios optics and the beamshap is somewhat squarish.

I had an L1 as above and now the cree version. IMHO...
1. Prefer the cree physical length. 4.52" compared to 5.5"
2. Prefer the cree output on high @65lmn against 22lmns
3. Prefer the Luxeoun low output at 2.2 lmns, cree's 10 lumens too bright.
4. Prefer the longer running L1 Lux.

Comparing them both, go with the L1 cree.....

knightrider

Enlightened
Wouldn't say you were ripped off but I would return it also. They probably got the specs off the SF site recently and didn't know that they didn't have that exact cree model. I don't think it was intentional. You should send it back for a refund and email them letting them know that their specs are incorrect. Haven't had both the last and now the new cree version, both are awesome lights, hope you get the cree version without too much trouble.

shinbone

Newly Enlightened
As a dealer they are stuck with all the lights they buy. Dealers cannot send them back to Surefire to exchange for new releases so they may be trying to discretely dump their old stock on unsuspecting buyers. They are giving you the wrong specs for the light and charging you the full price for a discontinued model. I would recommend returning it and demand the newer light or a full refund if they do not have the new ones.