Driver for LED 10w, 30w, 50w?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
this depends on the battery You plan to use.

for now: check the Voltage the led needs, check Your batt, decide if you need step-up or step-down driver.

Most surprising, even the 2 "more powerful" (if they are) leds could be run with normal step-up drivers because their input voltage is low enough

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Re: LED 10w, 30w, 50w.

Both the 30 and 50 watt one look like they will be bad with reflectors.

The input voltage would be needed to know what drivers you'll need.

I'm guessing this 10 watt and this 50 watt LED are the same LEDs, so you might be able to use the info form those pages.

:welcome:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Eh, the 50W's die is 18mm in diameter, I don't know how can you focus that with a reasonable sized package.

shenzhen

Newly Enlightened

I am agree with you, for these LEDs it is difficult to make good focusing, but for diving, for photograph under water it is not necessary to do a small corner, it is not necessary to do focusing...
For LED 30w I have li-ion 5x4500mA.
A current of consumption of a LED:
1,7A 18v = 30,6w
3,5A 19,5v = 68W
6A 21v = 126W! (for cooling I has put it in a water... Has died in 30 seconds...)

If the battery is completely charged 4,2v x 5 = 21v
So, the driver is necessary to me.
Where it is possible to buy the ready to use driver?
Help.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
my bad, didnt check for the current.

imho there is NO ready made driver that can give those currents. They are all built to give the Voltage needed but 1 A max.
So the 10 W could be used with any step-down circuit.

For the other You will have to search national semiconductors.
http://www.national.com/appinfo/power/
apply Your data in the maks in the middle and have it find some ICs, then read their datasheets and build a dirver

estoydpaso

Newly Enlightened
May be this could be helpful for you.

I am in the same situation than you, DIY'ing the best possible led diving torch.

But as I had seen, the Dive Light Genie is your drive.

I am still building, but the driver that Mathew builds is perfect. I tested and works perfectly with 35W or 50W halogen bulbs, or with the 20W led that I bought.:thumbsup:

Meanwhile, I've learned that it is going to be difficult to have a narrow beam with that led, and I am going to try with the famous 1120lm led ostar when it arrives home.

I think that this drive will work with your led, because it works with mine, and I feed it with a 4 cell LiPo battery 4x3.7v 5A. The driver gives you 0.75A, 1A or 1.5A in that range of voltages.
Mathew also tolds me that the Genie will work with others configurations like the 4x ostar that I would like to buy when it become cheaper.
Anyway ask him because he can program de driver adapted to your light/desires.