NEED ADVICE! Multimeter

da.gee

Enlightened
Sears has the following DMM on sale for $19.95 (reg 29.95). I mostly want to use this to measure battery voltage and may eventually use it for other things. Until I figure out what those other things might be I don't want to sink a lot of money into a DMM. Would this be an okay "starter" DMM? Leads good enough quality?

CraftsmanDMM

Also I have found this model under several guises (e.g. Mastech) and it is interesting because it has a Lux meter and dB meter among other things. Scares me a bit since it is likely to need recalibrating from what I've read. Recalibrating instructions can be had from manufacturer but require known voltages, etc to dial it in.

VA Multimeter

I value accuracy but how accurate do I need to be to to mostly be measuring voltage?

Your thoughts appreciated.

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: Craftsman Digital Multimeter

how accurate do I need to be to to mostly be measuring voltage?
It depends what you are going to be doing, but if you are just checking batteries etc you should aim for accuracy to 0.01V or preferably better. Accuracy to 0.02V would be less than ideal but better than no voltmeter at all. 0.05V or worse would be unacceptable.

da.gee

Enlightened

Thank you. I will look for those specs.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi there,

I have the Craftsman meter mentioned. It's ok i guess, but some of
the specs are misleading. The Frequency doesnt go up to as high
as they claim it does.
Also, the low ohms range bounces around a bit making it hard to
measure low ohms resistors. For example, if you connect a 0.5
ohm resistor it might bounce from 0.3 to 0.7 ohms, then back down
again. The only way to know the correct value is to observe both
values and calculate the center or average value.
I've never seen a meter bounce like this before.

The volts read ok though, no bounce.
Percent duty cycle works ok.

Oh yeah, one nice feature about this meter is that it has a 'relative'
button. Pressing this button zeros out the meter as you apply a
signal such as a voltage. This allows you to get another digit
accuracy for voltages that go above the meters 3 and 3/4 digit range.
For example, say you have a Li-ion cell that reads 4.2 volts. On most
meters (incldg this one) it will read
4.20 (note 3 digits)
while there is another digit to the left which can only go up to 3.
If instead you first apply a cell that has 3.000 volts across it for example,
it will read 3.000v (note 4 digits). If you then press the 'relative' button
it will read 0.000v (note 4 digits). If you then again connect the 4.2v
cell it will read 1.200v (note 4 digits) which is the difference between the
first cell (3.000v) and the li ion cell (4.200v). This gives you 4 digits
while reading it directly on this and other meters only gives you 3 digits.
So the difference is you can read an equivalent 4.200v instead of 4.20v
which is an entire extra digit.
This 'relative' reading is good for comparisons too, when you want to
compare say two cells, you can press the relative button with one cell
connected and then measure the other cell and you will see the difference
displayed instead of the actual cell voltage.

The actual accuracy doesnt really improve, but it works very good
for comparisons when you want to know the small difference between
two different signal sources.

da.gee

Enlightened

Thanks MrAl,

I have not purchased it yet. I decided I didn't know enough to make an informed decision so I will research a little more. Seems you can't go wrong with a Fluke but the entry price is steep. Unfortunately I have a hard time compromising on stuff like this so I'll probably end up spending more than I should and not use half the features to ensure the features I do use are accurate and believable.

Thanks again.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have not purchased it yet. I decided I didn't know enough to make an informed decision so I will research a little more. Seems you can't go wrong with a Fluke but the entry price is steep. Unfortunately I have a hard time compromising on stuff like this so I'll probably end up spending more than I should and not use half the features to ensure the features I do use are accurate and believable. Thanks again.

I don't own that particular Craftsman but did have a similar one. They seem to be more rugged than other cheap meters I've had. My Craftsman was dropped several times and bounced around in a tool box, and was still working fine until I lost it. Several Radio Shack cheapy meters I had did not survive the same abuse for long.

For their price, Craftsman meters are a decent value. Sears has some minimum standards for their Craftsman lineup and traditionally has had a generous policy for returns.

You wouldn't go wrong getting that Craftsman for measuring battery voltages and tailcap currents. Plenty accurate for those uses.

Fluke meters are better for precision electronics and heavy duty industrial use - and Fluke prices reflect this.

You certainly don't need a Fluke for ordinary flashlight applications.

Russianesq

Enlightened

So is there any suggestions on what to get if you are going to measure flashlight batteries only?

:thumbsup:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, if I had the extra $ for one, I'd think about getting a ZTS multi-battery tester. There are other meters that will check batteries but these look simple to use and cover a wide (No, I mean really wide. No, I mean REALLY wide) assortment of batteries, as in the ranges of size, type, voltage, etc. They are testers and not DMM's, and they display on a bar graph (pros and cons vs. a digital multimeter there obviously).

Check them out. Not cheap but not outrageously expensive either if you're serious about checking your batteries and want to do so fast and often.

da.gee

Enlightened

After looking at Flukes I'm not scared of ZTS!

Jenova

Enlightened
Looking @ Buying a DMM

I'm looking at spending around $50/$60 for a good multimeter
I am wanting it to measure the normal stuff volts, ohms, amps (20A) also would like it to have a temp monitor

I'm tossing between the 2
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=629
and
a 3.5 Digit Auto Backlight Digital Multimeter
From www.dse.com.au
I'm steering towards the DSE one
Any Advice Or If you can recommend me something better from either of those 2 stores it would be a great help

Thanks

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Looking @ Buying a DMM

I have an inexpensive Craftsman meter #82139 that has more functions than I'll ever use and if you buy a probe it does temp function too. You won't probably find a stock DMM that will handle 20 amps without a shunt or an inductive pickup. 99% of them will do 10 amps only. I got this meter on sale for 20 bucks or so. For household use it's great, if your gonna use it for work I would step up to a Fluke meter but you won't find one for $60. One thing I would HIGHLY recommend is spend the extra money for good silicone leads with interchangeable ends, it makes your meter so much easier to use. Techni-Tool and Jensen tool are good places to look as well. Have fun and get some extra fuses too. metersupport.com/pages/82139.html

Last edited:

Jenova

Enlightened

I have an inexpensive Craftsman meter #82139 that has more functions than I'll ever use and if you buy a probe it does temp function too. You won't probably find a stock DMM that will handle 20 amps without a shunt or an inductive pickup. 99% of them will do 10 amps only. I got this meter on sale for 20 bucks or so. For household use it's great, if your gonna use it for work I would step up to a Fluke meter but you won't find one for $60. One thing I would HIGHLY recommend is spend the extra money for good silicone leads with interchangeable ends, it makes your meter so much easier to use. Techni-Tool and Jensen tool are good places to look as well. Have fun and get some extra fuses too. metersupport.com/pages/82139.html

Yeh its for home use and both these multimeters can handle 20A
I might get the DSE one after christmas

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast

You might want to check your specs again sir, none of the ones listed will handle 20 amps either AC or DC. Either that or buy some fuses, you will need them.

Akita

Newly Enlightened

:huh: Skip the hype and buy a Fluke.

Fairly decent used Model 12's can be found in pawn shops or on eBay for less than $50.00...common as dirt.

Very reliable and accurate digital meter for the money...and it's a Fluke.

Unless you just need a technician level Fluke that can set you back $400.00 or more for a true RMS,the lower priced entry models are rock solid.

Amprobe also makes a decent digital multimeter...just not as fancy as a Fluke.

One guy at work uses a Samsung digital MM and after 10 years of hard use it's still as accurate as my $450.00 Fluke...so color me impressed.

Good luck :>)

:thumbsup:

Jenova

Enlightened

You might want to check your specs again sir, none of the ones listed will handle 20 amps either AC or DC. Either that or buy some fuses, you will need them.

i just did hey

A solidly built 3.5 digit multimeter with a large auto sensing backlit LCD screen, wide voltage ranges, up to 20 Amp current measurement, plus Frequency, Temperature and Capacitance readings. Includes inbuilt stand, Continuity buzzer, Data Hold, Sleep mode to reduce battery consumption, low battery indicator, and a high 10M ohm input impedance for DC voltage measurements. Supplied with Test leads and a K-type point contact thermocouple probe.

Features:
  • Auto sensing backlit LCD screen
  • 3.5 digits (max display 1999)
  • Data Hold and Sleep mode
  • Inbuilt stand
  • Includes test leads and K-type point contact temperature probe
  • Ranges :
  • DCV: 200mV, 2V, 20V, 200V: +⁄-(0.5% + 1 digit)⁄ 1000V: +⁄-(0.8% + 2 digits)
  • ACV: 2V, 20V, 200V: +⁄-(0.8% + 3 digits) ⁄ 750V: +⁄-(1.2% + 3 digits)
  • DCA: 20mA: +⁄-(0.8% + 1 digit) ⁄ 200mA: +⁄-(1.5% + 1 digit) ⁄ 20A: +⁄-(2.0% + 5 digits)
  • ACA: 20mA +⁄-(1.0 + 3 digits) ⁄ 200mA: +⁄-(1.8% + 3 digits) ⁄ 20A: +⁄-(3.0% + 5 digits)
  • Resistance: 200 ohms: +⁄-(0.8%+3 digits) ⁄ 2k ohms, 20k ohms, 200k ohms, 2M ohms: +⁄-(0.8%+1 digit) ⁄ 200M ohms: +⁄- 5% (reading -10 digits)+ 10 digits
  • Frequency: 2kHz: +⁄-(2.0%+ 5 digits), 20kHz: +⁄-(1.5%+ 5 digits)
  • Temperature: -40ºC to 0ºC: +⁄-(3.0%+ 3 digits) ⁄ 0ºC to 400°C: +⁄-(1.0%+ 3 digits) ⁄ 400ºC to 1000ºC: +⁄-(2.5%). Supplied thermocouple covers -40ºC to 250ºC
  • Capacitance: 20nF, 200nF: +⁄-(4.0%+ 3 digits) ⁄ 2uF: +⁄-(4.0%+ 3 digits) ⁄ 100uF: +⁄-(5.0%+ 4 digits)
  • Diode test: Open circuit voltage approx. 3V
  • Continuity test: buzzer sounds for resistance less than 70 ohms
  • Power source : 9V battery
http://www.dse.com.au/isroot/dse/images/products/q1458.jpg

Please correct me if im wrong ?
im just reading the specs

As for the fluke thier realy expensive even second hand ones in aus,
I think i will have to give fluke a miss
just did a search on amp probe and cant find anything in aus :(

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I didn't find any specs on your link but hey, I'll take your word for it. Color me impressed! Just tryin to be helpful, hate to see ya burn up a meter. Don't ask how I found out!

Last edited:

Jenova

Enlightened

I didn't find any specs on your link but hey, I'll take your word for it. Color me impressed! Just tryin to be helpful, hate to see ya burn up a meter. Don't ask how I found out!

yeh i know what u mean hey
thanks for the help probley go buy if after christmas

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have this meter as well, for $20 it's tough to beat IMO. You can't really expect great accuracy for a $20 DMM. Whatever meter you end up getting I would invest in a GOOD set of silicone test leads that you can swap ends on, they make the meter so much easier to use. Sears usually has em right next to the meters and they will cost as much as this meter, maybe more but they are well worth it. The stock leads that come with most meters are JUNK, Fluke being a notable exception. Have fun! Good places to check are Jensen tools and Techni-tool, they have a wide variety of stuff to check out. If your into that kind of thing their catalog will be hard to put down!

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic

I have this meter as well, for $20 it's tough to beat IMO. You can't really expect great accuracy for a $20 DMM.
Agreed, $20 is very good value, if it is reasonably accurate. As a matter of interest, how accurate is it - has anyone done a calibration test with one, using a known accurate DMM?

Whatever meter you end up getting I would invest in a GOOD set of silicone test leads that you can swap ends on, they make the meter so much easier to use. Sears usually has em right next to the meters and they will cost as much as this meter, maybe more but they are well worth it. The stock leads that come with most meters are JUNK, Fluke being a notable exception. Have fun! Good places to check are Jensen tools and Techni-tool, they have a wide variety of stuff to check out. If your into that kind of thing their catalog will be hard to put down!
I agree - silicone leads make life a LOT easier.

nutz_about_lights

Enlightened
Hey fellow CPFers, I'm looking to buy a digital multimeter, like those found on DealExtreme's website. I understand that there are 2 different types of digital multimeters, one with the complex numbers surrounding the knob and the other which is the autoranging multimeter.

I'm planning to use the multimeter to measure currents in circuits and my batteries' voltages. Which type of multimeter should I choose? Thanks, I'm a noob when it comes to this. :eek:oo: