Reading Lights -- compilation of discussions & dedicated reading lights feedback

stangri

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks, I've stumbled upon this forum when looking for the DX flashlight reviews but also read up what's been said on the dedicated reading lights, the subject which is sort of neglected here :)

I have compiled a list of links to the previous discussions which are mostly focused around flashlight/headlight/desklight/floorlight use for reading.

Which flashlight for reading?

Which flashlight for reading in bed?

Which headlamp for reading in bed? (1)

Which headlamp for reading in bed? (2)

Bedside Reading Light ideas.

High-quality reading floor-light discussion.

Reading Light for Use In a Dark Car

$1 Target Reading Light

Full Spectrum Reading Light for 2 for Camping

How many lumens for comfortable reading?

Sort of OFF-Topic: Can you strain your eyes from too much reading?

Sort of related: Music Stand Light

I personally have some recommendations for the true reading lights from my somewhat limited experience in the area and would welcome other CPF members to contribute theirs.

The cheap (button cell) lights are horrible -- they provide a very bright but small spot, so there's a visible brightness difference on the same page which really strains the eye. I would not recommend them to anyone doing any kind of reading excessing 1 page at a time.

The second least liked light was a Verilux Natural Reading Light -- based on the good reviews I've ordered two, but they totally suck. They light up a small horizontal portion of the page, so there's again a visible brightness difference within the same page, even tho it's not anywhere as bad as with the $1 reading lights.

I then stumbled upon a foldable light at Barnes and Noble, unfortunately I was quick to discard the packaging so I have no clue what it's called and lacking a camera now I can't post a good picture, but it's a black stick-shaped light with two "vertical" LEDs which unfolds into r-shaped reading light. It has a sliding on/off switch. I actually liked it alot, it was only 8 bucks, it folds into a stick so it's easy to transport/carry and you can use it for other tasks when reading. The only problem is that it feeds off the two AAA-batteries which have shorter (than AA batteries) lifespan.

And then recently I have ordered the Zelco Max.5 LED reading light which is now my favourite. It has just one LED, it has a great flood and it takes two AA batteries which (when Alkaline) seem to last forever. The Max.5 has a push-button on the back which is 2-modes: Low/High/Off. The push-button is sank into the battery compartment and would probably be impossible to operate in gloves. The only real gripe is that the LED could have been attached to a collapsable stick, as it is now it's not that compact to take with you on the plane and the LED-stick is sort of thin so I'm concerned for its survival when it's tossed in the bag.

I have NOT tried any other Zelco lights, but from my experience with their Max.5 product I'd think these guys know what they're doing.

I have also NOT tried the WedgeLight, since it's way to big for the e-ink readers I've been using (Sony ones).

Also, from my experience with the lights I've had -- only Max.5 could be good as a universal light for reading softcover and hardcover books, as it provides a great flood with a minimal hotspot and could light up both pages simultaneously.

If anyone else has experience with the dedicated reading lights, please post it here. Since there's no section for reading lights, maybe this post can be made into a sticky?